Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Will the Fed reduce rate?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Will the Fed reduce rate?

Anyone here think that the Fed may reduce rate to reenergize the housing market or the economy?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Will the Fed reduce rate?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

only if inflation goes into their comfort zone which is a lot lower than what it is today

there is no reason to reenergize the housing market, except maybe to prevent a crash if one happens next year
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't hold your breath. The Fed is almost certainly happy to see the housing bubble popping, and they still have a LOT of inflationary pressure to deal with. China didn't exactly stop voraciously consuming, well, everything.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
The Fed is almost certainly happy to see the housing bubble popping
Why do you think that Brewer?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1
Why do you think that Brewer?
The housing bubble has pumped up consumer spending a lot and greatly increased demand for a lot of commodities. That translates to a lot of inflationary pressure. It has also lead to a huge expansion of mortgage lending of every description. The bigger a bubble gets, the more disastrous it is when it pops (ask the Japanese). Since the Fed has watch over the banking system and, indirectly, the capital markets, a catastrophic bubble popping would cause serious damage to the banks and markets. Bettter to pop the bubble sooner, take the more modest pain and get on with life.

- George Orwell

Old 08-31-2006, 10:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
The housing bubble has pumped up consumer spending a lot and greatly increased demand for a lot of commodities.* That translates to a lot of inflationary pressure.* It has also lead to a huge expansion of mortgage lending of every description.* The bigger a bubble gets, the more disastrous it is when it pops (ask the Japanese).* Since the Fed has watch over the banking system and, indirectly, the capital markets, a catastrophic bubble popping would cause serious damage to the banks and markets.* Bettter to pop the bubble sooner, take the more modest pain and get on with life.
Can you explain it again?* Preferably in English*
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Can you explain it again?* Preferably in English*
Um, OK. The Fed is probably happy to see housing slide because it helps reduce inflation and lessens the chance that we have a rerun of the S&L bailout.

- George Orwell

Old 08-31-2006, 10:55 AM   #8

If you want to know what the fed will do, ask Mr Market:

Fed Fund rate predictions

Mr Market sez the fed will continue to pause as it watches the effect of previous hikes work their way through the economy.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

wab, I don't think I've said before how much I like your posts.

You have a great way of getting straight to the point, and often to a good (perhaps the best) source/opinion/authority/resource for the question at hand.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday
You have a great way of getting straight to the point, and often to a good (perhaps the best) source/opinion/authority/resource for the question at hand.
Oh, thanks!* I like your posts, too!

If something can't be boiled down to a one-liner, I prefer to take a nap rather than try to understand it.*
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

its never happened in our economic history that the fed cut rates with unemployment at record lows,,,oil at record highs,,,,commodity prices high and the markets almost at new highs.........why do we think this time they will?
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

They won't. Along with what brewer has said, the housing bubble and all the re-financing resulting from that has fueled consumer demand, inflation and increased debt levels to enormous levels. I see no rate reduction on the horizon.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:11 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

brewer12345 i right on the mark. The fed may pause this time but will probably will raise during the next meeting after.* The economy is still humming along...gotta slow it down is their take.* IMHO

Dave
Old 09-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll toss in 2 cents worth.

The Fed in loud and overt discussion addresses inflation and economic growth. Greenspan, in earlier years, would occasionally mention another elephant in the living room, but that went out of vogue and is now something only addressed quietly.

The elephant is the national debt and its interest. The discussion of it evolved into phrases like "debt service is a not inconsiderable factor in the demand for liquidity from the debt market and has an impact on prevailing rates". Which was Greenspan-speak for . . . if we let rates go too high, the rolling over of US govt debt instruments takes place at higher cost and raises the deficit, which demands even more liquidity from the debt markets.

In this context, it is not at all lost on the Fed that there is some merit in having a floor, not a ceiling, on inflation. Inflation cheapens the value of the large liability on the books called The National Debt. If the debt's interest were merely serviced each year, inflation would "pay it down".

So, it's useful to keep in mind that the Fed certainly has a desired floor on the GDP number, but subtly, they have one on the CPI, too.
modlair is offline   Reply With Quote