Workplace BS

Small company culture is determined by leadership of the owner. If the guy is upstanding and on the ball, then everyone else will at least try to be. If the guy is too busy or hands off to lead or he's slime ball himself, then all kinds of bad behaviors come out because there is no other mechanism like rules and regulations to keep people's idiocy in check. Then you're going to get the bosses who hire sales reps because they look good or a Ralph, the do nothing yeller.

Good explanations. But I can't help thinking for small cos, the ratio of non-productive activity/productive activity could swell out-of-hand quickly. They've got to have some other real advantageous edges to compensate.

As I mentioned, I was intimately involved with some tech start-ups. We were mostly nerds, trying to make a living doing what we do best and not having to suffer fools. It did not work out, though we worked so hard and "so smart":). Being nerdy may have a lot to do with the failure.

And, by the way, I like serif font better than sans-serif.

I like to use TeX and its fonts (like Time Romans, except better). Donald Knuth rules! I am sure someone else here will agree. The friend I described was also a TeX aficionado, hence it was torture for him to use MS Word, and with Courier font to boot.

A friend of mine quit and moved to a mid-size aerospace company in town. This was in the early 90s. When he met with us for beer afterwork sometime later, he told his story. Their order was to use Courier. Yes, Courier. We cried out "No way, you are BS'ing us". He said, well the guy in charge grew up on typewriter fonts, and saw no need to change. We laughed until we cried in our beer.

I worked for a big aerospace company. In the 90's -- if my recollection is correct -- I got a copy of the official company standard for producing documents on a "word processor." Basically the standard said to make the document look like it was typed on a typewriter: courier font, everything monospaced, everything the same size, etc.

This wouldn't have been to bad by itself, except that the standard also dictated where the company logo had to go. The latter was basically impossible to do with the word processor that I was using at the time.

The company did eventually adopt standards that made more sense given current technology.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure this is a US thing only. The rest of the world is well-known for having no barriers to business productivity.

I can't help thinking that the Chinese are so busy building stuff that they have no time for BS. They build all the electronic gadgets we are enjoying. Learning to design them too! Also, Jim Rogers ranted about the Chinese work ethics, once their rulers released them from government co-ops. Of course, their bubble is being deflated now, but I have no doubt it will come back. Of course nobody knows when.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure this is a US thing only. The rest of the world is well-known for having no barriers to business productivity.

And if US businesses cannot possibly be productive, what makes you think stock prices will come back up??

Technical reasons? Plus things may get undervalued? Plus some goods/services cannot be imported, like health care, housing, retails, etc...

Don't confuse the Chinese stock market with the Chinese economy.

I am trying. Like I said, I am just a nerd. NO sarcasm intended. I want to make money, and will listen to all viewpoints.

I am trying. Like I said, I am just a nerd. NO sarcasm intended. I want to make money, and will listen to all viewpoints.

Forgot to add this disclaimer: I currently do not own, nor ever bought any Chinese stock, nor will anytime soon (I do not even know what to buy, not having researched the market). Just toss this idea out in response to another post, as a point for your own mulling. Jim Rogers books, I read for his multi-year worldwide treks/adventures, and on-the-scene observations of various governments and cultures. He went far beyond places that my Eurail passes would take me. And there are so many Euro rail spurs to explore, so little time, so little money...

Last edited:
Jim Rogers books, I read for his multi-year worldwide treks/adventures, and on-the-scene observations of various governments and cultures. He went far beyond places that my Eurail passes would take me. And there are so many Euro rail spurs to explore, so little time, so little money...
Jim Rogers, the guy who sold his Manhattan home for a gazillion dollars of cap gains and moved his family to China so that his preschool daughter could grow up speaking Mandarin?

What Brewer said...

And if US businesses cannot possibly be productive, what makes you think stock prices will come back up??

Trust me when I tell you that British run megacorps ar just as bad as US megacorps when it comes to BS and red-tape, and they both shine like bright stars in comparison to their European counterparts. I have experienced this in bucket fulls over the last 30 years working in the US, UK and Belgium and listened to many friends and colleagues relating similar stories to this thread.

..... I am sure he is still a richard cranium.

:2funny: Not heard that phrase, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunity to use it.

Forgot to add this disclaimer: I currently do not own, nor ever bought any Chinese stock, nor will anytime soon (I do not even know what to buy, not having researched the market). Just toss this idea out in response to another post, as a point for your own mulling. Jim Rogers books, I read for his multi-year worldwide treks/adventures, and on-the-scene observations of various governments and cultures. He went far beyond places that my Eurail passes would take me. And there are so many Euro rail spurs to explore, so little time, so little money...

Frankly, I have never bought any Chinese equity, nor do I plan to. The standard of investor protection is waaayyy too low for me to even consider it. However, there are plenty of other investments out there that give you exposure to what is going on in the Chinese economy

The book was thin enough that I decided to waste 20 minutes on it.

Executive summary of the book: Change happens so adapt or die. Also, if you see man-sized mice or mouse-sized men, you're probably on LSD.

or in an NYC Subway station.

Right after I made my last post, I had to log off to drive up to my mountain "retreat". No Internet access, which lets me catch up on some reading. How can you guys find time to read (and I am sure you read)?

Jim Rogers, the guy who sold his Manhattan home for a gazillion dollars of cap gains and moved his family to China so that his preschool daughter could grow up speaking Mandarin?

What Brewer said...

Quite radical, I know. There was no indication he would do that in his first 2 books. I only found out recently, when I decided to check on the Web to see what he's up to. And, having gone hardover on Chinese stocks, I wonder how his investments are doing with their market meltdown.

I'll admit that I am not sure how I would value his opinions, had I known his recent move to Singapore. The guy is quite different than the common man in order to travel into places that had 99.9% chance of resulting in bodily harms. Recently, I saw an interview with him on youtube. Looks like a pleasant man to me...

Well, if nothing else, his books gave me a heck of a geographic lesson. With Google Earth, everything looks so small and so close together. I keep having to remind myself that the view on the ground is quite different.

Frankly, I have never bought any Chinese equity, nor do I plan to. The standard of investor protection is waaayyy too low for me to even consider it. However, there are plenty of other investments out there that give you exposure to what is going on in the Chinese economy

Yes. Now you are talking ...:)

I'll admit that I am not sure how I would value his opinions, had I known his recent move to Singapore. The guy is quite different than the common man in order to travel into places that had 99.9% chance of resulting in bodily harms. Recently, I saw an interview with him on youtube. Looks like a pleasant man to me...

:)

I value his opinions highly, he called the commodity boom long before it happened, CNBC ridiculed him week after week for it when he was on that show.

He said Freddie and Fannie were a disaster several years ago and said he was short.

He called the upturn in the airlines a few years back when they were still in the tank. (before the big rally and recent swoon)

He called the real estate crash.

Now he says the FED is nuts for bailing everybody out. See if that doesn't come true too.

His track record is much better than most. If I listen to anyone he's in my top ten.

I value his opinions highly, he called the commodity boom long before it happened, CNBC ridiculed him week after week for it when he was on that show.

He said Freddie and Fannie were a disaster several years ago and said he was short.

He called the upturn in the airlines a few years back when they were still in the tank. (before the big rally and recent swoon)

He called the real estate crash.

Now he says the FED is nuts for bailing everybody out. See if that doesn't come true too.

His track record is much better than most. If I listen to anyone he's in my top ten.

You are right! He was prescient in those things you mentioned. Like I said, I was caught up in his travel adventure, and forgot about his financial predictions. Still, how he's doing in Chinese stocks, anybody knows? You could be right all your life, until you decide to put it all on number 13!

You are right! He was prescient in those things you mentioned. Like I said, I was caught up in his travel adventure, and forgot about his financial predictions. Still, how he's doing in Chinese stocks, anybody knows? You could be right all your life, until you decide to put it all on number 13!

I think Mr. Rogers is up there with Bill Gross of PIMCO: they both like to talk their book in front of the media, regardless of whether any of it is anything other than the sheerest tissue of horse siht.

As for Chinese stocks, the ETF you want to look at for the Shanghai market is FXI. Great over several years, not so good recently.

I think Mr. Rogers is up there with Bill Gross of PIMCO: they both like to talk their book in front of the media, regardless of whether any of it is anything other than the sheerest tissue of horse siht.

As for Chinese stocks, the ETF you want to look at for the Shanghai market is FXI. Great over several years, not so good recently.

Still, they got more money than I do. Maybe they know something I don't?
Well , at least as it comes to investing, which our discussion here is limited to, yes?

Last edited:
Trust me when I tell you that British run megacorps ar just as bad as US megacorps when it comes to BS and red-tape, and they both shine like bright stars in comparison to their European counterparts. I have experienced this in bucket fulls over the last 30 years working in the US, UK and Belgium and listened to many friends and colleagues relating similar stories to this thread.

I trust you.

When at megacorps, we kept saying the only way we survived was because we competed with dinosaurs like ourselves. Well, until the little mammals start scurrying around...

When my company president got his own copier in his office, he wanted to cut copy expenses everywhere else. Copiers were modified to require a counter that would plug into it before it would work. Each department was issued a counter and an employee would have to get their counter before a copy could be made. Records for use were recorded weekly. This stupidity lasted about six months.

Just think, if this would have caught on, no more global warming Al.

I'll admit that I am not sure how I would value his opinions, had I known his recent move to Singapore. The guy is quite different than the common man in order to travel into places that had 99.9% chance of resulting in bodily harms. Recently, I saw an interview with him on youtube.

Maybe I'm misreading your post...are you saying that if you go to Singapore you're 99.9% likely to obtain bodily harm?

Maybe I'm misreading your post...are you saying that if you go to Singapore you're 99.9% likely to obtain bodily harm?

No. I am sorry my post was misleading :).

Jim Rogers went through Angola, and similar places that were rife with guerrillas, bandits, rogue soldiers, etc... The guy was NUTS !!!

The 1st time he toured the world (5 continents) with his girlfriend, each riding a BMW motorcycle. He claimed to be the only one traversing the vast Siberia, and not simply riding the TransSiberian Railroad. The roads, or trails that he took were not on the map. In fact, before the trip, his girlfriend looked at their maps and said "There's something wrong with this map. There's no road connecting the dots representing the cities or towns." He said "When we get there, we'll get better maps". They found out there were no better maps. There's no road! Hilarious!!!

In 2nd trek, he was older, so did it in a specially modified Mercedes. Its uniqueness was a great help, because as he wrote it, it dazzled the soldiers, border guards enough that they let him pass before realizing that they were supposed to rob him! Hilarious!!!

P.S. He chose a Mercedes SUV as the base for his vehicle for an utmost reason: In every corner of the world, no matter how poor, how desolate, you can always get parts for it. All tyrants, dictators drive Mercedes, and you will have no problem getting service. In fact, seeing his vehicle, they made friend and that got him passage!

Last edited:
thanks for clarifying Bound..I did not know this story. Sounds like he should have used Google Earth. :D

thanks for clarifying Bound..I did not know this story. Sounds like he should have used Google Earth. :D

I do not remember the time of his first trek on motorcycle, as recounted in "Investment Biker", but it was roughly in the late 80s, early 90s. There was no Internet then, as we know it today. That was when he crossed Siberia, a vast territory wider than the US.

He started his 2nd trek after celebrating the Millenium NewYear in Iceland, so the Internet already was popular then. This was told in his 2nd book, "Adventure Capitalist". I only learned after the facts, but he did have a blog site. Even if there were roads, he told stories of treacherous muddy stretches in tropical countries, sand traps in the Sahara. Fascinating.

I still maintain that the guy is NUTS. In person in interviews, he sounded pleasant and amicable. His wealth is not disclosed, but estimates range from centimillionaire to billionaire status. Remember that he cofounded Quantum Hedge Fund with the well-known George Soros. From his books, I had the impression that he is a frugal type, having grown up in a rural setting.

His later books on investing in China did not make as good a reading, perhaps simply because of the subject. Investing, or world travel, what's more interesting? The choice is obvious.

I was going to post in the thread about workplace dreams, but I couldn't believe that this BS thread died out so quickly. So here we go again.

Spouse just retired from the Navy Reserve. The homily "You will know when it's time to go" was ever so clear, perhaps even more than for me.

For the last couple years she's been in a billet called "Navy Emergency Preparedness Liaison Officer". She worked with ("among"?) FEMA, Hawaii Civil Defense, the Army, and the local Navy Region on emergency planning and disaster recovery. It's been an amazing [-]clusterflock[/-] example of interagency cooperation, especially when you add in the position-jockeying resources competition with the wild-eyed hard-partyin' happy-go-lucky staff of Joint Task Force Homeland Defense.

Her reporting senior was the Navy Region admiral. She never actually met him; he just signed her FITREP. The local guy she nominally reported to was a GS-13 on the Navy Region staff who didn't really know what she did or how he was involved, but at least he went to one of the exercises and tried to learn the vocabulary. The guy who manages the NEPLO program works out of the Navy Reserve HQ in New Orleans, although now they're moving to Memphis TN. This is why NEPLO is called "independent duty".

You would think that her administrative records would have been maintained at one of those places, but no. You might think that they'd be maintained at the local Navy Reserve center, a mile away from the NR admiral, but you'd be wrong again. (You military veterans are nodding your heads and going "Yup, someplace else that she never goes to where they've never heard of her.") Because her billet belongs to a Navy Reserve HQ program, it was administered by the Navy Reserve Readiness Command (multiply oxymoronic) Southwest in San Diego.

When she started her billet, the Honolulu Reserve Center mailed all her records to REDCOMSW without consulting her. REDCOMSW complained that she was missing musters. When she pointed out that she'd be drilling in Hawaii (still doing her physical readiness tests and physical exams here), REDCOMSW grumpily mailed them back. This started a sort of bureaucratic pingpong volley where every six months or so an eager young staffer at one of the offices would "discover" that her records didn't belong there and would promptly mail them to the "correct" place, cover letter info her. Keep in mind that this is happening while she's required to attend quarterly training on the transition to online records, which somehow never executed during her seven years in the Reserves. Maybe they were too busy mailing paper back & forth.

The pingpong game is over now. Her retirement became official on 1 December and she received her retirement orders along with a very nice certificate. She was still missing one piece of business, though. Administrative commands clean out retiree records and send them to the storage facility in St. Louis, while mailing the "extra" papers to the retiree's address for their home files. This isn't a time-critical task, though, so she wasn't concerned that REDCOMSW was two weeks behind her orders.

The papers arrived in today's mail. They were sent via "priority" mail a week ago from San Diego, which coincidentally is the same time it takes you to sail to Honolulu on a 15-knot great-circle track. The USPS charged us taxpayers $4.80 and the envelope was blazoned with stickers advising "Save more $$ by shipping online!!"

In the final act of the command that's been pestering her for so many years to keep her records updated, the envelope was addressed to a misspelled street and the wrong ZIP code.

Go Navy, baby.

Nords, you aren't making me feel ever so safe!

:::submarine? Ok, where did we put that extra submarine.... I had it right here this morning... :::

ta,
mews

Back
Top Bottom