Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #41

Glad to hear that things are turning around. It sounds like this was a good time for getting on the same page after all and that the result will be better alignment and communications on finances - which is all good in my book!

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Data are key to good decision making. Sounds like DH did not previously have a good handle on the expenses data. It might be very helpful to analyze the percentage of income that is going to offspring for each of you.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Data are key to good decision making. Sounds like DH did not previously have a good handle on the expenses data. It might be very helpful to analyze the percentage of income that is going to offspring for each of you.
The offspring thing is not something I can even address. This is one area where he feels he has total say and bristles at anything I might say. We have been married 10 years so I know this. I was very annoyed at this in the beginning (no way to really uncover that prior to marriage) but now I try to look at it as a positive. I feel total freedom to do what I want for my son. He doesn't do anything stupid, we just have very different approaches to kids and money.

Another reason I wanted to buy my son the condo is that even though we each brought half the assets in this marriage, we decided to split the estate 3 ways evenly in our trust. But he spent his inheritance on college, I am not. So I am spending 25% of the inheritance on this condo, so I can feel like in case I die, some of my family money makes it way directly to my only heir and set him up for some small measure of success.

The only thing he agreed to pre-ER, was no paying for big weddings. Each kid gets 10K and that is it. We'll see if he sticks to it! haha
Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post

The offspring thing is not something I can even address. This is one area where he feels he has total say and bristles at anything I might say. We have been married 10 years so I know this. I was very annoyed at this in the beginning (no way to really uncover that prior to marriage) but now I try to look at it as a positive. I feel total freedom to do what I want for my son. He doesn't do anything stupid, we just have very different approaches to kids and money.

Another reason I wanted to buy my son the condo is that even though we each brought half the assets in this marriage, we decided to split the estate 3 ways evenly in our trust. But he spent his inheritance on college, I am not. So I am spending 25% of the inheritance on this condo, so I can feel like in case I die, some of my family money makes it way directly to my only heir and set him up for some small measure of success.

The only thing he agreed to pre-ER, was no paying for big weddings. Each kid gets 10K and that is it. We'll see if he sticks to it! haha
I understand the difficulties in dealing with partners off-spring. Appears it is going as well as possible. My GF and I decided the best way for us to deal with it, is to not deal with it at all. We plan on living together, but not until both sides offspring have flown away and built their own nest. Six years and waiting! Oh well, we only live a half a mile away from each other and it eliminates all problems.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I am totally happy in my marriage but honestly, I would have just lived together after I discovered all the financial issues. For example: he was high wage earner and his income counted toward my son getting financial aid....so he got none, even though my new husband was not going to be paying my son's college. If I hadn't married him, my son would have gotten a nice chunk.

Overall, I think it is easier when there are kids.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

That's great, BellBarbara!

Maybe soon, when he's calmed down a little more, your husband will thank you for having kept the ship on course all these years while he wasn't paying attention.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Be happy for collecting all the data.
Imagine such discussions without any solid data to get back to and to keep emotions under control.....