Join Early Retirement Today

Wow! Re the market, from today's NYTimes, business section
Old 02-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow! Re the market, from today's NYTimes, business section

“I’ve been telling clients to be in all cash,” said Ian Winer, co-head of equities trading at Wedbush Securities. “There’s too much credit risk out there, S.&P. 500 earnings could be down this year and it seems an increasing possibility that the U.S. could be in a recession in 2017.”“I’ve been telling clients to be in all cash,” said Ian Winer, co-head of equities trading at Wedbush Securities. “There’s too much credit risk out there, S.&P. 500 earnings could be down this year and it seems an increasing possibility that the U.S. could be in a recession in 2017.”

This seems a bit extreme, doesn't it? Of course, absolutely anything can ALWAYS happen.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #2

His clients will be pissed if he's wrong.

I'll stick with my 60/40 asset allocation... that 40% should let me ride out a recession.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm shocked, shocked to hear this has been going on.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

If his clients do as he says, he still charges a 1% fee ( or whatever he charges ), and he can go to the Bahamas for the entire summer, since he doesn't have to do research or analysis, follow the market, or trade.

Sound like a smart but self serving strategy.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
True. But he can get new clients. Rinse and repeat.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting week coming up...
China FX reserve numbers on Sunday Feb 7, Markets closed for Chinese Lunar New Year all next week.
Possible moment of truth. Serious event... US markets left to balance change, and nervous time for asset managers, until China comes back on-line.

Monday morning could be interesting... or not.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I'll stick with my 60/40 asset allocation... that 40% should let me ride out a recession.

+1
Old 02-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

+1. Not because I have same AA but because jumping left and right usually lead to higher losses.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
“I’ve been telling clients to be in all cash,” said Ian Winer, co-head of equities trading at Wedbush Securities. “There’s too much credit risk out there, S.&P. 500 earnings could be down this year and it seems an increasing possibility that the U.S. could be in a recession in 2017.”
Yes, S&P500 earnings could be down. So what else is new? It's either up, or it is down. Sort of like a rollercoaster sometimes.

Yes, there is a possibility of a recession in 2017. There also has been a possibility of a recession in every year. There is also a possibility of no recession.

Nothing that he said persuades me to bail on the stock market and go to all cash, and I'm pretty risk averse.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:20 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Recommend 100% cash long enough and you'll be a genius. Eventually. For a short period of time.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:00 AM   #11

There is a talking head for every possible outcome. Some will look like geniuses(they are not) and some will not look like geniuses(true). Better to ignore all this noise.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:02 AM   #12

I am going to stay the course. I may be on the right side by going to cash now, but likely I will be on the wrong side on the way up.

Likely, as soon as I sell, it will be the signal for the market to say "all clear" and move to new records.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:03 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Being 100% in cash is like betting against the long term market. Similar to betting against the house in Vegas. You're probably going to lose.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-05-2016, 06:05 AM   #14

Economists have predicted 10 of the last 3 recessions.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:21 AM   #15
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Economists have predicted 10 of the last 3 recessions.
That right there tickled my funny bone!

"Retirement means no pressure, no stress, no heartache... unless you play golf."
Gene Perret
ReadyAimFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Monday morning could be interesting... or not.
Well done, that statement covers 100% of the possible scenarios.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:38 AM   #17

If he is that pessimistic, why not follow his conviction and put a big % in treasuries if expecting the market to dump. Certainly interest rates won't be headed up in that environment.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Despite the obvious seemingly bad idea, for many members of this forum, to follow such advice, I have a coworker who did follow this advice and is all in cash. He is my boss. A very intelligent man otherwise. He followed this advice during the great recession in 2008 and has been in all cash ever since. He probably out earns me by at least 2X but, judging by what he has told me, he has a lot less saved for retirement then my family does.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #19

I have friends that are financial professionals and they are now wondering if "China is oversold"....whether "S&P 500" is over sold and when would be the time to buy and sell. I told them I bought Vanguard Total Stock market because my allocation was now off a bit. The response was a rather derisory "well anyone can rebalance". And that's exactly the point, anyone can do it and that really annoys financial professionals. I'm sticking with at least 70% equities and I'll probably let it drift up to 80% over then next decade because I have a liability matching portfolio.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am going to stay the course. I may be on the right side by going to cash now, but likely I will be on the wrong side on the way up.

Likely, as soon as I sell, it will be the signal for the market to say "all clear" and move to new records.

Absolutely agree. My position as well.