Would you get back into VGELX?

Looking4Ward

Full time employment: Posting here.
So last month I decided to do a little tax loss harvesting to offset dividends and capital gains this year.

I did so by selling Vanguard Energy (VGELX). I added the proceeds to my position in Vanguard Health Care (VGHAX). I've already incurred a bit of a capital gain in the short time the proceeds have been in VGHAX.

Energy was a fund that I considered a long-term holding (>10 years) and only sold it to take advantage of the circumstances - I had planned on a true tax harvesting process in which I got out and got back in just to realize the tax benefits of the loss. It's been more than 30 days, I sold VGELX at 89.84, it closed yesterday at 79.79 and will no doubt be lower today. But part of me is screaming "don't do it".

Would you get back in?

Last edited:
I hold a lot of VGELX....unfortunately.

I am holding my position because I do not need to sell.

FWIW, Cramer says oil stocks are a multi-year short. I don't necessarily follow him, but I know he knows more than me. But, in the end, who knows. There are a lot of reasons to sell it: strengthening dollar, huge reserves, etc. OTOH, many sectors are cyclical. So I would not be surprised to see a bounce-back, but I do not expect it any time soon.

BTW, another article today said banks are betting on the oil sector bouncing back:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/no-fear-banks-bet-energy-103000000.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom