Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Here's essentially the same graph varying the length of retirement instead of the stock/bond ratio (stock allocation is fixed at 60%). No surprises, although I wish it was a prettier picture for us ER folks.

TimeVaryingMaxWithdrawRates.jpg

BTW, one of my pet peeves is almost all retirement-related books and papers use a 20 or 30-year retirement. For some here 40 years or even 50+ years is not out of the question.

samclem: just an observation.... I believe using Shiller's data your harvesting approach would come close to a highest-first scheme (given the long interest rate is used and never has a loss, as Independent pointed out)

Independent: interesting info. Thanks.
mmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcc View Post
Flipping through a new book, "Your Nest Egg Game Plan", I found a nice bar graph showing the maximum safe initial withdraw rates by starting year for a 60/40 US stock-bond portfolio. (The graph is copyrighted by The Kite Report, a monthly financial newsletter, but I didn't see it on the associated web site.) I liked the graph since it gave sort of birds-eye view of FireCalc results for a vanilla 60/40 portfolio. Unfortunately, the data in the book's graph was wrong, showing around a 50% success rate for 6% withdraws and around a 95% success rate for 5% (if it was only true!).
A final update.....I stumbled on a reference saying the Kite Report has published approaches to improving withdraw rates. I'm guessing the book incorrectly referenced the Kite graph as a source of "normal" safe withdraw rates, when in reality Kite was showing their improved results. This is probably just a bit of trivia here, but I wanted to be fair to the Kite Report since I said above the published data was wrong.
mmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe you meant to refer to The Kitces Report...

http://www.kitces.com/blog/index.php
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote