Join Early Retirement Today

World's 2nd richest man recommends working longer
Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

World's 2nd richest man recommends working longer

World's 2nd richest man recommends working less for a decade longer, limiting their work week to 3 long days. I think I prefer the work while you're young and get out as soon as possible.

Working less for longer « Bankrate, Inc.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Think of the expenses you have while working. Most of these expenses will need to be met if you are working 5 days a week or 3 days a week. You still need work clothes, work vehicle, and the need to live somewhat close to your job.

For efficiency it makes sense to work 5 days a week for a shorter time. The additional work related expenses for the 2 extra days are negligible.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
World's 2nd richest man recommends working less for a decade longer, limiting their work week to 3 long days. I think I prefer the work while you're young and get out as soon as possible.

If everyone worked an office job then MAYBE they could work until 70-75 and work 11 hour days as he recommends. But very few laborers could work to that age. My dad had to retire at 64 for health reasons. He had to give up golf and can barely walk around the block. He's not worse off than many other his age. Expecting everyone to work into their 70's is unrealistic.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If everyone worked an office job then MAYBE they could work until 70-75 and work 11 hour days as he recommends. But very few laborers could work to that age. My dad had to retire at 64 for health reasons. He had to give up golf and can barely walk around the block. He's not worse off than many other his age. Expecting everyone to work into their 70's is unrealistic.
I think even an office job can take its toll on you. Carpal tunnel, strain from sitting too long, getting fat and lazy, turning into Jabba the Hut in front of the computer screen. Not to mention the hell the flicker of the fluorescent lights and computer screen plays on your eyes.

When I was younger, I had no trouble pulling down a 40+ hour per week full time job, and then doing a 25-30, sometimes even 40 hours in the evenings jockeying pizzas around. But, I was in my 20's then, and gave up pizza delivery for good when I was 31. Now, at the ripe old age of 44, I get pretty tired of my office job in the early afternoon, and by around 3 pm, my eyesight is starting to strain.

But yeah, most of those manual labor type jobs are even worse! They tend to wear people out and then throw them away once they're deemed no more useful. You don't see too many old people working at construction sites, for example, unless it's the guy directing traffic, flipping the sign between "Stop" and "Slow"
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I think even an office job can take its toll on you. Carpal tunnel, strain from sitting too long, getting fat and lazy, turning into Jabba the Hut in front of the computer screen. Not to mention the hell the flicker of the fluorescent lights and computer screen plays on your eyes.
That can give you a 'brain cloud', right?

[remember Joe and the Volcano and the office scene?...or wait...that's where I work...]
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

I prefer working 3 days a week AND retire early.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #7

Never saw Joe versus the Volcano, but have heard of it. Just looked it up...good lord, 1990?! It was THAT long ago?

And yeah, 3 days a week AND retiring early sounds like a great plan to me!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #8

Most megacorps want you "full time". I would have lept at the chance to work less, but still work. But I didn't want 3 days a week, I wanted 5 days a week and 100 days of vacation! In fact, I asked for that, but got an expected "no can do", so I quit.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

A few companies had gone to a 4 day, 10 hour work week. The employees wanted to go back to 5 days 8 hours because they were spending too much money on their 'long weekends'.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
A few companies had gone to a 4 day, 10 hour work week. The employees wanted to go back to 5 days 8 hours because they were spending too much money on their 'long weekends'.
LOL if that is the case. There got to be other reasons, like 10 hours being just too long. Including commute and occasional OT, a work day can easily end up being 12 - 14 hours. I prefer French week work hours . Isn't it like 36 hours or even less?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
Administrator

From the article it sounds like Mr. Slim's suggestion to work few but longer days and retire later in life is motivated by his desire to limit retirement costs.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #12

Cheap Laborite.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I prefer French week work hours . Isn't it like 36 hours or even less?
Lived in France for several years. It's a 35 hour work week but at my company they worked 40+ hours.

They way they did it was to bank their extra 5-6 hours per and then end up taking a 4-5 day long weekend ever other week or so.

Of course, they would always couple that up to some holiday (seems there was one every other week and they had it planned out to a "T") so the effect was that they'd work a 40 hour week and then have 2-3 3 day weeks.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I've tried doing 3 day weekends on occasion, and one thing I notice is that it messes with my sense of time. I swear, it felt like the 3-day weekend went by just as quickly as the 2-day weekend, but then the work week went by quicker, so it felt like time was speeding up!

But then there have been a few times where I'd try for a 4-day weekend, such as taking an extra day off during an already long holiday weekend. That would seem to break up the routine pretty nicely, and it actually FELT like a long weekend.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Think of the expenses you have while working. Most of these expenses will need to be met if you are working 5 days a week or 3 days a week. You still need work clothes, work vehicle, and the need to live somewhat close to your job.

For efficiency it makes sense to work 5 days a week for a shorter time. The additional work related expenses for the 2 extra days are negligible.
I think job expenses are overstated. Fewer people wear expensive suits these days, and your wardrobe will last longer if you wear it 3 days a week instead of 5. I always needed/wanted a vehicle whether working or not. I'm sure there are some couples who get along with one car in retirement but I'm guessing more keep one per driver. Your point about home location is a good one if you work somewhere expensive like Silicon Valley and move in retirement.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

My biggest personal pet peeve, guys who do not do labor type jobs suggesting everyone should work longer. I come from blue collar guys, my grandma installed HVAC, other grandpa was a butcher, etc. They were BROKEN by 65, bad knees, backs, etc.. They could not work any longer and were not going to be able to find a "desk job".
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #17

DW did four 10 hour days for most of her working years. She really liked it with a weekday off to schedule appointments and spend with the kids. Usually a Wednesday off, so never more than two days of work in a row.

She went part time last year, two 10 hour days. That was OK, but she found that working part time took her out of the loop a little too much. She was used to being a central figure and missed being a stronger influence. Now she gets to watch people screw up. However, only 1 or 2 days to go in August and she's out of there. Much more open to retirement after part-time and having her boss leave.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
My biggest personal pet peeve, guys who do not do labor type jobs suggesting everyone should work longer.
I don't know. Sounds dangerously close to "class envy".
Old 07-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I don't know. Sounds dangerously close to "class envy".
I think "Work longer" is a dangerous strategy to rely on, no matter what type of work you do. People who do a lot of hard, manual labor tend to get "used up", for lack of a better word, and can't do that type of work later in life. But even in cushy white collar jobs, your health can fail, you can get downsized out of a job, and so on. And there's no guarantee that someone is going to want to hire you as you get older.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #20

Quote:
But even in cushy white collar jobs, your health can fail, you can get downsized out of a job, and so on. And there's no guarantee that someone is going to want to hire you as you get older.
That is exactly the conclusion I came to early in life. Real freedom is in not having to depend on people or events to survive. Especially in the short, run as in today, this week, this month. In the long run we're all dead.