Join Early Retirement Today

Win the Powerball, what would you change?
Old 01-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Win the Powerball, what would you change?

I only buy tickets when the prize gets oversized but then the mental exercise is interesting. What would you change in your life?

I always come to the conclusion that I'd give almost all of it away (yep, test me) because we don't need much more and for everything you gain, you lose more. Familiar neighborhood, good relationships, easy security, few worries - all gone. Thoughts?
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Regardless of what you do with the money, you need a great story for the reporters. Giving it away is a great thing, but makes for a boring story.

One time I had someone asked me for some phone solicitation for some type of scam or contest. I told them I would rent a bus, gather up a bunch of friends, and tour every strip joint in North America.

The line went silent for a few seconds and then he said "That would be an interesting way to spend the money". I should have asked him if he was interested in being invited...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

I'll admit I'd spend some on myself/family. I'd definitely step up giving to charity, but I'd also step up my lifestyle a bit.

- upgrade the current cars. The "newer" one is 10.5 years old. That tesla I fantasize about would be in my garage.
- push all of the planned remodeling/house projects into the near term vs spreading them over several years as we currently plan/budget.
- vacations would definitely include first class vs coach. But I don't see myself going to private jet - too wasteful.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WE would take more vacations and go out more to eat, etc. Some to family and some to charity. Would not change house or cars. Happy with all of that.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #5

We had lottery madness hit work. Different departments going in on group tickets. I joined one group. You'd hate yourself if the group won and you hadn't joined in and it was only 5 bucks. Almost every person said they wouldn't show up for work on Monday. Most people said they'd buy a new vehicle for themselves and family members, there were new houses, new clothes, vacation. Someone told me they would give their kids $75,000. to spend. These are teenagers. I asked why and he said just to give them spending money. No one talked about investing it. I bought 2 tickets for myself on the way home. I only buy when the lottery gets big. I'd talk to an attorney, buy a new truck and think about the rest. I can't wrap my head around that much money. Would be fun.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We amuse ourselves by imagining novel ways of giving friends/relatives money, (on the presumption that they were unaware of our imaginary win).

Don't think we'd change, we'd just do more of the same.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #7

I would give it all away because I don't think I could even spend the interest. Sure I would buy a new car and take some car trips but that's only .001 percent of the money. I am guessing I am like a lot of you I have 95% of what I want.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #8

I would take it all to Vegas and put it all into 14 red. Then you are talking real money!
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'd probably spend couple million on that winter home we are considering, new vehicles, etc, give $1 million to charity then invest the rest and do a lot more giving to charity.

Honestly, I have trouble thinking that big.

Actually, now that I think of it... that college hockey game that I am streaming I would probably be seeing live after having landed at a nearby airport in my private jet charter.

I'd probably also make the neighbor from hell a nice offer for her place the an additional provision that I see her again.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #10

There was a guy in Minnesota that won 5 million in the lotto. The reporter asked him what he wanted to buy he said a new car and a snow blower. I laughed when I read that he was the same type of guy that I am.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #11

$800M, net of $500M after tax .. I would give at least 50%-60% of the money to charity or do something like build housing for homeless people. It's a big amount of money. The rest - gifts to family and projects to employ people.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #12

Among other things I would set aside a sum to provide a gifts to a dozen poor souls on the ER forum stuck in OMY syndrome. The amounts would be what they still needed to save so that they could quit the day the funds hit their account.

-BB
Old 01-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #13

Buy that 2 bedroom bath and a half condo in San Francisco.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
$800M, net of $500M after tax .. I would give at least 50%-60% of the money to charity or do something like build housing for homeless people. It's a big amount of money. The rest - gifts to family and projects to employ people.
Actually the lump sum is $496 - so around $250k after tax (I live in a high tax state.)

It'll still be enough for me.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

First class travel, staying in the nicest, most convenient places, i.e., slopeside ski accommodations, closest hotel to start/finish of marathons, oceanside, etc. Help the family, charities. Shop more locally (probably--I really prefer the convenience of shopping online but there are at least some local businesses I'd support). Maybe upgrade the cars and/or get a nice class B motorhome but nothing too flashy.

Fun to think about, but really, there's not enough I'd want to get/do to make the hassle and notoriety of all that money worthwhile. Giving to charities and helping family is great, but I think I'd be hounded by scam charities or causes I don't care to support, and extended family coming out of the woodwork. Maybe I'd set up a foundation and family who wanted to could work for it, making some easy money while handling the hassles for me.

With this in mind, I'm not likely to buy lottery tickets. With my luck, I'd win and ruin my life.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I would give money to forum posters, to a tune of $100 for each post that they have made. There are posters here with more than 10,000 posts, and that's a cool $1M+ for each of them.

However, I would notify the forum admin first before my announcement, so they would freeze the post counts. Else, the forum Web site would crash.

But before y'all get excited, I do not plan to buy any ticket.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
There was a guy in Minnesota that won 5 million in the lotto. The reporter asked him what he wanted to buy he said a new car and a snow blower. I laughed when I read that he was the same type of guy that I am.
Quite a few years ago an old Nebraska couple won a pretty big lottery. I'm thinking it was high 8 figures. Someone asked what they'd do with the money. "Well, the barn needs a new roof..."
Old 01-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Then there's the story of the guy who walks in the door of his house and yells to his wife, "Pack your bags, I just won the lottery!"

She replies, "Great, where are we going?"

"I don't care where you go, just pack your bags and get out!"
Old 01-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #19

Winning one of these huge lotto jackpots has long been a favorite fantasy of mine. It hasn't happened yet so it will still likely remain a fantasy.

I will buy some tickets for sure.

If/when I win (thinking positive here) much of it would be given to charity. I would share with friends and family with perhaps some education funds for the kids. For me it would be a place at the coast that is close enough to drive to for a few days or weekend. Some would likely be invested. I can imagine Vanguard and Fidelity treating me very well.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're still renting because a modest 2B/2B 1200 sq ft single family in our area costs around $650K so buying a house is definitely first on the list. Probably around $800K max (3B/2B 1500-1800 sq ft) so property taxes won't be too crazy.

Iirc, annuity is backloaded so I'd likely prefer lump sum over annuity. If the after tax lump sum after any splits is at least $10M, then that paves the way for ER at 31. Gonna have to set up a trust and maybe have Vanguard as successor trustee or corporate co-trustee. If lump sum's considerably larger than $10M, will put the remainder in separate trusts for special needs relatives, charitable giving and college funds for nieces and nephews. Maybe also help pay off cousins' student loans.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote