Join Early Retirement Today
Would someone here sacrafice their self to save us?
Old 10-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Would someone here sacrafice their self to save us?

I would like to hear one person here say they have reached the point of capitulation and selling something. I believe that would be akin to throwing a virgin an a volcano. If someone would do what we think is wrong and admit it openly I think you could turn this market around singlehandedly. Alright who volunteers?

shotgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
Sorry, but DW and I can't help. Another check to Vanguard is going out in today's mail.

IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Im a virgin I might do it for the right price.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
I've reached the point of capitulation. I will be selling two Viking Sapphire 830 sewing machines on Craigs List.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
Just added money to our Vanguard TSM yesterday two minutes before closing. We like the fire-sale prices. Sorry, you'll have to look for another volunteer.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
I sold for tax loss harvesting purposes, but turned around and bought another stock fund within a few minutes.
Retire date sometime in 2017
ikubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
I just sold bonds and bought TSM.
limpid lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm ready to do a Roth conversion will that help?
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
I wonder if this decline will lead to a surge in Roth conversions? Never a better time to do a conversion than while the portfolio's way down...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
Portfolio is down over $100k. Not selling, so its on paper only. I think that I'm holding off funneling any money into any of my funds except Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) for now.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
i might sell someone a good line of BS if the mood hits me...
but other than that, nope, sorry. no selling happening at this address.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
I have been selling my portfolio since late last year and got rid of the last of it this week. We are talking about individual holdings in our WF brokerage account. We have still got our 401k's, Vanguard mutual funds and some DRIP stocks.

However, what works for me probably has nothing to do with everyone else's personal situation. Along with the falling market, we had a rapidly declining Australian dollar. Since July it has fallen from 98 cents AUD to $1US to below 70c this week. We took this opportunity to sell what we had left, change to Australian dollars and send the proceeds home where we have it invested in cash and receiving 6-7% interest. This works for us because we are Australian and will be returning home to live eventually.

I feel it was a good move on our behalf and we had been thinking about doing this for sometime, and in lots of ways we were grateful for this weeks actions to force us to do something that has been playing at the back of our minds for some time.

Personally I couldn't care less if the other 2,000+ members of this board think this is a foolish move on our behalf. We are the only ones that have to live with out decision and we believe it is the right one for us. Before this week we were 45/55 cash/stock which by many standards on this board is conservative, but once again when you able to get 8% on your cash holdings why risk it in the market or bonds?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
I did my ROTH conversion before that last 2000 drop. I put all the stocks in a ST bond fund. This may turn out to be a good thing or a bad one. I did a lot of tax loss harvesting so I'll have a substantial tax deduction. Maybe it was ok.
Oldbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I have reached the point of capitulation on the pay-off-the-mortgage issue. I have cash set aside to pay off the weekend house mortgage when DW pulls the plug next year (primary residence is paid off). I like the idea of lower monthly expenses to fund. But now I figure I will maintain the mortgage so I can stretch my cash bucket farther to let the market rebound. If the market never rebounds I will sell the sucker.

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote