Join Early Retirement Today

Work til you drop
Old 02-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Work til you drop

Old news around here, but boomers are beginning to realise they can never retire.

FTA:
"My advice is above all don't retire," he says. "If you like your job at all, hold onto it. Because getting (it) back in in this era is essentially impossible."
jefipius is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Glad to have read the article. Once again it makes me think that we should provide a phase-out period for older workers. Allow some part-time work for 5-10 years. This would help older people handle the economics of retirement and open some jobs for younger people. My 2 cents.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read a report today that stated that one third of all job growth in Canada since the recession is due to people 60 and over. People 60 and over represent about 8% of all workers. Seems surprising to me.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #4

If you enjoy working, go for it. I specifically planned from age 24 to someday be able to choose whether I wanted to work.....and I'm nearly there now. I probably will work at something, which is why I call it "rehirement", but it will be fewer hours, much lower stress, and not in the current field I'm in (corporate finance).

It will be nice to have the option!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Articles like this just make me shake my head. They focus on making more and spending more. That mentality is driving overconsumption, poor health and broad dissatisfaction in the USA. The question should be "How much is enough?".
Unfortuntely, cutting back never lined the pockets of financial analysts, brokers, etc. So it very rarely gets any consideration.
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #6

I just don't get it. Telling most people to just keep working is like telling a half-dead pack mule, "It's okay. Just keep walking."

I've never understood this kind of "advice."
Old 02-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am almost 64 and think every day about when to retire. My job is ok 10 months a year and the benefits are really good. I have about enough saved to retire but giving up the paycheck will limit my spending in retirement.

Yesterday I got diabetes and my health insurance paid 100% of the medicine and I had only a 30 co pay for the office visit. I think it will pay for testing equipment too.
I have 192 hours sick pay so can go to doctors on company time and dietitian classes.

I could quit and get Cobra but that is 800 a month or more. Medicare will start in 14 months if unemployed but having great insurance is better.

I can earn over 70K on this job, have hundreds of hours of vacations and sick leave or quit and live on my life savings and SS. Every year I work gets me an extra 100 a month or more for life. If I quit I have more time to eat so working is probably better for my health.

I might work until I am 65 but maybe 66 or even 67 so I can retire with more money.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote