Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
So another special offer to buy Quicken 2015 for Mac, this time, $44-45. Offers are getting worse.

Well my last import to Quicken Essentials is broken for the Vanguard OFX file. It adds an Available Cash category which is a total of all the other funds. So it makes my VG balance twice what it actually is.

VG said it's a known issue with Quicken Essentials but I wasn't doing a direct download within Quicken. I was downloading the OFX file like I'd been doing for years.

If Quicken Essentials stops working, I'll have to figure something out. I keep a Google Docs spreadsheet which updates the quotes every day. The nice thing about Quicken is that it directly downloads for a lot of my accounts and updates the share quantities.

Otherwise, I'd have to log into each account and manually update.

That convenience might be worth $40-50, though Intuit is alienating people all the time and aside from the direct downloads, Quicken doesn't really offer me anything since I keep a separate spreadsheet of all my spending.

I'm leery about putting all my credit card accounts into Quicken.
We tried Mac Quicken 2015. It was unworkable for us - too many missing features.

Fortunately, Quicken 2007 is still working fine for me after the two recent patches, and I haven't had to pay extra for it in a long time.

I'm not worried about Quicken downloading or importing my credit cards info as any credit card is easy to close with little ramification (other than inconvenience). It's the direct download from the brokerage that makes me queasy these days. I wish my brokerage would make the files available in QFX format.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I got fed up with Quicken's Mac 'support', and moved to iBank. iBank 5 supports both OFX and QIF imports and automatic downloads using the same bank-side mechanisms as Quicken. Unlike Quicken the downloads don't stop working after a few years.

I went to Moneydance when I moved to a Mac. It also supports both OFX and QIF imports and as an added bonus, is cross platform. Not quite as polished in some regards, but it gets the job done.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately my brokerage won't generate QFX files. All my other institutions do.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #24

Quicken 2015 for mac is junk…that's all I have to say about that. Wish I could get my $25 back on that one.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Baffling that Intuit has not produced a version of Quickenfor Mac that rivals the a Windows version, but they haven't. If you run Mac and like Quicken, you need to use Quicken for Windows on your Mac using Parallels or VMware. I have been using Parallels for years on my Mac and only for the purpose of using Quicken. It works great.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do any of the alternatives import Quicken data files?

So that I wouldn't have to set up my accounts all over again?

Though I suppose even if it did do all that, I'd have to re-enter the passwords for my accounts to download the transactions.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We tried Mac Quicken 2015. It was unworkable for us - too many missing features.

Fortunately, Quicken 2007 is still working fine for me after the two recent patches, and I haven't had to pay extra for it in a long time.
Have you tried the latest updates? Been thinking about updating from Q07 (mac) and following comments on various forums. Intuit seems to be slowly adding features and reviews remain mixed.
What features did you miss when you tried Q15 (vs Q07)?
Old 05-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #28

I'm wondering if I can take my Quicken Essentials file to my PC, open it there, update the accounts using Quicken 2013 or Quicken 2014 that I have and whether that would work.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #29

It's really sad that Q2007 is still the most robust Quicken app for the Mac. And they are still updating it and providing online quotes for it because they haven't developed a new version of equivalent software! Q2012 for Windows is already losing its online capabilities and Q2007 for Mac still has them, what there is of them....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Have you tried the latest updates? Been thinking about updating from Q07 (mac) and following comments on various forums. Intuit seems to be slowly adding features and reviews remain mixed.
What features did you miss when you tried Q15 (vs Q07)?
It's a huge list. Some things did not work well.

The major deal breaker was the limited reports, and not customizable either.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #31

Been using the Quicken 2014 on a Mac with the help of Codeweavers Crossover software. So far so good (but we don't do downloading of transactions).
Old 05-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #32

I still have Q2007 installed on my Mac, but right now I mostly use Q2013 for Windows using virtualization software (or by booting directly into Windows through Boot Camp).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Q2007 is still working very well for me.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:51 AM   #34

Including auto downloads from your accounts?

Intuit has repeatedly pestered me to upgrade from Quicken Essentials because it's no longer going to be able to download from my accounts. Haven't tried since last month but it was suppose to end as of 4/30.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:13 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Including auto downloads from your accounts?

Intuit has repeatedly pestered me to upgrade from Quicken Essentials because it's no longer going to be able to download from my accounts. Haven't tried since last month but it was suppose to end as of 4/30.
This continues to work just fine for Mac users of Q2007.