Working on my second million...

R

RoundTheWorld-er

...I gave up on the first! Credit my aunt for that long-standing family joke. And I credit the real estate market for it's no longer a joke to me! It's looking like I can can the 9-to-5 and be FIRE'd before 50 (turning 49 in 06).

It's a shift in paradigm, but I'm taking to the notion that, rather than working to accumulate more for the sake of more, let it ride, step aside and use the time and energy otherwise.

As a newbie to this forum, I've got a lot of catching up to do on earlier posts, and thanks in advance for all who have contributed, and continue to contribute to the wealth of wisdom found here.

RTW-er

tons of congrats, i am counting the days when i can be in your shoes. hate my job (although it's a great job). our goal is the same we want to call it quit in 10 years or sooner. definietly try to beat the 50 mark.

enuff

Thanks tons. Retiring FROM is half the equation. Retiring from an unwanted job is easy. The quandary I'm suddenly faced with is the retiring TO WHAT part. After years of working towards $$$ accumulation, it's quite another concept to work (or not) towards some other (or no) end....until this board I rather assumed the next step is towards the second million...

I'm also planning on retireing before 50. I'm 48 now and may call it quits this year, next year at the latest. I'm paying for my kids college and its costing alittle more than I thought. Im socking most of my salary away to give my self alittle more cushion.

I like to golf so I'm joining a golf club this year. I hope it allows me to meet some new people and I'll be able to play more when I do retire. My dad retired at 57 and is now 70. He still gets up and walks 2 miles a day and plays at least 18 holes a day weather permitting. This time of year he goes to florida and changes the golf to fishing. He said he wished he had retired sooner.

RoundTheWorld-er said:
Thanks tons. Retiring FROM is half the equation. Retiring from an unwanted job is easy. The quandary I'm suddenly faced with is the retiring TO WHAT part. After years of working towards $$$ accumulation, it's quite another concept to work (or not) towards some other (or no) end....until this board I rather assumed the next step is towards the second million...

If you have already achieved financial independance (FI), may be the next step is having fun and enjoy life (as opposed to more money or wealth).

Congrats and Welcome RTW-er!

I'm just now celebrating the end of my first ER year. What a wonderful long strange trip its been.

One of my favorite quotes that sums it up is, "I wake up each day with nothing to do and at night, fall asleep having only accomplished half of it."

I imagine you'll be in the ranks in about 1 very short year. Plan now.

BUM ;)

isn't it like a dream come true..."waking up in the morning with NOTHING to do..." i will give anything to get to that stage. yet i know tons of people at work, eligible for retirement yet kept coming back to work for more. frankly, i feel sorry for those people. Work is their life. not enuff money to enjoy, not enuff hobbies, not enuff of things to do, not enuff friends and family to occupied their time. Next alternitive, back to work

enuff

I made my first million. Unfortunately I spent it.
It was quite a party though. :)

JG

MRGALT2U said:
I made my first million. Unfortunately I spent it.
It was quite a party though. :)

JG

Yes, it's possible to spend over a million dollars on just one party:
"Koslowski, Swartz, and Belnick stole $600 million dollars from Tyco International through their unapproved bonuses, loans, and extravagant "company" spending. Rumors of a $6,000 shower curtain, $2,000 trash can, and a $2 million dollar birthday party for Koslowski's wife in Italy are just a few examples of the misuse of company funds...."

Back
Top Bottom