Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
This guys life was already a nightmare! All the lottery did was throw a high-beam spotlight on it.

Oh yeah - and of course there were all those people asking him for money! I guess he didn't have THAT problem before.

audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
His business was already worth 17 MILLION and an additional aprox. 100mil made such a great difference?

The statistical odds against both occurrences are enormous!

It's easy to see a normal person thrust into difficulty by a big lottery win, but he was rich, by any standard, already. Obviously the fame made him a target of strangers, but his family life should have already been geared to wealth.

Fishy. Has a bull left a deposit behind?
I agree. It does sound fishy. After you won 100M, you can say anything you want. Who's really going to question you?

dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
On a television show which featured the woes that have befallen a number of mega lottery winners I did hear one interesting quote - that is winning does not change a person's character, rather it emphasises what already exists.

For every negative story such as this I am sure there are a dozen more success stories.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #24
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
For every negative story such as this I am sure there are a dozen more success stories.
IIRC correctly, the Discovery channel did a show on this. They all seemed happy and more secure now that they had their winnings. It must not have done too well since I never saw another, not enough Schadenfreude, I guess.
Angels danced on the day that you were born.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I did a google search on lottery mega-millionaires, there are a number that have gone really bad, though probably they are the exception that are newsworthy. Like others have said, this can just magnify their problems that already existed.

There's a famous Silicon Valley IPO story, about the president of Eagle Computers. The day his company went public, he arranged for a Ferrari to be delivered. I'm not sure if the stories that he'd celebrated a bit too enthusiatically are true, but at some point in the evening he crashed his new car and died.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:53 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...
I vaguely remember a local Louisiana tv blurb about restoring a patch of wetlands/doing an animal sanctuary/etc.

It was casually mentioned in passing that the woman could afford all this beside she won 'a mere' 20 mil in the lottery (a while back) and was doing a good job investing the money.

Note - that it was a wildlife channel and no details on investing or other lifestyle choices.

I wonder how many 'ho-hum' non newsworthy winners are out there?

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:18 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
The guy about 5 miles up the street from me won the lottery ( a couple million about 15 years ago). To celebrate he threw a big party and hired his friend to do a stunt show with his plane over the property during the party...the plane ended up nose-diving into the ground and burned the pilot beyond recognition - all in front of the crowd, including the wife and children of the pilot....

That sort of tainted the whole "I won the lottery euphoria..."
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
Yes, it sounds fishy. Truth be know the guy is just greedy and wants to discourage everyone from buying lottery tickets to better his odds of winning again. You bet. Thatís the reason.

runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...
If I won the lottery I would set up a Swiss bank account and have the money wired there, and hire some stiff to appear for the cameras..........
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.
Friends of the family won $4 million about 10 years ago.

Usually you hear of people winning that don't really "deserve" it (i.e. 18 years old, etc. and you just know that in a few years there won't be a penny left) but this couple really did. The husband was on long-term disability with a bad back and the wife worked nights cleaning banks. The only big purchases they made were a $500K house and a new car (nothing fancy).

I can only be nice to one person today! Today is not your day...tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Calgary_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote