Join Early Retirement Today

Woohoo!
Old 10-22-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woohoo!

Hey y'all,

According to Firecalc, DW and I can retire in another 10 years (when I'm 48) with a 97% success rate!* WOOHOO!!!* And since DW and I plan on working part-time in our retirement years, we should be OK.* 8)* This is assuming, however, that our incomes and savings rate will not decrease at all in the next 10 years.

I'm psyched!
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Woohoo!
Old 10-22-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone
Hey y'all,

According to Firecalc, DW and I can retire in another 10 years (when I'm 48) with a 97% success rate!* WOOHOO!!!* And since DW and I plan on working part-time in our retirement years, we should be OK.* 8)* This is assuming, however, that our incomes and savings rate will not decrease at all in the next 10 years.

I'm psyched!
It also assumes you are alive. Sorry!

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:27 AM   #3
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Congrats!

And don't forget that every $4000 you can cut from your annual spending means about $100,000 you won't need to accumulate - thus hitting that ER date even earlier.

I'm not suggesting you quit doing what you want just to cut expenses so you can retire -- that would defeat the purpose of ER -- but if you don't expect to need that 2nd car, etc...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heh heh heh heh heh

Since I stumbled into ER by accident via layoff in 1993:

Hindsight says - it's amazing what you can do with spending when you treat it as a research challenge/engineering problem. I'm still proud of my one year 12k budget - even though nobody else in the household was impressed.

Bottom line - you have way more control over spending than you may think - versus say perhaps portfolio growth.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:12 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
Congrats!

And don't forget that every $4000 you can cut from your annual spending means about $100,000 you won't need to accumulate - thus hitting that ER date even earlier.

I'm not suggesting you quit doing what you want just to cut expenses so you can retire -- that would defeat the purpose of ER -- but if you don't expect to need that 2nd car, etc...
Thanks, Dory.* Good to know.* I'm really glad that I quit smoking!* Think of all the money saved! (not to mention the health benefits)
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
It also assumes you are alive.* Sorry!
Cruel. Very cruel.

Funny! But cruel.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks Dory-I did not know that either. I really need to start tracking where our money goes. It is such a pain and my DH does not like to hear it, but I know we could easily cut $4000.00 out of our budget and probably alot more than that! We need to eliminate the fourth and fifth vehicle!!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote