Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've always said, "what's mine is mine and what's his is mine. Of course I would share with my husband. We've been "sharing" over 30 years and after all this time, I should trust him...and I do.

If I were not married, I suppose my SO would enjoy the benefits of the windfall, but the money would be in my control.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2007, 04:06 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
After reading the wife inherited $600,000 thread I started to wonder .If you inherited a substantial amount would you share it with your partner or SO ? And how much would you be willing to share ?
Spouse and I share everything.

I kept a separate brokerage account when I inherited a small "brilliant investor" stake from my grandfather. But that was mainly for my own protection-- I was going to work on shorting & options and I didn't want to be doing that in the ER portfolio. When I got tired of it and realized that I'd have to keep track of its investments, too, I dumped it into our ER account.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Both my wife and I have children from previous marriages. Most likely we will both recieve inheritances from each of our families. As one previous poster said, we would share the benefits of the improved lifestyle that it would bring us, but regarding the principal amount of "family money" we primarily consider ourselves caretakers for the next generation. On the other hand our retirement savings are to provide security for our lifetimes and would be treated accordingly. What ever remains after we are both gone would go to our respective offspring.

Milkman
Old 12-31-2007, 04:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
If you are married it all goes in the same pot. If you think that would cause a problem now or down the road, then maybe you should not stay married.
My sentiments exactly. It's called "sharing".
Old 12-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Easy choice for me. We're married, we share everything.

Question for those of you that would not share. What if the shoe was on the other foot? If your spouse inherited that kind of money, would you expect them to share? Be honest with yourself...
Old 12-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post

What if the shoe was on the other foot? If your spouse inherited that kind of money, would you expect them to share? Be honest with yourself...

If my So inherited a lot I would expect him to make our life easier so he should expect the same from me .As long as it is a commited long term relationship .If it was just a short term thing ,nothing should be expected .
Old 12-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Until the question was asked of the OP, I wouldn't have even considered NOT sharing. Married 25 years, we share everything.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm expecting to receive a somewhat substantial inheritance and, like the original poster expressed, will spend it on an upgraded lifestyle with my wife. But the money will stay in my name alone. If my wife should come to her senses and leave me , my grandmother would roll over in her grave if my wife, someone my grandmother never met, would take off with half of the money that my grandmother made with blood, sweat and tears (my grandmother lived through the Great Depression).

I've discussed this with my wife and happily learned that she completely understands.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

So all the married people will share . How about some of our single posters ? What would you do ?
Old 12-31-2007, 07:18 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Been there, done that, yes.

(edit) I am married for 20 years.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #31

Yes - share it.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:44 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Share of course. It make no sense for one person to keep it.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:08 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

After 29 years we aren't married - but i betcha our relationship has outlasted most. Inheritances I've recieved have been plugged into our jointly owned rental properties, but if my gal chooses to segregate her inheritance that's ok with me and i'd understand it. Doubt that would happen though. That's the good thing about being with the same person long enough -
Old 12-31-2007, 08:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
So all the married people will share . How about some of our single posters ? What would you do ?
When I thought I was happily married, I would have shared it, no questions asked, just dropped it into the financial pile.

When I found out she was divorcing me, I would have not shared a penny and taken advantage of my state's laws which say that inheritances are separate property as long as they are not commingled.

At the moment I am completely single so I have nobody to share it with. I would finish funding my kids' college and my retirement, though.

If I had a significant other, I wouldn't share it with her until we were married.

I wouldn't remarry unless I felt I could trust her with sharing inheritances.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:32 PM   #35

When I thought I was happily married, I would have shared it, no questions asked. Later when I was divorced I would have regretted it. Now that I am considering a second marriage, I would probably want some kind of protection in case of future divorce and to protect kids. I'm sure I'm trustworthy and understand committment, but I'm finding it very hard to trust someone else won't change for the worse or fall under some bad influence, no matter how well I think I know them.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't anticipate the problem of an inheritance coming up, but if DH or I get one, we'd probably keep it separate as we do most of our investments. Eventually if we live long enough, he or I may need help from the other, and I'd like to think there will be no question at that time, but we hope to keep our money separate as long as possible.
Having barely survived my parent's disaster of a marriage where money was a constant high-decibel argument, I think merging funds is just asking for trouble.
But I guess it works for some people.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:09 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I am single there is noone to share with...I would give to the church and charity, but would also travel and spoil myself a little...but that is no different than what I do with money currently.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Many answers to the question as it is a very broad one....

If you have been married a long time and no potential divorce, share

If you have just gotten married, keep separate but use it to make the family life better.. but eventually it would be mixed in the joint accounts..

If you are living with someone... the above except no mixing...

If you have a SO that you do not live with... no sharing except that you might pay for more of the 'stuff'... as someone said, better vacation etc... this however would probably lead to a breakup as the other person would probably feel 'entitled' to the money...
Old 01-01-2008, 04:11 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't share money with my guy at all. After 21 years together we have no joint accounts or joint assets and never will. He inherited from an uncle and didn't even tell me how much, it was like he was afraid if I knew he had money I would want some. His mom died last year she owned a small single wide mobile home and a car. He has two half siblings and his mom had adopted a half sister's son. The other kids asked him to give up his share and he said yes but then didn't sign the lawyer papers after considering he didn't like the half siblings so didn't want give them anything.I did ask once if the estate was settled and he said yes, I don't know if he got any money but won't ask and wouldn't expect anything.
When my 81 year old mother goes in 15-20 years I will get 1/3 of an estate worth currently 400K, I don't intend to share it.
My money provides the house and my personal things, he pays me rent and for his personal things so if I have more money we will live in a better house. I will give him a life tenancy in the house when I die but then back to my family. I will also leave him cash worth enough to make sure he doesn't suffer but he will have 3 pensions and SS so a house to live in should be plenty.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I would share equally with DW but we have been married for long time and have jointly built up our estate. If she died and I remarried I would keep all of my assets separate so that I could pass the estate to our kids. A new wife could have my survivor annuity, but not the rest. AT this point I believe that would apply to the house as well - maybe a trust so the new spouse could live in it until death. I would expect the same from a new spouse if she had money.