Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your point is well taken. Today I confided in a colleague of mine re: possible adoption. Her answer was something like "you are nuts ! you already touch the lives of thousands of children here and in third world countries ! why the hell do you want one kid here, there is so much more you can do for so many children everywhere! "

Nice encouragement ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550

You've even mentioned adopting a child. You may want to weigh this against your desire to travel doing medical mission work. Unless you plan to home school, a child needs to go to school which usually keeps them rooted in one place.

omni
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #62

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravis
Have you ever had children?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #63

Indeed. Agree 100%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn

The goal is meaningless - the trip is priceless.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #64

$50k all included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade
If you're having problems spending $50k beyond housing, food and other basic expenses, maybe work less to have less income and more time to spend?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
+1

I convinced DW that this year we should fly Business Class to Europe, but she came back with even better idea - take a slow boat instead a fast airplane, we are retired.

We just booked onto the Queen Elizabeth on the Cunard Line from New York to Southampton for $709 each, plus it is 8 days accomodation with all food and entertainment included. At that price I'm wondering if the porthole pictured in our cabin is really a hole through which the oar goes.
Will you take the boat back as well or fly business class?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Will you take the boat back as well or fly business class?
We are sailing back on the Queen Mary in September. The cost there is $1,600 as it is a more luxurious liner plus it is a more popular time for a cruise.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
$50k all included.
Oh then things like business class will eat up chunks of that budget but you can just take one or more overseas trips too.

Or stay at nicer accommodations and spend more on meals.

That indirectly helps people, helping to stimulate local economies.

Or just be more generous to charitable causes.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #68
Gone but not forgotten

Having enough money to explore wider interest at a young age and without major responsibilities is a bit of dreamland.

Going into the dream...
A bucket list:
A one week motorcycle trip
Surfing... anywhere.
A two week (alone) walking tour of Peru
One week bike tour of Cuba (PM me for info)
Climb a Mountain
A week working "Habitat.."
A Classic Car tour
Three days in Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Boston
The Vineyard or Nantucket
White water rafting
Yosemite/Sonora/TwainHarte
Newport- Tall ship cruise
Sail Plane or Balloon Ride
Adirondak Chain of lakes, or Minn Boundry waters canoe trip canoe trip

Except for the Peru tour or the Cuba trip, These were all in my list of "extra" things I've enjoyed over the years. A long time lawyer friend (retired) has been doing solo (no guide) trips throughout South America, Europe, China, Japan, the Azores and many other stops along the way. His past 15 years have been spent, living with natives of these countries ... in their homes, and riding those busses loaded with animals through the moutains of Peru..., and living in poor homes in Scotland,
Russia etc... Instead of gong 1st cclass he pays his way with help and gifts to the communities he visits.
The Cuba thing is fantastic, and I'm very familiar with that. Just sad I can't go...

I just assumed that your thoughts of "spending" on yourself would be the bucket list... before it was too late to enjoy. A wonderful opportunity, that I'd never consider to be selfish. Life is too short.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

As an adoptee I would say make sure you adopt a child because you truly want to love a child (wealth is helpful but not necessary ). It has to be a you need them as much as they need you scenario. That child will never love you because you adopted him, but will love you because you are his daddy.

Did that make sense? I have a terrible time explaining what being an adoptee feels like. You love your parents so deeply, to reduce the relationship to being a benefactor/beneficiary would be painful for the child.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #70

I have failed to meet my goal in January. $2,500 spent only. Will do better next month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65
My goal is to spend $50,000 this year for personal expenses.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #71

Quote:
I have failed to meet my goal in January. $2,500 spent only. Will do better next month.
You still have one more day!!! Don't give up.

Go out to dinner tonight, breakfast, lunch and dinner tomorrow. Take friends. Buy expensive wine to go with the dinners. Eat dessert, too.

You can do it!!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #72

Quote:
Only here do we talk about trying to spend more $$$.

Good luck with February. I bet you can make up for January over the year.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Only here do we talk about trying to spend more $$$.

Good luck with February. I bet you can make up for January over the year.
If the girlfriend is still in the picture, remember Valentine's Day is coming up. And girls just love jewelry.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #74

I have a solution for you. At the end of the year, take the excess money you did not spend and purchase a single premium life insurance policy and create a beneficiary endowment to your favorite cause.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If the girlfriend is still in the picture, remember Valentine's Day is coming up. And girls just love jewelry.
I guess he didn't take my advice of multiple, jewelry-loving girlfriends!

-ERD50
Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #76

Your assumption is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

I guess he didn't take my advice of multiple, jewelry-loving girlfriends!

-ERD50
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #77
gone traveling

Is no one here offering themselves up for adoption to help Obgyn meet his goal?

That said, jesting aside, to have a real adopted child in your life is something to be cherished, but that reward has nothing to do with annual spend!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do you belong to a church? If so, ask the local clergy if there is a family that always tries hard to do the right thing but can never seem to catch a break. I have helped such people in the past and it is always more rewarding to me than mailing a check to a charity. If not a church, I'm sure there are other places to come up with deserving beneficiaries.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #79

I'm hoping he's not posting right now because he's eating a caviar laden omelette.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Take up gambling.

Try out some addictive drugs.

Move to some high cost of living place, like London.
Closed Thread