Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think there is panic and it will continue.
I wish I was still in the accumulation phase - but wait, that would mean I was w*rking - I take it back.
Am I the only one who really misses Louis Rukeyser? His tv show was strangely comforting to me, and he never appeared ruffled.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I liked Louis a lot, I am sure he is responsible for much of my interest and education in financal matters.

Such a huge drop from Louis and the Elves to Cramer and CNBC
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
I wish I was still in the accumulation phase - but wait, that would mean I was w*rking - I take it back.
Funny. I had exactly those same thoughts.

A huge after Christmas sale and I have to sit on my hands...
Old 01-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Since overseas markets were down a lot today, it would make perfect sense that the Dow will be hurting on Tuesday.

This probably means the Dow will close up by the end of the day because we know markets are rarely rational.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I will be locking my gaze on CNBC tomorrow morning to witness the debacle.
And believe EVERYTHING they tell you. Life as we know it is over. Learn how to cook insects and rodents if you want to eat.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Eh, I've seen holiday dumps in the overseas market that dont materialize here on the next trading day. A little time to think things over might turn into a lesser hit tomorrow.

On the other hand, anyone else wanna sass me about that prediction of getting closer to S&P 500 @ 1000 this year than to 2000?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Am I the only one who really misses Louis Rukeyser? His tv show was strangely comforting to me, and he never appeared ruffled.
He was THE Man..
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

This may help you reminisce about Wall Street Week: All The Wrong Stuff: Investment Strategies for the 21st Century, by Frank Armstrong
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #49

Quote:
Oh Louis how we miss you. Friday nights just aren't the same .
Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #50

I predict the US market will go down and then back up. My guess is S&P500 at 1280 is the bottom.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #51

Dang yall, I took the day off work/computer to hang with the wife and kids, and had no idea that THE SKY WAS FALLING!

Good thing I'm wearing my peril-resistant afro...............
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Dang yall, I took the day off work/computer to hang with the wife and kids, and had no idea that THE SKY WAS FALLING!

Good thing I'm wearing my peril-resistant afro...............

Yeah, you missed a great opportunity to be miserable! Just don't let it happen again.....
Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #53
gone traveling

Dow futures down over 500 !

I'm glad I'm not in the stock market !
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
I'm glad I'm not in the stock market !
Frankly it is the bond market that worries me. Stocks may go up and down but right now the risk of 0 is greater in the bond market IMHO.

Bonds, banks, insurers (who invest in bonds) are at greatest risk.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 AM   #55
gone traveling

The only bonds I have are US government bonds.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:30 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

just rember if you were in the markets for many years you would be no where near even the level we fall to on a bad day if you werent in the game. two buddies of mine are retireing from the same place after the same amount of time. they both worked for the nyc board of ed . they could elect where they wanted their pension money invested aaron not having any interest in the markets nor wanting to take any risk basically let it lay in bonds and a money market. he figured what the heck, we all earn around the same thing , we all will put in as many years , we will all end up about the same.

joe chose all stock funds for over 30 years.

needless to say aaron got 189,000 and joe walked away with 1.4 million.

aaron is still working.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:14 AM   #57
gone traveling

Dow futures down over 600, The asian markets are down close to 10% in the last two days that could be a 1200 pt drop today here with the dow. Who knows. The american consumer is tapped out, why would the stock market do well??

If 70% of the economy is spending by regular joes who have no home equity anymore no more money and afraid they may lose their jobs, Dow 8000 or less could happen.

This is what happens when we don't build anything anymore. Its gonna come home to roost.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Dow futures down over 600, The asian markets are down close to 10% in the last two days that could be a 1200 pt drop today here with the dow. Who knows. The american consumer is tapped out, why would the stock market do well??

If 70% of the economy is spending by regular joes who have no home equity anymore no more money and afraid they may lose their jobs, Dow 8000 or less could happen.

This is what happens when we don't build anything anymore. Its gonna come home to roost.
OK, I've got my popcorn and I'm ready for the show! Should be quite amazing. If not, I'll ask for my money back.

Seriously, what else can one do? There's no way I'm going to try to buy or sell anything until things settle down a little, and probably not even then since I try not to be a dirty market timer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:24 AM   #59

Strange but I feel no panic at all and like Want2retire I'm ready to watch the show.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post

Agree the US does not build anything anymore but get the popcorn ready it is going to be interesting morning and day.

Could any of this be attributed to GREED?

Let's hope that the U.S government does not have to bait out the people who made bad investments.

GOD BLESS
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote