Join Early Retirement Today

Will the FED cut rates now?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Will the FED cut rates now?

Would anyone be surprised to see the FED hold an emergency meeting and cut rates by .25 to .50 basis points in the wake of the failure of the bailout bill?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I doubt it would do any good.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #3

I don't think a Fed rate cut would do anything to eliminate the constipation in the credit market. It's no longer about whether borrowed money is cheap but whether lent money will be repaid at all.

Plus, recklessly low rates under the Greenspan Fed was one of the primary culprits that led to the current mess.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't think a Fed rate cut would do anything to eliminate the constipation in the credit market. It's no longer about whether borrowed money is cheap but whether lent money will be repaid at all.

Plus, recklessly low rates under the Greenspan Fed was one of the primary culprits that led to the current mess.
Much as I am NOT a Greenspan fan, I think in many respects he was TOO SLOW to react to economic issues and either cut too much or not soon enough.

Of course, "Bailout Ben" is worse, he listens too much to the folks on Wall Street..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It's all Greenspan's fault. Really.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Much as I am NOT a Greenspan fan, I think in many respects he was TOO SLOW to react to economic issues and either cut too much or not soon enough.
I think that's part of it. He waited until too late in the business cycle to change monetary policy, which help induce more violent boom and bust cycles -- and led to going overboard with rate actions in response to exaggerated economic peaks and valleys.

Without Easy Al's excessive easing, many of those ARMs starting at 3% can't happen. And without those mortgages, fewer people could "afford" to buy a home (more correctly stated, could temporarily afford the payments on it) and maybe the bubble doesn't rage out of control. I have little doubt that if the only loans available were conventional fixed rate mortgages at (say) 6%, the bubble doesn't form. And without a bubble, we likely don't have this bust.

Essentially, it was the enablement of greed.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Administrator

Has Greenspan made any public comments on the bail-out plan? That would be an interesting perspective to contemplate.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Has Greenspan made any public comments on the bail-out plan? That would be an interesting perspective to contemplate.
I think he is in the same bomb shelter as Dick Cheney........

Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #9

Looks like he may be hiding in India: Greenspan, Shultz argue for quick bailout action | Business News | Reuters

Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #10

Cutting rates wouldn't help. The systemic problem is in the credit business.

For example, what's the deal with "no-income verification" (NIV) loans? I know people with good sources of income and collateral that couldn't get a loan because of a technicality while people with with no sure source of income qualified for NIV loans.

The banks allowed people to refinance properties they could not afford in the first place.

And, I also place the blame on the guy who bought a house without knowing its real value and knowing if he missed a paycheck it could be doomsday for him.

Everyone kinda knew there was no logic in the mortgage and credit business, but they kept playing the game as if nothing would ever happen.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
For example, what's the deal with "no-income verification" (NIV) loans? I know people with good sources of income and collateral that couldn't get a loan because of a technicality while people with with no sure source of income qualified for NIV loans.
The two KINGS of NIV loans were Countrywide and AmeriQuest........

Quote:
And, I also place the blame on the guy who bought a house without knowing its real value and knowing if he missed a paycheck it could be doomsday for him.
Well, Congress is placing NO BLAME on those folks.........

Quote:
Everyone kinda knew there was no logic in the mortgage and credit business, but they kept playing the game as if nothing would ever happen.
It was the mortgage brokers moreso than the bank loan officers that did it. The bank officer was limited in their underwriting sources, while the broker could go to whomever would write it with the LEAST amount of documentation........

Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
...Well, Congress is placing NO BLAME on those folks...
That because it's not politically correct to blame stupid.

These people went sailing in a ship knowing it had holes in it's hull while smart people stayed home.

Now the smart people have to jump in the ocean to save them whether we want to or not.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
That because it's not politically correct to blame stupid.

These people went sailing in a ship knowing it had holes in it's hull while smart people stayed home.

Now the smart people have to jump in the ocean to save them whether we want to or not.
That's the utterly infuriating thing about this. Some people go on a spending binge much like a drinking binge, but EVERYONE suffers the financial hangover -- not just the bingers whose behavior led to it.

Makes you wonder why we bother to be responsible sometimes. It doesn't seem to bring any rewards...

Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I think a big part of this whole mess is that people thought home prices were just gonna keep on going up and up and up!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
I think a big part of this whole mess is that people thought home prices were just gonna keep on going up and up and up!!!
And why was this irrational exuberance in place? I'd say it was the increasingly easy money that led to lower ARM rates which led to lower monthly payments which led to higher "affordable" purchase prices which led to higher prices. Rinse, lather and repeat until the easy money dried up...

Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #16

Welcome to the "gotta have it now" American Society. Save for a down-payment on a house - NO WAY. I want it now! Save for a decent car - NO WAY. I have to get a new car when I graduate HS. $25,000 Honeymoons - on the VISA Card, Yes, of course, that is what they are for. Kitchen forget it - We eat out 7 times a week (on the CC of course). What do you mean, I can't have or can't use my HELOC now; WTH "they" reduced my CC limit - this is un-American. Vote that bailout plan I am in debt "up to my eyeballs" I need a fresh start.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thanks, REW! It sounds like he is 150% on board with the bailout plan. Interesting that George Shulz is quoted as being on board as well.

I know that Greenspan wasn't the god-like figure that many regarded him as being, but it is certainly sobering to see that so many financial experts are agreed and back this bailout.

As for me, I am no economics expert. One of my ER goals and interests will be to learn more about economics and finance, but as for now, I am just a scientist and far too ignorant about these topics. To be honest, I don't know what to think about the bailout (except that I don't want to pay for someone else's McMansion for them while they thumb their noses at me). But the fact that all of these guys agree makes me think that they are probably right.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
One of my ER goals and interests will be to learn more about economics and finance, but as for now, I am just a scientist.
With a desire to become a 'dismal scientist'? Surely you can aspire to something more worthwhile...

Old 09-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Welcome to the "gotta have it now" American Society. Save for a down-payment on a house - NO WAY. I want it now! Save for a decent car - NO WAY. I have to get a new car when I graduate HS. $25,000 Honeymoons - on the VISA Card, Yes, of course, that is what they are for. Kitchen forget it - We eat out 7 times a week (on the CC of course). What do you mean, I can't have or can't use my HELOC now; WTH "they" reduced my CC limit - this is un-American. Vote that bailout plan I am in debt "up to my eyeballs" I need a fresh start.
I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I'm not convinced it's a coincidence that this started happening again after the Depression generation began dying out, and there were few cautionary voices left to remind us to heed their experience and avoid repeating those mistakes...

Old 09-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
With a desire to become a 'dismal scientist'? Surely you can aspire to something more worthwhile...
I am getting there, I must admit. Last year I was thinking it would be neat to pursue a graduate degree in finance, after ER. But earlier this year I started thinking maybe just a course or two would be more than enough. Actually, my aspirations are turning more and more towards sleeping in and then lazily puttering about the house all day, rather than getting up early to go to work on another graduate degree.

- - H. Melville, 1851