Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Wins $41 million and plans to keep working
Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
I have told the story to many who have asked if you liked your job why did you retired early.
I didn't retire when I liked my job.

I retired when I stopped liking it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras
I think the people who blow the money mainly were not ready.
When they win more money than they ever would have seen, it seems like an infinate amount. With no planning and little concept of what they really have, it disappears when it seems like it never would.

It would probably do future lotto winners a lot of good to come visit these forums before they win. Or, don't allow themselves to touch any of the money until they read a few finance books and make a plan.

Those that do, are probably the ones that hold onto their riches.
After all, this particular person was spending a couple thousand a year on lottery tickets. He didn't know what to do with money before he had it.

-CC

Old 01-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH has a classmate who won a big time lotto payout. They have a disabled child so they set up a charitable trust for that disability. Used a little (hosted a couple class reunions), invested some, and donated the rest. He has a restaurant franchise that keeps him busy and pays the daily bills. The salt of the earth family.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Something's wrong with the story.

It's hard to believe the guy spending $40/wk on lottery tickets is the same guy who started working at age 12.

Also hard to believe the guy spending $40/wk on lottery tickets is the same guy to continue working after winning $41Million.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

He owned "Chucky Cheese" in Portland, OR. As the members of his class are now well over 65 he may have retired by now.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
It's hard to believe the guy spending $40/wk on lottery tickets is the same guy who started working at age 12.
Also hard to believe the guy spending $40/wk on lottery tickets is the same guy to continue working after winning $41Million.
"Diversified investing among different asset classes" and "multiple streams of income"!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always told the guys at w*rk that if I ever won the lottery, I would keep working.....just to p*ss them off!!!

I would not w*rk indefinitely, but I would continue long enough.....maybe 6 or 8 months or a year....to really gripe their *sses!!! Of course NOW that I only have a short time til FIRE....I wouldn't stay even ONE day longer than my planned departure!!! NO Way...NO How!!! However, I also wouldn't leave earlier than planned either!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert the Red
People like to think this, since (a) there are a lot of articles in the press about such riches-to-rags stories, and (b) it makes us feel superior in our non-lottery-winning-but-smart status. However, it is not true that a majority of big lottery winners do stupid things and ruin their (financial) lives. A significant number are that stupid -- maybe a third -- but a majority are not. See, for example:
http://www.answers.google.com/answer...view&id=141224
oh=k. The lotto is nothing but a tax on the stupid. So a few dummies who manage to win don't go broke, BFD. The lotto is for fools.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #29

My friend always said to me that the lottery is a tax for people who are bad at math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
oh=k. The lotto is nothing but a tax on the stupid. So a few dummies who manage to win don't go broke, BFD. The lotto is for fools.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

28 Apr 1997 Lottery millionaire Michael Allen is bludgeoned to death in a Lewiston, Maine motel room.
22 May 1999 Billie Bob Harrell, Jr. commits suicide. In June 1997, Harrell won $31 million in the Texas state lottery.
4 Sep 2001 Patrick Collier randomly wins $1 million at a McDonald's in Holly Hill, Florida. "I'm getting a Harley and a couple of houses." Two weeks later, Collier is arrested for allegedly choking and punching his fiancee in the face.
19 Dec 2001 British lottery millionaire Phil Kitchen is found dead on his couch. Kitchen had apparently drunk himself to death (whiskey).
11 Jul 2002 British lottery winner Dennis Elwell dies at work, shortly after telling a coworker that he had drunk cyanide.
21 Apr 2003 $25 million lottery winner Richard Krenzer is stabbed six times by Randall Hillyard and his son at the Swillburg Stop Bar & Grill outside Rochester, NY.
29 Jun 2003 Lottery millionaire Jody Lee Taylor is arrested in Collinsville, Virginia for attempting to run over a sheriff's deputy. On the night of his arrest, Taylor was driving naked down the wrong side of U.S. Route 58 with his headlights off.
5 Aug 2003 After lottery millionaire Jack Whittaker passes out in a West Virginia strip bar, a burglar steals his briefcase containing $545,000 in negotiable bonds. The money is located in a trash dumpster the next morning.
13 Sep 2003 The London Telegraph reports that 16-year-old British lottery millionaire Callie Rogers has lost her boyfriend, fought with her father, been mugged, and been accused of stealing someone's man. "Some days I don't even want to leave my house because people just scream abuse at me. Two months ago I thought I was the luckiest teenager in Britain. But today I can say I have never felt so miserable."
15 Sep 2003 In his Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey home, lottery millionaire Oscar Cordoba repeatedly stabs his wife and her mother with a kitchen knife, killing the mother-in-law.
17 Oct 2003 In a program entitled Living with the Lottery Lout, ITV1 reports that British lottery millionaire Michael Carroll has completely alienated his neighbors in Swaffham, Norfolk by periodically staging loud, impromptu demolition derbies on his property.
18 Nov 2003 An English court issues a bench warrant for lottery millionaire Satish Patel, charged with defrauding the government for three years' worth of unemployment claims.
6 Jan 2004 After getting banned from Billy Sundays Bar and Grill in St Albans, West Virginia, lottery winner Jack Whittaker reportedly threatens to have the manager and his family killed.
20 Jan 2004 Lottery winner Jack Whittaker reports that shortly after dawn, somebody broke into his SUV in Scott Depot, West Virginia and stole a bag containing $100,000 cash.
25 Jan 2004 Lottery winner Jack Whittaker is arrested for drunk driving in Nitro, West Virginia. Police allege the millionaire blew a .190 blood alcohol on the breathalyzer.
Apr 2004 A judge rules that broke Virginia lottery millionaire Suzanne Mullins owes $154,146.50 to the People's Lottery Foundation, a Florida lending institution specializing in loans to lottery winners.
26 Jun 2004 At his Longmont, Colorado home, state lottery millionaire Kevin Lee Sutton allegedly shoots Cristobal Lopez in the head with a .22 caliber pistol. Lopez survives and Sutton is later charged with attempted murder.
20 Jul 2004 In Minneapolis, MN, lottery millionaire Victoria A. Zell reportedly crashes her SUV into a truck on the way home from a bar, killing passenger Joshua Schmidt and paralyzing Amity Dimock from the waist down.
7 Aug 2004 Incarcerated serial rapist Iorworth Hoare wins $12.9 million in the British lottery.
13 Aug 2004 The nonprofit group Equine Protection of North America files suit against New Hampshire lottery millionaire Mary Ellen Sanderson for failure to deliver on an alleged $70,000 annual donation pledge.
24 Aug 2004 An Arizona bird refuge, The Oasis Sanctuary, files suit against New Hampshire lottery millionaires Mary Ellen Sanderson and former husband Jason Sanderson for failure to deliver on an alleged $100,000 annual donation pledge.
Sep 2004 Minnesota lottery millionaire Victoria A. Zell is arrested for having allegedly violated the terms of her bail and possessing 0.7 grams of methamphetamine. Zell had also reportedly wired $500,000 to a Canadian bank.
10 Oct 2004 Seattle police officers shoot California lottery millionaire Rick Camat to death in a parking lot near Qwest Field. Officers claim that Camat refused to drop his pistol, but Camat's brother claims the cops give him no instructions to do so.
2 Oct 2005 Having spent his $10 million prize in just seven years, Winnipeg lottery winner Gerald Muswagon hangs himself. Notable events in his monied spree include a high-speed chase in 2000 and a sexual assault arrest in 2002.
28 Oct 2005 Million dollar jackpot winner Christina Goodenow is arrested after Oregon police discover that she had purchased the winning ticket with a credit card stolen from her dead mother-in-law. Police searching her home discover her stash of methamphetamine, but find no trace of her first $33,500 installment.
15 Jan 2006 Bankrupt ex-lottery millionaire William "Bud" Post III dies of respiratory failure in Seneca, Pennsylvania. Post had won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania lottery on February 24, 1988. From a 1993 interview: "Everybody dreams of winning money, but nobody realizes the nightmares that come out of the woodwork, or the problems."

Money changes everything...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
Money changes everything...
So does the media. I bet the stable lottery millionaires (admittedly this may be oxymoronic) are so boring that no one asks about them.

I wonder if an equivalent list of "good" millionaire accomplishments could be drawn up...

Old 01-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

The answer to what happened to all the smart guys who won the lottery - they are all anonymous :-) The site TH got the list(atleast it looks very similar) has a checklist on how to be smart about winning too!

http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/lottery-winners/

Old 01-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #33

And from yesterday, Jack Whittaker, who won $113 million in 2002, is out of money.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16599742/?GT1=8921