Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

will my capital gains be mostly tax free
Old 11-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

will my capital gains be mostly tax free

Hi my wife and I hold wellington as 100% of our portfolio. I have settled on this (probably) as my allocation as it (although not AS DIVERSIFIED- ie, large cap value) seems to throw off a moderate income and has weathered downturns well. It is a good all around fund. The only issue with the fund in taxable is that its dividends are 40% taxable in the 15% bracket as only 60%of its dividends are qualified.

With 2 M in this portfolio we have about 52k in dividends x 0.4 = 20,800 in taxable dividends. We do not have a mortgage so this would consume all of the standard deduction and go over I believe (standard ded. is around 20k).

It would have also had 28,000 shares x 2.26 in long term capital gains= 63k in longterm capital gains. So what would be my tax liability if the whole portfolio was in taxable accounts. In reality, 20% of the portfolio is in IRA's. I believe a married couple can earn around 95k and still remain in 15% bracket.
Quantum Sufficit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rough numbers....52K div, 63K LTCG = AGI 115K less exemptions/deductions of 20K leaves taxable income about 95K. Top of 15% bracket about 74K so 21K in 25% bracket taxed at 15% so about 3-4K in taxes. Use taxcaster or HR Block tax calculator (google) for a better estimate.

from the Block calculator:

Taxable Income -$94700
Adjusted Gross income (AGI)$115000
std. deduction$12400
Personal exemptions$7900
Taxes + $3185Payments
You will owe$3185
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:40 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually, since OP said ~20% is in tax-deferred accounts, that should drop the $115k of AGI down to ~$92k and TI down to ~$72k so there might be no federal tax. But you are right, OP just needs to run his situation through Taxcaster or similar tool.

I like Income Tax Calculator - Tax-Rates.org because it covers state income taxes as well.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I like Income Tax Calculator - Tax-Rates.org because it covers state income taxes as well.
Slick-looking .........unfortunately it, like Taxcaster (which I had forgotten) seems not to handle extreme cases of QDIV/LTCG like OP's and gives a much higher number (14K)........there was a statement that it was calculating 15% on all of the QDIV/LTCG.

It also doesn't allow entry of total ordinary dividends/qualified dividends like the 1040 . You can do a workaround by lumping QDIV with LTCG but that wouldn't work if you had negative CGs. Their lumping of STCG w/ interest/dividends also looks suspicious but I couldn't enter a negative LTCG to see how LTCG and STCG would interact in this calculator.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I do work around by including QDivs with LTCG and unqualified dividends with interest. I wish the input was more granular. However, with the workaround the result is the same as TT.

What is a negative LTCG? I don't have any of those. That said, I concede that the input should allow LTCLs.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
However, with the workaround the result is the same as TT.

The workarounds are perhaps not so useful for the folks who aren't as familiar with taxes.........asking for the taxable SS as input e.g. is a better case.

TT also used to be my go-to standard until this issue of extreme QDIV/LTCG came up a short time ago. I pointed it out to TT and, I believe, they conceded they had a coding error but as of today it remains unfixed . I've switched to the HR Block calculator which seems to calculate this type of situation correctly.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #7

Quote:
I do work around by including QDivs with LTCG and unqualified dividends with interest. I wish the input was more granular. However, with the workaround the result is the same as TT.
Sorry, in my previous remarks, I was confusing TT w/ Taxcaster. I think the free Taxcaster has the error resulting in 14K taxes but I believe others have told me that TT (not free) does not have the error. I was unable to get what I believe is the correct answer using your linked calculator and doing a workaround so now I am confused.

Are you saying you can get a 3K+ tax using the linked calculator and the workaround or are you saying that both the linked calculator and TT give the same 14K+ tax and were you using TT to mean Taxcaster or the real Turbotax?
Old 11-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

No, both TT and the linked calculator with the workaround give me the $3k+ tax result (also same income, AGI, TI). The tax result was within $35.

One odd thing that the calculator did was it showed exemptions of $7,800 but used $7,900 of exemptions in calculating TI from AGI, but that is a nit

Old 11-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #9

OK, I'm stumped.........I input 20.8K for interest and (63+ 31.2)K for LTCG in the linked calculator and got 14+K for taxes. What am I doing wrong?
also MFJ, 2 exemptions, std deduction
Old 11-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
OK, I'm stumped.........I input 20.8K for interest and (63+ 31.2)K for LTCG in the linked calculator and got 14+K for taxes. What am I doing wrong?
also MFJ, 2 exemptions, std deduction
I get the same result and adjusting the LTCG I think that calculator is screwed up. It worked ok for me since I was limiting income to the top of the 15% tax bracket where it seems to work ok.

This one seems to do it right as the result is $3+k which is about 15% of the excess of TI of $94.7k over the top of the 15% tax bracket of $72.5k. If I put those numbers in TT then I get ~$3,500 of tax.

Too bad too because the thing I liked about the taxrates.org calculator is that it included state income taxes.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #11

ok, thanks for the confirmation that the previously linked calculator has a bug (same as Taxcaster). At first I didn't notice that "This one" was an active link and I was going crazy trying to understand what "This" was referring to. I had previously seen that moneychimp calculator link on another thread and agree that it seems to work ok for the purposes of OP.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #12

Looks like the LTCG/QDIV bug in Taxcaster has been fixed in the 2014 version which appeared recently. Bug appeared when calculating with inputs such that
some LTCG/QDIV appeared in the 25% bracket and the 15% rate was applied to the whole amount instead of just the overflow.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #13

TaxAct free version is available for download. I haven't checked the calcs but the Capital Gains Worksheet should work as it did in the 2013 version.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote