Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJO View Post
What is the one thing you fantacized about having when you were a kid? Now go buy it.
He's already 'playing doctor', so maybe he should move on to the second thing...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Travel...Some Trips overseas will have you fill your budget in no time.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Adopt a couple of local charities and work with them to spend your money. Help some kids go to college. Sounds like a great way to spend money and feel great. On the practical side, you can scale the donations to fit within your current budget because they will be mostly discretionary if you don't commit too heavily.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 AM   #24

I already have one but she is very independent and would not take any money from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravis
Get a girlfriend. You'll be burning cash in no time at all.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #25

Yes to your first question.

The answer to your second question is no. I don't even even claim tax deductions on my support to charities, free clinics where I volunteer, and Mision projects abroad. I always forget to mention this to the HR Block guy. Maybe I should.

I graduated in Europe, up to my doctorate, debt free.

I don't feel any spirituality when I pray. I only feel spiritual when I take care of the poor and the under served.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky
Does that include medical insurance, transportation, taxes, housing, food, taxes and taxes? If spending on charity is benefiting you by making you feel better and providing you a tax deduction, isn't that spending on yourself? If you are spending money on college tuition for your kids so they can be self sufficient, isn't that spending on yourself? My point is, if any of your spending benefits you in anyway, physically, spiritually or legally, count it. I am sure by expanding the definition of benefit and yourself you can achieve your goal.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #26

Well I have already paid my monthly assessment and credit card. So the two biggest monthly costs to me are paid already for the month. Gave cash to a mother with 3 kids whose husband is being deported. The rest, I guess, is the phone bill and food. I will be under $2,500 for the month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

Think again! Today is January 14th, which is only 2 weeks into the year. You have spent $2000. Your spending is at a rate of $1000/week. There are 52 weeks in the year, so at this rate you will spend $52,000 this year. So far, you have succeeded in meeting your goal. Relax!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #27

Thank you, Meadbh, for your kind and thoughtful comments - as always. All your points are all taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
First of all, if you are like most of us, expenses are not smoothly distributed throughout the month, so 14 days is too small a sample.

Second, nobody should feel obliged to spend money every week just for the sake of meeting some arbitrary number. Things might look very different to you in April when you suddenly get an idea for a vacation you would like to take, and your spending, prorated for 4 months, tells you that you can do it with a clear conscience.

Third, it may not be a bad thing to underspend your planned SWR if, as you do, a person does not have growth assets in his/her portfolio.

Fourth, assuming that inflation does not eliminate this problem over time, and if your chronic underspending is becoming a burden to you, there are countless charitable organizations who will be only too happy to liberate you from your excess wealth. You might even get tax deductions.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about being LBYM. We all are to some extent. I had a surplus of $15K from what I allocated to personal expenses in 2012 and last week I used it to pay down debt on investment property, thereby shortening the amortization, and the wait for it to become an income stream, by 3 years. I also dumped $5500 of 2013's expenses into my TFSA (like a Roth) so I've already "spent" a bundle this year....except that I haven't really spent it, just moved money around.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #28

Because I am afraid of having a selfish life. Maybe it's my turn to have a mid life crisis :-). I see so much poverty around me and in third world countries, I am embarrassed sometimes of my/our standard of living here while so many have so little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd

Then why force yourself to spend more? Sounds like a waste.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #29

Sorry if you feel that way about my thread, steelyman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman
... just when I thought threads couldn't get more ridiculous.

)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #30

The last thing you want is to 'play'. You never think of this when doing paps or trying to find the right comforting words for a patient who just found out she has breast cancer for example. Be very careful what you wish for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
He's already 'playing doctor', so maybe he should move on to the second thing...
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #31

Yes, done that too. Maybe I should increase my trips or at least fly business class sometimes, especially to Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020
Travel...Some Trips overseas will have you fill your budget in no time.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #32

I have been thinking of adopting a child. Have not told my girlfriend yet. You first heard about it here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph
Adopt a couple of local charities and work with them to spend your money. Help some kids go to college. Sounds like a great way to spend money and feel great. On the practical side, you can scale the donations to fit within your current budget because they will be mostly discretionary if you don't commit too heavily.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #33

I can't believe I just shared this very personal info on a public board. But it does feels like we are among friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65
I have been thinking of adopting a child. Have not told my girlfriend yet. You first heard about it here...
Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
My DW and I adopted a 2 year old boy a few years ago. It's a wonderful gift for the child and yourself. Be prepared to spend more money if that's what you want to do ;-) Well worth it, in our case. YMMV
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJO View Post
What is the one thing you fantacized about having when you were a kid? Now go buy it.

I did yesterday. Went out an spent 4k on a bicycle. Guess it going to be an expensive year! Does anyone have an idea about saving money thru the year? Lets say on Jan 1 my goal is to save 75k for the year. Do I spend anything above that? Any comments wold be great, Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

Are you married?

My wife helps me to overcome that kind of problems. God bless her!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Now that is an absolutely fitting idea.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravis View Post
Now that is an absolutely fitting idea.
Yep. What could possibly go wrong?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #39

Quote:
The last thing you want is to 'play'. You never think of this when doing paps or trying to find the right comforting words for a patient who just found out she has breast cancer for example. Be very careful what you wish for.
If you'd like some help figuring out that strange whooshing sound going over your head, Google "kids playing doctor".

Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #40

I would be most grateful to you if you could please remain focused on the main topic of this thread. Thank you in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
If you'd like some help figuring out that strange whooshing sound going over your head, Google "kids playing doctor".

Closed Thread