Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Will Subprime Foreclosures Spread?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the ARM repricing will be a bigger deal than subprime over the next few years. In the bubble markets at least. Folks who bought at or near the high point, who now will get stuck with payments that might double from the initial payments, but whose house has since decreased in value 5-20%.

I'm pretty sure I'll be in the market to refi my ARM in another year or so, depending on the interest rates.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Originally Posted by eridanus

Edit: Ok, I was remembering incorrectly. Half of all California mortgages in 2/2006 were ARMs, not subprime. Big difference. Thanks for the challenge, Alex.
Well, that 50% figure had me scared for a minute there!!!

the interesting thing about the subprime mortgage market is that the great majority of these loans go to minorities. I hope we don't see this taken to the point that we no longer have sub-prime mortgages available. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I agree that ARMs could be a problem at some point, only time will tell. IMHO, mortgages are tools; used properly they can help create wealth, used recklessly you could lose an ARM (pun intended) .......................................... and a leg!.

Due to my personal circumstances, I've had a preference for ARMS over fixed rate mortgages. I've even used a neg-am loan to great benefit! A few years ago I had a NEG-AM mortgage. The payments were set very low and for the first 2 years of the loan, my teaser payment covered all of the interest and a part of the principal! Once the loan started to go into negative territory (about three years into the loan) I refinanced into another loan. Since I don't plan on living in my home for more than 7 years, I refinanced into another ARM with a seven year fixed rate. The payment is locked and the loan has no negative am. I choose to pay interest only and I invest the savings into a balanced investment portfolio. I've been able to increase my liquid accounts considerably over the last 3-4 years thanks to my judicious use of ARM mortgages.

To be clear, I am not saying that this strategy is right for everyone. Most folks would be better off with traditional 15 or 30 year fixed mortgages. It really depends on the circumstances.

Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.--Drew Carey
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #63

Some more optimism found!

LA Times link

Borrowers who have built up their stakes could help keep the U.S. out of recession, despite troubles in sub-prime lending, economists say.

(I don't think so.... )
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #64

equity can vanish in the blink of an eye. a lot of good neighborhoods in california dropped 30% or more in past housing busts
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

There was an article in today's Wall Street Journal entitled, "Lending Oversight: Regulators scrutinized in Mortgage Meltdown." It seems that most of the subprime loans are out of the jurisdiction of federal regulators. Here's the breakdown:

52% originated by companies with no federal supervision

25% originated by finance companies that were units of bank holding companies,with only indirect supervision by the Federal Reserve.

23% regulated by banks and thrifts.

Thus, only 23% of the subprime loans written had direct supervision by the Federal Reserve. This may account for the fact that so many of them have been written in the past few years. In fact, even when the fed investigated complaints about these loans they, "shielded federally regulated banks from states and private litigants." It went on to say that the underlying belief is that too much regulation would stifle credit for low-income families. This philosophy is shared by the Bush administration.

Currently about 7 1/2 % of these loans are either 90 days late or are in forclosure. This is a pretty big number when you consider that 20% of the mortgage loans written in in 2006 were subprime loans.

Last fall federal bank regulators changed standards for these loans by requiring that the applicants qualify for the "highest interest rate" and not the "teaser rate." Under pressure from congress this month, underwriting standards for these loans are under "new guidance." Ironically, the subprime borrowers now behind in their payments are more apt to go into foreclosure because of their inability to refinance because of the effects of this new lending "guidance."

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado
Somebody appointed me to revive old threads last week. I take my job seriously. So with the powers vested in me. . I LazyErik am trying to bring this to the forefront for discussion purposes.

After a quick read it is obvious that this forum is a well balance thoughtful group of cynics, which might explain why we are trying to FIRE. I want to highlight a quote brought up by Retire Soon in the first post. . ."Is this only the tip of the iceberg and could this problem eventually worsen the downturn in the housing market and cause a recession?" And another discussion by justin about how homeowners in CA were going to have a real tough time getting their homes refinanced after their ARM expires and their home is worth 20% less. Jees some of these comments bordered on prescient.

So the question I have for those that adjusted their portfolio or lifestyle prior to or during the recession is what did you do and what would you do differently?

I myself got really scared in 2008 and started all dividends into cash to build up a cash hoard. It helped me sleep better at night, but I did lose out on that cash which could have been in a nice DRIP plan.

Also how do you think the current bond bubble will play out? Any thoughts on super high treasury rates (like the Carter/Reagan era) within the next five or six years? Or anyone concerned about the student loan debt bubble that keeps young families from buying homes, nicer cars, and supporting the tax rolls by buying the trappings of American existence.

These are just some of the things I am concerned about. I wish I had ESP like some of you.

LazyErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #67
In terms of housing, we are looking at that as more a consumption item and hope to cash out the current house before the prices drop again too much. They are kind of leveling off by us now.

I do wonder about the student loan debt, the shadow inventory that still exists of housing and so many people retiring before too long with limited savings. I don't think that bodes well long term for the U.S. housing market. It probably does bode well for manufactured homes, condos, tiny houses and low to moderate priced rental properties since retirees still have to live somewhere.

However all that could be changed by factors like raising immigration rates (soaking up more housing), forgiving more student loan debts, allowing student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy or taxing imports raising salaries in the U.S. so I think at this time the future is unknowable. No one thirty years ago could have predicted today's economy.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #68
LazyEric, how old are you? If you have a long time, make a long time plan and time should be your friend, economically. I am retired and I am more concerned. I have reduced bond holdings, from 40/60 to 60/40 stock/bonds. But that is about it. I do not expect the high inflation of the early 80s but even a 5-7% rate would be a major problem to retired folks with a lot of fixed income. If inflation grows slowly those holding bond funds will be OK over time, but if it jumps up bonds will be terrible, 'reward free risk'. So the quality of bonds is important maybe safer things like ibonds?
T.S. Eliot:
Old men ought to be explorers
yakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #69
Dryer sheet aficionado
I'm in my very late 30s. My parents and grandparents tell me stories about the early 80s like it was some horrible period of economic history. Higher inflation while still working does not scare me; however if I was retired, it would keep me awake at night.
I also worry about GDP being impacted by things like the student loan bubble.
LazyErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lock in low mortgage rates, if you want to be a homeowner. Carry no other debt. LBYM. Save/invest all you can in a balanced portfolio. Keep bond duration short. Keep skills and education current.

Lots of boogie men out there, and what will really happen is anyone's guess, so control what you can.

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote