Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Woohoo! Quicken 2007(mac) Updated!
Old 12-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Woohoo! Quicken 2007(mac) Updated!

The direct transaction importing broke on 10-22-14 because Quicken 2007(Mac) was not compliant with the latest security that institutions were using. So you just got errors.

I did try some things with Quicken 2015, but it's such a huge change, and missing so much. And even though my 2007 data file transferred OK, when I tried to import transactions, things kind of went haywire. Plus I was missing ALL my reports (most not supported).

So I was going to limp along with manual entry for some institutions where I couldn't get QFX files that would work on import.

An update to Quicken was released today, and I've tested it and I've got my direct transaction download back. Yay!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recently updated to Quicken 2015 and was surprised all my Quicken 2005 imported directly and successfully. What a relief.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The Mac version of Quicken 2015 may be much more limited than the Windows version.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #4

I have run 2 versions of Quicken over the years:

- Quicken 6 (for DOS)
- Quicken 98

Of course, I no longer do any interactions with other institutions, but I still hope nothing breaks on my system(fingers crossed).

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Still running Quicken 2000 on Windows 7! Unable to print reports but otherwise works; hoping to FIRE before next computer and be in a "who needs it anyway" stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Retire44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the information. I was thinking of giving up on Quicken since this download issue popped. Got the update and now all is fine with my bank downloads.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been running Quicken Windows version on my Mac for years using Parallels. Works great. Still don't think Quicken Mac version is ready for prime time.
523HRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Thanks for the information. I was thinking of giving up on Quicken since this download issue popped. Got the update and now all is fine with my bank downloads.
Such a relief, no?

After giving the new Mac version of Quicken 2015 a really good try, and determining it to be a no go, and I had finally resolved to manually enter all my Fidelity transactions, at least for this year. Thank goodness the update came out in time for all the mutual fund distributions that start rolling in this week.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #9

I run quicken Rental property Manager 2014. It is best not to let the versions get more than two years old.

If you have to get a new computer, the original software might not even install, and you are back to square one.

The software is not that expensive, and you can even find a lot of it out there free or used.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Whoops! I ran into a problem.

Quotes now hangs!!! I have to force quit Quicken 2007.

Problem may be that my Mac is running an older OS (Mountain Lion, I think). I tried it also on a Mac running Mavericks, and Quotes worked fine.

Workaround - download historical prices works without hanging, and gives me the correct result. So I can use this for now instead of hitting the Quotes button.

Now the tricky part. Apple has released Yosemite, so it's not easy to upgrade my Mac just to Mavericks, as that is no longer available via Apple update. DH may have an installer I can use. I am not yet ready to take the leap to Yosemite.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Whoops! I ran into a problem.

Quotes now hangs!!! I have to force quit Quicken 2007.

Problem may be that my Mac is running an older OS (Mountain Lion, I think). I tried it also on a Mac running Mavericks, and Quotes worked fine.

Workaround - download historical prices works without hanging, and gives me the correct result. So I can use this for now instead of hitting the Quotes button.

Now the tricky part. Apple has released Yosemite, so it's not easy to upgrade my Mac just to Mavericks, as that is no longer available via Apple update. DH may have an installer I can use. I am not yet ready to take the leap to Yosemite.
Upgraded to Yosemite, quotes doesn't hang on my mac anymore. Thank goodness!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I've been using Quicken Essentials for a couple of years, to aggregate a single view of my investments. I don't put any expenses in it.

They've been pestering me to upgrade to Quicken 2015 for Mac.

Now, an email saying all the connected services will end on 4/30/15 for Quicken Essentials.

I guess when you buy Quicken, they're not promising to support it indefinitely?

They expect you to constantly buy new versions?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #13

I got that emsil today too. Not happy. Never been satisfied with the Quicken forMac yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I guess I'll just have to manually download QFX files like I do for a couple of brokerages and do it manually.

Actually the auto download is mostly useful for updating DRIP shares so I can update that manually and then update prices.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Well a new email, 50% off Quicken for Mac, until 2/9/15.

It's $36-37 after the discount, before taxes if any.

Still not too interested.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Well a new email, 50% off Quicken for Mac, until 2/9/15.
Can it tell the difference between long and short capital gains yet, or deal with sales by specific lot?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used Quicken for Windows on my Mac for years via Parallels. Works fine for me despite the flaws that just never get fixed by Intuit. But it is just inexplicable that they do not have a Quicken version for Mac that matches the functionality of the Windows version.
523HRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

OK - another update for Quicken 2007 Mac.

This one fixed my hanging problem with Quicken Quotes. I was working around it by using the historical download feature instead.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

So another special offer to buy Quicken 2015 for Mac, this time, $44-45. Offers are getting worse.

Well my last import to Quicken Essentials is broken for the Vanguard OFX file. It adds an Available Cash category which is a total of all the other funds. So it makes my VG balance twice what it actually is.

VG said it's a known issue with Quicken Essentials but I wasn't doing a direct download within Quicken. I was downloading the OFX file like I'd been doing for years.

If Quicken Essentials stops working, I'll have to figure something out. I keep a Google Docs spreadsheet which updates the quotes every day. The nice thing about Quicken is that it directly downloads for a lot of my accounts and updates the share quantities.

Otherwise, I'd have to log into each account and manually update.

That convenience might be worth $40-50, though Intuit is alienating people all the time and aside from the direct downloads, Quicken doesn't really offer me anything since I keep a separate spreadsheet of all my spending.

I'm leery about putting all my credit card accounts into Quicken.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I got fed up with Quicken's Mac 'support', and moved to iBank. iBank 5 supports both OFX and QIF imports and automatic downloads using the same bank-side mechanisms as Quicken. Unlike Quicken the downloads don't stop working after a few years.

Oh, and iBank can actually track capital gains or losses, unlike Quicken Essentials and it's successor. Wasn't it CEO Brad Smith that said "Math is hard"?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote