Join Early Retirement Today

Without bound
Old 06-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Without bound

Worried about having enough saved for retirement. I came upon this documentary I think you will find it interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wanna give us a hint before I invest 50:31 of my life?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

I watched, and found it engaging enough to go all the way through.

It's a profile of a half-dozen full-time vagabonds. Single men, single women, a couple. All are living on ultra-low spending of perhaps $500 - $1000 per month. None live in conventional RVs or trailers, though. One has a stealth cargo trailer. Several have van conversions.

The common thread to each of them - and the part that makes it interesting in a way a good documentary does - is they all seem to be content and fulfilled living Thoreau's life in a van down in the National Forest, BLM land, or in a quiet parking lot in a town they are traveling through.

There's some hippy-dippiness to some of the story-tellers, though. I found myself wondering about the brownies being baked in a sun oven around 16:30.

Three and a half stars.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #4

These are a group of people that retired with very little... some manage on as little as $500 a month. They live in campers or converted vans and travel about the country. They talk about our countries addiction to consumerism and what it really means to simplify. They are extreme examples no doubt but there are some valuable lessons to be learned.

Some started their adventure because they lost it all - others because they decided on a lifestyle change. They talk about where they can camp for $0 ... Government owned lands, the local car repair shop,...

What struck me most is that many people will tell you need $1MM to retire. These people will tell you and show you that you are wrong. They will tell you living a life as a slave to a home with a 30 year mortgage is insanity.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

OK, thanks for the descriptions. Watched 5 minutes of it, that was enough for me. Too 'preachy' for me.

If these people like that life style, that's fine. I can see a certain attraction to it. But the comments like (paraphrasing) - 'the advertisers are trying to get everyone to buy a new car every year' and ' the average person spends 47% of their income on their home - that's a crime', turn me off. It's a choice. If someone wants to spend 47% of their income on their home, that's a choice. If someone wants to live in their vehicle, that's a choice.

Quote:
What struck me most is that many people will tell you need $1MM to retire. These people will tell you and show you that you are wrong. They will tell you living a life as a slave to a home with a 30 year mortgage is insanity.
I disagree that they will show you it is 'wrong'. They will show you a different path. But what if that path isn't to your liking? Does that make me 'wrong'? And them 'right'?

My 30 year mortgages were not insanity and didn't make me a slave. That statement is crazy. We wanted a nice home in a good school district in a good place to raise our kids, that was close to my work. That was freeing. And it was a choice. It's not the only path, but it was ours, and even in hindsight I'm good with it.

I hope these people are happy with their choice as well. But I don't need any preachers telling me my way is 'wrong'.

Saved myself 45:31.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I may be getting old, which is crummy in itsself, but what a blessing that I don't also have to live on $500/month.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #7

I liked the vid, and enjoyed being exposed to the mindset and getting a glimpse into the lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

I wish I would have spent a few years traveling the country living in a minivan after highschool and before college. I could have survived without a daily hot shower back then. Not so now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
StikyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've watched it before (may have even seen it posted on this forum) and quite enjoyed it. I love seeing different perspectives and how different people can find satisfaction in lifestyles that are outside the norm.

Thanks for reminding me about it, and I did get a laugh again out of the aging hippy elements. But some of their stories are really touching, and it is clear they are living on their own terms.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm sold. I'll be off to Prince Rupert inside a week. Thank you for sharing.

Ha
Old 06-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I may be getting old, which is crummy in itsself, but what a blessing that I don't also have to live on $500/month.
Living on $500 a month to me borders on the impossible.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice video. Good to see that some folks can enjoy life even with such meager financial resources. Goes to show how much one really needs to get by.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:37 AM   #13

Well, someone once said you are better off if you are wealthy or poor. It's most us middle class folk that get stuck with the bill.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #14

That video convinced me that I would never want to live like that.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #15

The internal ability to adapt to something even approaching this lifestyle, even temporarily, and still be happy, would be a priceless asset to have if the worst of times ever struck.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

This guy is not retired but lives in his van. His says of himself "I'm a nomad, musician, and big proponent of the simple life".

To Simplify 2.0
Old 06-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I could do it on a temporary basis, but not permanently...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #18

Some of them may even possibly yearn for the Great Depression. . .
Old 06-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #19

I think it would be fun to do something short term...might be a fun way to see the United States. But, I couldn't live that lifestyle, long term.

People talk about being trapped by big houses, luxury splurges, etc. But to me, something like living out of a van could become its own trap. If you have the money for something better, you can stop doing it and go home once the magic wears off. But to be forced to live on so little, I'd worry about what happened if the van broke down, where I might be spending my next night if I can't find a free/ultra-cheap place to park, where my next meal is coming from, etc.

I guess you'd get used to it, but to me it would seem like a life of constant worry.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #20

Thanks for posting. Thoroughly enjoyed watching all of it. I live in an area where the stench of people preoccupied with the material (5 minutes from Beverly Hills, California) permeates everything. You can cut the buried unhappiness and dissatisfaction with a knife. When I leave here in 4 1/2 short years, I may very well consider buying a self-contained camper (RV would be too big for my tastes) and hitting the road, at least for a while. The Waldon reference in the video was priceless.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote