Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would you take a lump sum buy out instead of monthly Social Security?
Yes 20 21.98%
No 71 78.02%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Yes the survivor benefits make SS attractive, but if the lump sum took COLA and survivor benefit into consideration making it even larger would you take the lump sum?

I asked a related question a while back where I asked at what IRR people would buy an annuity. Very few people would buy one even with IRRs above 8%. So it looks like people won't buy fixed income streams with lump sums, but also like to keep a fixed income stream when they already have one.

I would take the lump sum if they took into account both me and wife... which includes spouse and survivor benefits.... the calculators show she will get more money than I will.... and with interest rates low that means a bigger lump sum... OH, and it needs to take into account COL increases... but yea, if it took into account all that I would take the lump sum...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
Since your taxes were used to pay old people's benefits, we'd have to go back and get those people or their heirs to repay their benefits.

Of course, if some of those old people happen to be your parents or grandparents, maybe the "heirs" part above would make it a wash for you.
people take pensions in lump sums

old pensioners do not pay for that
hurricane harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post

For quite a while DW's pension plan was considered underfunded and was not allowed to offer lump sums. It would be possible to totally drain a pension fund if everyone wanted a lump sum. Those remaining in the plan would be screwed.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, I would take the lump sum. I know what we paid in our ss balance. I would rather be in control of my money than our government. Remember SS is suppose to go bankrupt in the near future or only pay out 2/3rds of what they should. Just my 2 cents.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I do not just want interest.... I want a balanced portfolio return!!!
Would you like Wellesley's or Wellington's return, sir? I would take pure S&P 500, thank you.

Oh yeah, one can dream.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #46
gone traveling

Not for me. When I retired from mega-corp, I took my pension as a lump sum instead of an annuity payout, and don't really need to increase that amount further.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPOUT View Post
Yes ~ Because I don't think I'll end up seeing it 35+ years from now
I thought the same thing 35 years ago.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:27 AM   #48

Quote:

In most cases, private pensions are advance funded. The pension plan simply sells stocks and bonds to raise the money for the lump sums.

SS is paygo.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

If they pay back the full contribution (from employee AND employer) along with a compounded 8% interest for the past 26 years, then yeah, maybe would take the lump sum.

I don't see them handing out million dollar checks like this though.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
In most cases, private pensions are advance funded. The pension plan simply sells stocks and bonds to raise the money for the lump sums.

SS is paygo.
so you think pensions only invest in stocks and bonds? better check your facts

SS is a pay as you go because those funds where raided by politicians, more reason to take the money we are owed
hurricane harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Fascinating the proposals to be 'paid back' overly generous lump sums, knowing the "contributions" were spent when they were made (long ago), and the payouts would be coming from fellow taxpayers, our kids/grandkids mostly. Funny sense of humor if that's what it's meant to be?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:41 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Fascinating the proposals to be 'paid back' overly generous lump sums, knowing the "contributions" were spent when they were made (long ago), and the payouts would be coming from fellow taxpayers, our kids/grandkids mostly. Funny sense of humor if that's what it's meant to be?
I wonder if some find the same humor in underfunded government pension funds wanting payouts from present taxpayers for contributions that should have been made by taxpayers long gone. :-)
Old 09-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #53
Administrator

The original topic is interesting, hopefully the discussion will get back on track...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Would depend on the size of the lump sum. $3M? Sure! $500K? No.

OTOH, with talk of us "rich" folk being dropped from the SS rolls, "bird in hand" might apply some day.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I don't think it has gotten off track if you view SS as just another form of government pension.

These threads always seem to cast doubt on the sustainability of SS while we have military, state and federal pensions which should fall under the same doubt.

I guess we could have a separate thread for "Would you take a lump sum buyout of your military pension" or "Would you take a lump sum buyout of your federal pension" and then make statements on how that money would come from our children and grandchildren.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #56

Quote:
so you think pensions only invest in stocks and bonds? better check your facts

SS is a pay as you go because those funds where raided by politicians, more reason to take the money we are owed
According to this report on 100 big plans, 43% bonds, 37% equities, 20% "other" (including "real estate, private equity, hedge funds, commodities, and cash equivalents.")Corporate Pension Funding Study - Milliman - United States

But, the asset allocation wasn't the point. Most private plans are expected to be advance funded. If the sponsor decides to offer a lump sum option, the sponsor can usually get the money from selling assets.

SS is paygo. Almost all taxes collected were used to pay benefits in the same year that the taxes were paid. (Yes, I know about the Trust Fund, but it is small relative to an accumulation of all taxes.) Any decision to offer lump sums would need to get cash from somewhere.

Since the money was primarily spent on benefits to prior generations, my tongue-in-cheek suggestion was to get it back from them. My more serious comment was that we need to recognize that, for many of us, our current financial position is better due to the SS benefit our parents or grandparents received.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I guess we could have a separate thread for "Would you take a lump sum buyout of your military pension" or "Would you take a lump sum buyout of your federal pension" and then make statements on how that money would come from our children and grandchildren.
Nah. Lump-sum from our local gov't pension only gives a return of employee contributions plus very small interest based on Treasuries. That would be depleted in something like 5 years if using the annuity payout rate. You don't get any employer contributions or even the pension trust fund returns.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

Would stick with monthly SS payments. Never put all your eggs in one basket and it is always good to have multiple streams of income.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Debbyalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
And what to do with those that would take a lump sum, blow it and then come back as destitute? SS was never meant to be a retirement income, just a safety net.
+1
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Lighten up.... it is a hypothetical question that has zero chance of happening....

But, everybody who is getting a SS check is getting it from "fellow taxpayers, our kids/grandkids".... so what is the difference
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote