Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would you FIRE if you had Group Health Ins offered to you today?
Yes 56 80.00%
No 14 20.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I listen carefully to all the presidential candidates' plans for universal health care and I wonder if the "idiots" (I think it a fair term to describe all polititians from either or both parties)
If you think about it, the "idiots" are us.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
If you think about it, the "idiots" are us.
How true. They are falling all over themselves to find the lowest common denominator needed to get elected. All they have to do is sway the most voters by pandering to our fears and greed.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:55 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
How true. They are falling all over themselves to find the lowest common denominator needed to get elected.

Its not that big of an effort. Last poll I saw, which was only about a year or so ago, said that more than a third of americans still thought that Saddam Hussein masterminded 9/11 and that we did in fact find WMD's in Iraq.

Yell "BOO!" really loud and you probably get a 50% margin of really clueless people and the easily frightened.

I'm surprised this hasnt happened already...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I would retrie in a heart beat.

But as it stands now, I am waiting another 5 years until 55. At that age, I can get employer-subsidized HI, which I currently estimate will cost us about $6000+/yr. In 2 years, DH can retire and get HI through his employer, but we have to pay the full amount, which would be about $13,000-$15,000.

So we have decided sticking it out to 55 makes sense. That and we have a daughter who is still in college (and diabetic). Until she is graduated and gainfully employed with her own HI, I can't see us retiring. That will be at least 2-4 more years.

Oh well...I am treating myself to 1 nice vacation every year as a reward for good behavior :-) Never took many when we were younger.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

This is a major reason why I will be retiring at 55 in just under 3 months. I'll be able to stay with our group health insurance plan until I'm 65, and my premiums will be just under $550 a month...well, at least until they go up again.<g> My husband, who retired last year from the same employer under an early retirement incentive, pays only half of this premium each month (that was the incentive).

We have two single policies since we don't have kids.

Sheboyganite
Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I didn't vote because I still have 14 years to FIRE. But, I will say that I am going to FIRE knowing that I will be LOSING my health benefits by jumping early. I'm saving extra to cover the cost...
Old 06-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired a year ago at age 55. This ER was only made possible because my employer pays most of the cost of health insurance for DW and me until I turn 65. We currently contribute $372 per month. If this ever comes to an end, one or both of us would have to go back to work.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Health insurance costs certainly pushed out my ER date since I will have to pick up the full amount myself. The hard part is knowing what that cost will be. If that cost went away tomorrow, I'd retire yesterday!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm nowhere near FIRE, but health insurance is one of my biggest worries.

According to the websites that I've read, I can't be turned down in NY, or charged money, because of some kind of anti-discrimation laws. So, that is nice. But still, it looks like it's going to be a TON of money to pay for myself.

I haven't fully looked into all the details, because it's so far ahead for me. It is a feverent wish of mine that, by the time it because important, our health care system will be in a better place.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Does the Lion walk around all day in fear of health insurance?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:51 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
Does the Lion walk around all day in fear of health insurance?

No, but the older Lion does walk around in fear of being eaten by the other lions and or cast out! :confused:
Old 06-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The lion also doesnt have a couple of mil in a vanguard account that he needs to live off of for the next 50 years.

Dont get me wrong...if I could take down zebras in my front yard I'd be a lot less concerned.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
DW went to work for 5 years after 27 years of raising our family at the local school dist. as a sec.
The policy is that if you work for a minimum of 5 year you can keep the family plan for life and only pay 10%.
So we are paying about 1500 for the year which made ER very possible.

No wonder school taxes are what they are.
True dat.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote