Join Early Retirement Today

World Economy - Anyone worried?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

World Economy - Anyone worried?

Not trying to time the market but I have recently started my investment in diversified ETF's in Canada. Time frame is still long term, say 10-15 yrs

But all this Canada and world economy situation is making me nervous? Anyone else in my shoes here? What are your thoughts?

retireby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket" applies to countries/currencies too.
Diversify enough to have insurance if the music stops, but don't bet it all in case QE5 extends the game a little longer.

Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
"Don't put all your eggs in one basket" applies to countries/currencies too.
Diversify enough to have insurance if the music stops, but don't bet it all in case QE5 extends the game a little longer.
Thanks Spock. My investment are currently diversified as below
80% equities (44.2% International Equities, 19.7% Canadian Equities, 17.8% US equities)
rest debt.

Timeframe is still > 10 yrs so will wait few years to change my allocations again
Your horizon is 10-15 years? Don't worry, be happy.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your horizon is 10-15 years? Don't worry, be happy.

Said Tommy Lee Jones to Will Smith in Men in Black: "There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or Corellian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that's about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet."

And yet humanity chugs along anyway.

World economy turbulent? Squabbling over tariffs? Yield curve inversions?
Meh. We've survived worse.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

No use worrying , you can't do a thing about it .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Said Tommy Lee Jones to Will Smith in Men in Black: "There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or Corellian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that's about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet."

+1 What could possibly go wrong !
Old 05-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not worried.
I posted the following on another thread yesterday:

"...Maybe I'm just getting old, but over my lifetime I've been warned about Communists, nuclear war, over population, running out of oil, running out of food, nuclear power plants, global cooling, global warming, acid rain, the Japanese buying up all of the US, the Saudis buying up all the US, Y2K and global financial collapse among just a few "end of the world as we know it" apocalypses. (oh! and the end of SS)

Still waiting. I just can't get worked up about this stuff anymore.

I'm living the same life, doing the same things and going to the same places that I have for my entire 67 years. Not much has changed in my day-to-day as far as I can see..."

Heard a sermon many years ago where the priest said: "Life is way too short. You only should have time for the very best that's out there; don't waste your time on the crap."
Old 05-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Not worried.

"...Maybe I'm just getting old, but over my lifetime I've been warned about Communists, nuclear war, over population, running out of oil, running out of food, nuclear power plants, global cooling, global warming, acid rain, the Japanese buying up all of the US, the Saudis buying up all the US, Y2K and global financial collapse among just a few "end of the world as we know it" apocalypses. (oh! and the end of SS)

I'm living the same life, doing the same things and going to the same places that I have for my entire 67 years. Not much has changed in my day-to-day as far as I can see..."

Heard a sermon many years ago where the priest said: "Life is way too short. You only should have time for the very best that's out there; don't waste your time on the crap."

Very well said Marko. Btw, like your signature :-)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post

Makes sense. All we can do is invest wisely. rest we'll see
Old 05-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don't do ad hoc investing.

Recessions have historically been preceded by a yield curve inversion which is now pretty firmly in place in the US. Several other developed countries now have inverted yield curves. This doesn't mean we will have a recession next month but we could in the coming months. More bad signs would be a further drop in the SP500 and/or unemployment ticking up.

FWIW, I'm near selling but not there yet. If I do it won't be on worries but data.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:01 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I don't do ad hoc investing.

Recessions have historically been preceded by a yield curve inversion which is now pretty firmly in place in the US. Several other developed countries now have inverted yield curves. This doesn't mean we will have a recession next month but we could in the coming months. More bad signs would be a further drop in the SP500 and/or unemployment ticking up.

FWIW, I'm near selling but not there yet. If I do it won't be on worries but data.
Its good you analyze and understand this behavior to some extent. For people like me, its little to assume that long term plan is keep investing and change my allocations as I get closer to retirement age.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Worry has no return.

Out of my scope of control. Pass the beer nuts.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, it's going down. Comes up sometimes, too. Almost time to do the monthly numbers. Only reaction will be to time a little in next Roth contribution. Instead of REIT, maybe add to Int'l Value. Have to wait for the total evaluation, then I'll time...
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:

Pretty much my outlook too. Well said.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:38 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

And to think when I was real young I read Mad Magazine.

heh heh heh - Target Retirement since 2006. I sometimes miss all my whining, worrying, watching, reading, and deep thinking. And misty memory of the coffee and pastries at the old New Orleans chapter of AAII.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:40 PM   #16

Quote:
...over my lifetime I've been warned about Communists, nuclear war, over population, running out of oil, running out of food, nuclear power plants, global cooling, global warming, acid rain, the Japanese buying up all of the US, the Saudis buying up all the US, Y2K and global financial collapse among just a few "end of the world as we know it" apocalypses. (oh! and the end of SS)

Well let's see:
  • Communism was mostly defeated (at least in the USSR)
  • Nuclear war - not yet, but the threat is still here
  • Over population - I've seen the earth's population more than double in my lifetime, and am shocked at the southern CA growth...it's real, and it's affecting the earth.
  • Running out of oil - the discovery of fracking seems to have temporarily staved off this one!
  • Running out of food - industrialized farming and chemistry seem to have solved this one.
  • Nucelar power plants: Fukushima, Chernobyl, 3-Mile Island...there have been major disasters. Glad you didn't live next to any of these.
  • Global cooling. Not sure this was a concern since the last ice age.
  • Global warming. Still an ongoing concern...glaciers mostly melting, sea level is still rising, and world climates are changing. In Hawaii, we get fewer trade wind days and less rain than 30 years ago.
  • Japanese real estate investors - their 20+ year recession has taken a bite out of their appetite for investment...but the Chinese have taken over!
  • Y2K...not a really big problem, but proactive measures solved this before it could be a problem.
  • Acid rain....not sure about this one.
  • Global financial collapse. Not really sure this is a concern until WWIII.
  • End of SS? I'm sure they'll cut benefits in some manner, but we'll have to wait till 2035 to find out, most likely!

All of that said, we, as individuals, have little power to change/influence any of these. I find that I'm happiest when I'm on vacation, in a remote part of the world, with no news coverage, and no internet....no worries!
Old 05-31-2019, 04:45 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Not worried.

An appropriate time for this

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Very good summary HNL_Bill!

(Pssssst - But you forgot the inevitable asteroid.)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
[*]Over population - I've seen the earth's population more than double in my lifetime, and am shocked at the southern CA growth...it's real, and it's affecting the earth...
Our families certainly have not contributed to this.

I have a total of 1 grand niece. She is the only one of her generation, the offspring of a total of 21 of our children, nephews and nieces from both my and my wife's side, and their spouses. And I only count the ones who are 30 and up to 50 who are about past prime child bearing age. There are some younger ones who likely will not have children, same as their older siblings.

21 down to 1! Soon, there will not be enough workers to do anything. Oh wait! Perhaps we can get some Californians to move here.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:05 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Well let's see:

[*]Running out of oil - the discovery of fracking seems to have temporarily staved off this one!
Not fraccing discovery (been doing this for 100+ years here), but add horizontal drilling and the ability to drill into formations and produce from 3X greater depths.

Great list!