Join Early Retirement Today

Will the housing slump affect Lake Front Property??
Old 01-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Will the housing slump affect Lake Front Property??

Listening to all of the bad news about housing these days, do you all think that Lake Front Property will lose value in the near future?
Do you think this slump will place a lot of lake properties on the market this year resulting in lower prices? If so, might be a good time to be looking.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
Listening to all of the bad news about housing these days, do you all think that Lake Front Property will lose value in the near future?
Do you think this slump will place a lot of lake properties on the market this year resulting in lower prices? If so, might be a good time to be looking.
Since I have some for sale, I hope not.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We own property in a California mountain vacation area. Ive noticed on Zillow it has taken a hit in assessed value. Its not exactly lake front but close enough. I think its lost about 15 percent or so in the last year. But it did have a mega run up.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #4

In the near future, yes: lakeside is not invulnerable to the broader real estate market.

However, in the long term it is virtually impossible to lose on waterfront property.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 AM   #5

Generally agree with Milton, short of some drastic environmental or political change. You certainly don't need to be in a rush to purchase.

Maybe even more important than timing the market: if real estate is local, then waterfront is microscopic. One lot to the next can be night and day, let alone one lake to the next. Lakes can change over time as well. Just talk to Lake Lanier homeowners about the recent drought. I'd get to know the area and lake dynamics-history very well to make sure you are getting what you'll be happy with. Oh yeah, spend some real time on the water itself. We're on the Albemarle Sound so different type of water but still related. Older brother is on Candlewood in CT.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Home prices have pulled back slightly in my area(MS) but waterfront property has remained stable. But I think it is more a supply and demand issue here. Just not a lot of it available.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

I live on the bay in Sarasota ,fl. and I can see that the home prices have come down a lot from the crazy highs .There were also several houses bought with the idea of flipping that in my mind are real bargains .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #8

I own lakefront, and it overshot the rest of the market on the way up, and has been coming down with the market on the way down. But there's only so much of it, so I don't see how it can ever get below non-lakefront. I'm not in the market to buy or sell, so don't care, I love to be able to go out my back yard and get into my sailboat or kayak -- as they say, priceless.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

It's a limited resource, and even around Wisconsin, where there's land aplenty of lakes, the values keep going up, the prices just aren't as "stupid" as they were 3-4 years ago.........

I have a client that owns a smaller home (1400 sq ft) on a limited access lake. Tempting, but the house is 40 years old, and needs about $50,000 worth of work, so I'll probably pass...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #10

I see two major purchasers for lake front property. Retirees and second homes. I believe the second home buyer will pull back. Retirees, on the other hand, should increase. Baby boomers hit 62. You see this headline in all the news. Do you think those boomers will be looking for 75 feet of down town asphalt? I expect enough of the boomers will want lake front properties to keep the prices from falling long term.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I see two major purchasers for lake front property. Retirees and second homes. I believe the second home buyer will pull back. Retirees, on the other hand, should increase. Baby boomers hit 62. You see this headline in all the news. Do you think those boomers will be looking for 75 feet of down town asphalt? I expect enough of the boomers will want lake front properties to keep the prices from falling long term.
I used to think that boomer retirees would be moving to Florida, and would probably want to downsize. But real estate hasn't been doing very well in Florida, and it seems like everyone wants a McMansion (except for me).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #12

As baby boomers are just now turning 62, so it may take some time before they move to Florida, but, I think they will. Now will they want a McMansion? That is another question. Our home on the lake is bigger than the one we had in the city.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #13

Well I know in the area we own. The last data I seen said 75% of the owners were absentee owners. There is only so much area to grow since the environmental league has a iron fist on any growth in the area. Good for me. Bad for the people who want to buy a house
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
But there's only so much of it, so I don't see how it can ever get below non-lakefront. I'm not in the market to buy or sell, so don't care, I love to be able to go out my back yard and get into my sailboat or kayak -- as they say, priceless.
Now that's what I'm talkin about......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I tend to agree. This is a different market from the regular homes that people need to live in while doing the 9 to 5 thing (w*rk).
Just might be that now is the time when there might not be a lot of buyers and there might be small price breaks or deals that would otherwise not be seen in a faster market.
Last year I was watching a particular lake and the homes stayed for sale longer and some were reduced several times before sale. I think there were some "slight deals to be had" last year. Probably this year too.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I live on a creek part of the year. The creek, not me.
I wonder if that counts?
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Which lake? There are some in Tennessee [God bless my spell-checker!] that disappear once in a while. Try getting down to your boat on a ladder.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:37 AM   #17

I put a unit on the market in Nov with lake view. It's down 15-20% from the peak ... like the rest of the market. The mother's day flooding 3 years ago did nothing to help market prices ... water front were underwater. Can't give them away.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 AM   #18

I don't see any indications of prices dropping on the lake I'm on (central Alabama). I also just paid my property taxes and the assessment was up significantly. As mentioned previously, most owners are not full-time residents but more retirees seem to be moving to the lake. Most of my neighbors are "weekenders", mainly just in the summer months, and I enjoy it that way!
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #19
gone traveling

We have a lake about 75 yards from our backyard with a winter view, creek right behind the house beavers were removed so now it flows, but without much rain these days kinda slow. Anyway prices in this part of wake county north carolina near raleigh which is still a growing area are down a good 5 to 10 %. Tax man says my place is worth near 350K We have homes listed at 310K and just sitting now for 6 months with little traffic. Homes were bought in the 340 range in early 06.

Prices are down and it looks as though people are still waiting to see even a larger discount on price.

We have no mortgage and we like it here so we do not really care at this point, however the fact remains many who bought even here who need to sell are upside down already with their mortgages. Sorry but I believe this is the tip of the iceberg. 20% drops in prices maybe needed to get the housing market into the range of what people can afford.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Which lake? There are some in Tennessee [God bless my spell-checker!] that disappear once in a while. Try getting down to your boat on a ladder.
The Lake I am watching is not in Tennessee or Alabama, thus is not involved with the drought in that area. I understand what you are talking about though.

Hey, a new milestone......post # 100!