Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I would be most grateful to you if you could please remain focused on the main topic of this thread. Thank you in advance.
OK. Maybe spend some money on a sense of humor implant.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about an occasional splurge for things that will make your life easier, more convenient and more enjoyable. Or girlfriend's life easier, more convenient and more enjoyable (which will have a second order effect of making your life more enjoyable).

Like your mention of flying business class when you go to Europe. Personally, after flying to Europe in coach when I was "poor" and flying business and first class as an international consultant, there is no flipping way I would ever again fly to Europe in coach.

Or for your next mission visit, you could sponsor a well, gravity lights or something else that the community you are helping desperately needs.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #43
gone traveling

You sound like a candidate for the Secret Millionaire. The world would be a better place if there were more like you. That said, why obsess over a goal, just do what makes you happy, no need to overthink things.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

What is the goal about?

Too much money beyond living expenses?

Wanting to help others?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
But I just can't seem to be able to spend on myself. I don't really want anything more than what I have now - that's the simple truth.
Perhaps you need to understand better those thoughts. A top rated psychoanalyst in Chicago could help explore that, and at two weekly sessions @$250 or so, contribute to the the original goal.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would be most grateful to you if you could please remain focused on the main topic of this thread. Thank you in advance.
Definitely Dale Carnegie, if not the sense of humor implant.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravis View Post
Get a girlfriend. You'll be burning cash in no time at all.
Quote:
I already have one but she is very independent and would not take any money from me.
The answer is so simple - two girlfriends! Find one that wears lots of jewelry.

And in case you aren't catching on, if that doesn't have you spending enough money.... n+1 girlfriends until you reach your 'goal'.

If only all of life's problems had such simple solutions...

-ERD50
Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
My goal is to spend $50,000 this year for personal expenses. I can afford this, as my spreadsheet says I can spend two or even three times as much, even if I FIREd today. Will keep people informed of my progress under this thread.

So far, I failed in January. It looks like I have spent only $2,000 so far. As mentioned in other threads, I have no problem giving some cash for projects helping others here and abroad, such as supporting free clinics, sending kids clothes to third world countries, or sending meds. But I just can't seem to be able to spend on myself. I don't really want anything more than what I have now - that's the simple truth.
obgyn,

There's nothing wrong with underachieving on a goal to spend. We are, after all, for the most part a community with a LBYM mindset.

There have been many suggestions here. Some of which might have some appeal to you.

You've even mentioned adopting a child. You may want to weigh this against your desire to travel doing medical mission work. Unless you plan to home school, a child needs to go to school which usually keeps them rooted in one place.

And as far as the underspending issue. I'd suggest setting those monies aside in savings, and sooner or later you'll come up with perfect-for-you ways to spend that fulfill your desire to help others.

omni
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Like your mention of flying business class when you go to Europe. Personally, after flying to Europe in coach when I was "poor" and flying business and first class as an international consultant, there is no flipping way I would ever again fly to Europe in coach.
+1

I convinced DW that this year we should fly Business Class to Europe, but she came back with even better idea - take a slow boat instead a fast airplane, we are retired.

We just booked onto the Queen Elizabeth on the Cunard Line from New York to Southampton for $709 each, plus it is 8 days accomodation with all food and entertainment included. At that price I'm wondering if the porthole pictured in our cabin is really a hole through which the oar goes.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I would be particularly leery if the cabin has two port holes, for his and her oars. As it is, it would be your DW's responsibility to man the single oar as she arranged the deal.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #51
gone traveling

OBGYN, it just dawned on me that last month I decided I had saved enough for retirement, could retire at the time, but also decided there was no reason for me to give up such a large paycheck each month if they were still willing to pay me. So I figured that starting the new year, I'd cease my fanatical savings rate of 80% and start spending some of that monthly income.

Well, I'll be damned. Here it is the 15th of the month and not only did I not do that, I completely forgot about my plan until now. Looking back over the last couple of weeks I've spent a grand total of $143 and saved thousands.

Back to my old habits.

My point is, I don't think there is much we can do about the way we are wired. So don't beat yourself up over it or let my and others attempts at humor bother you, and just keep doing what you've been doing since that is apparently the most natural for you.

I do like the kid idea, though. Can't think of a better way to focus all of those "need to do something for somebody" feelings than on one individual who will benefit their entire life.

Have you ever had children?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

+1

I convinced DW that this year we should fly Business Class to Europe, but she came back with even better idea - take a slow boat instead a fast airplane, we are retired.

We just booked onto the Queen Elizabeth on the Cunard Line from New York to Southampton for $709 each, plus it is 8 days accomodation with all food and entertainment included. At that price I'm wondering if the porthole pictured in our cabin is really a hole through which the oar goes.
I mentioned this to my DW, thinking that this might be something we could eventually try. She nixed the idea because of the potential problem with sea sickness. I'd be curious to hear if the trip is smooth. I'm thinking it can't be that bad, since if it was, nobody would go. Or maybe that's why you got a good price?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I would be particularly leery if the cabin has two port holes, for his and her oars. As it is, it would be your DW's responsibility to man the single oar as she arranged the deal.
Thanks, I'll check that detail in the small print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I mentioned this to my DW, thinking that this might be something we could eventually try. She nixed the idea because of the potential problem with sea sickness. I'd be curious to hear if the trip is smooth. I'm thinking it can't be that bad, since if it was, nobody would go. Or maybe that's why you got a good price?
It's a big cruise liner, but it is the N. Atlantic 1st week in April, so we plan on taking medication. I'll post the results of the trip.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I just recalled the following scene from the movie Ben Hur.

"Battle speed!"

"Attack speed!"

"Ramming speed!"

Old 01-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just recalled the following scene from the movie Ben Hur.

"Battle speed!"

"Attack speed!"

"Ramming speed!"
If obgyn could be assured of a ride like this then I'm sure a lot of his guilty feelings about spending money on himself for travel will evaporate
Old 01-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Well, there is a good chance your trip will be at a leisurely "Cruising speed" for the entire week. There is no piracy in the Atlantic Ocean like in the Arabian Sea.

Bon voyage!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #57

I agree with the others. If you're not comfortable spending the money then don't do it ! Do what you love. An extra mission trip perhaps ? I love the idea of adopting a child - that is a wonderful gift. Spend more time thinking about how you will leave your legacy. Maybe start purchasing vacant lots in the city and turn them into community gardens ? Or purchase land over time in the few remaining wild areas of the US and build a wildlife refuge ?

The goal is meaningless - the trip is priceless.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

If you're having problems spending $50k beyond housing, food and other basic expenses, maybe work less to have less income and more time to spend?

What a problem to have though.

When I FIRE, I could imagine not spending the whole SWR, whatever it turns out to be, in some years.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #59

Great idea - thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski

Or for your next mission visit, you could sponsor a well.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #60

I guess both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade
Too much money beyond living expenses?

Wanting to help others?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Closed Thread