World Wealth Report or 8.7 Million High-Net-Worth Individuals Worldwide

Spacebär

Confused about dryer sheets
I may have missed it but I didn't see this mentioned.

"The wealth of high-net-worth individuals (HNWIs), people with net financial assets of at least U.S. $1 million, excluding their primary residence and consumables, climbed to U.S. $33.3 trillion in 2005, an 8.5 percent increase over 2004, according to the 10th Anniversary Edition of the World Wealth Report ("The Report"), which was released today by Merrill Lynch (NYSE: MER) and Capgemini. The Report found that the number of HNWIs grew by 6.5 percent over 2004, to 8.7 million, and that the number of Ultra-HNWIs — those who have financial assets of more than U.S. $30 million — grew by 10.2 percent, to 85,400 in 2005."
http://www.ml.com/index.asp?id=7695_7696_8149_63464_67074_67212

excluding their primary residence and consumables

What, now we can't include our stash of Twinkies in our net worth?

Hi Al!

Long time no see (your posts).

Good to see you posting again. :)

The report has some interesting information (I don't know how accurate any of it is of course).

from page 5 High Net Worth Individual Population by Region identifies where the 8.7 million are:
0.7 million, 8%, are in Africa/Middle East/Latin America;
2.4 million, 28%, are in Asia-Pacific
2.9 million, 33%, are in North America
2.8 million, 32%, are in Europe
(the %s are rounded)

from page 19, Where does the Wealth Come From? attempts to identify the sources from which millionaires become wealthy:
2% other
9% restricted stock/stock options
10% investment performance
18% inheritance
24% income
37% business ownership/sale of business

The most interesting part of the article is that investing in non-U.S. and emerging markets may improve return.

Back
Top Bottom