Join Early Retirement Today

World Debt increase
Old 01-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

World Debt increase

Interesting overview.

Quote:
The world's total debt surged by some $9 trillion in the first three quarters of 2019, according to data from the Institute of International Finance, bringing the world's total debt load to $253 trillion, or 322% of its GDP — a record high.
https://www.axios.com/newsletters/ax...21914db99.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
Administrator

I am uncertain how to think of this. It seems to me that the world is a closed system. Accordingly, for every debt, there is an offsetting credit somewhere.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At what point does the debtor go bankrupt, and the creditor loses his money?

That's the $100 trillion dollar question.

PS. Can I avoid being the creditor?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

No problem, just do a reverse split. A trillion is now a more manageable thousand. Of course, your IRA is now worth $0.32...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I am uncertain how to think of this. It seems to me that the world is a closed system. Accordingly, for every debt, there is an offsetting credit somewhere.
Was thinking the same thing. Who does the world (earth) owe this money to?

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Was thinking the same thing. Who does the world (earth) owe this money to?
I think it works out as owed to the people of the future.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
So the people from the present will owe money to people from the future? Do I get in my DeLorean, accelerate to 88 MPH, pay someone in the future and then return? Or if I stay in the future someone from the present will somehow pay me? Do we put $ in a trust fund now so future generations can have it? I paid my daughter in 1996 when she was 1 yr old. It has grown and she now has just shy of 50K in that account. She is grateful.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I think it works out that it is owed BY the people of the future. I guess they owe it to others in the future, so the circular reference continues.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #9

Kinda crazy considering we paid off a bunch of debt in 2019. I guess everyone else is racking it up while we pay ours off ?
Old 01-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #10

I'm not looking forward to being thrown into Galactic Debtor's Prison with 7.7 billion of my closest friends.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #11
Administrator

A discussion about debt without mentioning assets is like being shocked at the amount of mortgage value but ignoring the value of the house. It’s an incomplete picture.

Credit-Suisse publishes a yearly report on global wealth, and it is data rich, a wonderful source to look at numbers and trends. https://www.credit-suisse.com/about-...th-report.html

They estimate global wealth to be US$ 361T.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #12

It is owed by us in the future. Not by some unknown number of future generations. Well, maybe one generation out on 30 year bonds. So just you, your kids, and maybe your grand kids.
I just bought some 5 year Treasuries. In 5 years part of my tax money will be used to redeem those bonds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I think it works out that it is owed BY the people of the future. I guess they owe it to others in the future, so the circular reference continues.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Its all fake. Money is printed from thin air. It has no backing. Its an arbitrary number. Actually, its a talking point to push an agenda by politicians. The US isnt paying someone or anyone back. Why would we. Just call up the fed reserve and print more money. Wake up. Some people need to pull the curtain back and do some real research.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #14

It's not so much the debt you see today, it's the interest we pay on the debt today that impacts us. The interest payments are the fastest growing category of the US budget. As they grow, they begin to squeeze out other spending categories.

The old economics decision was between butter and guns. Now it's butter or guns with what's left over after the interest payment on the national debt.
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send all your worthless money to me...

Old 01-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm not looking forward to being thrown into Galactic Debtor's Prison with 7.7 billion of my closest friends.

Come to think of it, it is likely there are more debtors than creditors. When push comes to shove, who is going to win?

I am going with the majority. It's always the safest place to be.

Now, how do I borrow money? Oh, it's already done on my behalf. All right!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:31 PM   #17

$9 tril here, $9 tril there....pretty soon we'll be talking about real money.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:32 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

According to modern monetary theory it all works out - until it doesn't.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:10 AM   #19

The money is owed to other people in the present, to be paid in the future. If too many people default, then the creditors don't have any more money to loan. No one can borrow any more, the world freaks out. There is wringing of hands, gnashing of teeth, the stock market crashes. Then the government prints more and bails out the creditors, so that they can go back to loaning money. Cautiously at first, then more freely. The stock market recovers. 2008-2009. Again.

I'm no economist, so what do I know?
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
According to modern monetary theory it all works out - until it doesn't.

Funny, though, for all the naysayers, we still seem to be doing it. We ‘re just calling it something else.