Would you buy a new car with repaired hail damage?

After learning more about this, I'm less interested in buying a car that has had substantial PDR (painless dent removal) done on it due to hail. I watched a youtube video of what it takes to work out one dent and it involves quite a bit of flexing and working the sheet metal. Now if you imagine doing that 20 or 30 times to one piece of metal (e.g. 20 or 30 dings on a hood) it can't be good for the longevity of the metal or paint, and I feel like it might stress the attachment points as well, leading to rattles down the road. And there are some reports that the less skilled PDR guys will drill holes in inconspicuous places to get access to some parts of the car. I wouldn't have an issue with PDR'ing a couple of dents but the cars I saw had way more damage than that.

Now the challenge is getting an honest answer from the dealer about whether the car had any PDR work done on it. I've already gotten one response that the particular car I was interested in "was at another lot so it didn't have any damage." As the saying goes, a car salesman would rather climb a tree to tell a lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth...

Back
Top Bottom