Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Will CDs go up in the next year?
Old 09-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Will CDs go up in the next year?

Good discussion. Another thing I recently realized is that my decisions to fill rungs on my lumpy ladder are being influenced heavily by anticipation of SS at FRA. In 4 yrs my need for FI will drop noticeably. I use a bar graph that shows maturity date vs value to get a graphic image of where the holes are. I haphazardly added a bar at FRA and instantly all the gaps beyond that date became insignificant.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fed just raised rates again the other day and plan on doing it 3 more times next year. So I'd say that there should be an excellent chance of CD's going up next year.

That said, I prefer dividend stocks to CD's. They raise the dividend long term and often do splits. So I normally don't do much with CD's.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Agree, between this latest rate increase and what's projected, we're looking at 3%+ in the coming months. Certainly much better then what we had not long ago.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post

Fed just raised rates again the other day and plan on doing it 3 more times next year. So I'd s
ay that there should be an excellent chance of CD's going up next year.

The interest rate on my local bank 5 year "variable CD" automatically goes up the next month every time the Fed increases the funds rate. I took the CD out about a week ago at the floor rate of 3%. Now that the Fed has raised the interest rate .25, October 1 my variable CD interest rate goes up to 3.25%. Every time the Fed raises the rate, my variable CD will automatically go up the next month. Should the Fed lower the rate, my rate will also go down... but my interest rate will never go down below the initial 3%.

Variable CD

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote