Join Early Retirement Today

What goes around comes around
Old 10-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

What goes around comes around

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
the article itself... focuses on a 55-and-over community in a wealthy area of California where there appears to be fierce conflict between newer, well-off residents who want to upgrade by adding expensive amenities (e.g. a "tournament-quality pickleball complex") and those who bought in early, whose finances tend to be more limited. The level of hostility is extremely high...
...I can't help thinking that in 5 or 10 years the well-off newcomers will have the numbers to get whatever they want, which means the limited-income group will be in trouble.
I can't help thinking that the same struggle will repeat. In 20 years, when today's newcomers are the oldtimers, will they face an influx of younger, wealthier residents who want them to share the cost of fresh, expensive amenities (e.g., a "tournament-quality hoverboard complex") they have no interest in using?

I'd wager that the irony will be lost on them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My community has no pickle ball court, but I have no problem finding courts to play. There are so many communities out there with pickle ball courts and lessons. Some are free and some charge $3 per day or something like that. I’ve been investigating this sport to add to my exercise routine, that’s how I know. As long as I can drive, I have no problem.

Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
My community has no pickle ball court, but I have no problem finding courts to play. There are so many communities out there with pickle ball courts and lessons. Some are free and some charge $3 per day or something like that. Iíve been investigating this sport to add to my exercise routine, thatís how I know. As long as I can drive, I have no problem.
It is a great sport for retirees. If you have played racquetball, or Table Tennis or Tennis before, you should have no issues.
It is a deceptive workout, great social fun and can be competitive too.
I usually play 5x per week.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Yes this is already happening in our area. The condo complex down the street is about the same age, similar oceanfront location, etc., but has done major upgrades to their common areas and security, while our building hasnít yet. The units down the street are about 20% smaller but are now selling more quickly and for higher prices than our building, despite their HOA dues being over 15% higher.

Itís hard for me to understand why owners in our building arenít demanding that our HOA keep up with the competition. I guess they donít see how this directly affects the value of their property.

If we hadnít invested in a major remodel 3 years ago, we might consider moving, but we did and we love it so we are trying to motivate other owners to support positive changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I think, for many, including us, this is our "last home". We do not care what the resale value will be when we pass on.
Simply what Souschef said. He doesn't care about the competition or re-sale. Doesn't see his home as an investment. If you and the richer, more competitive residents want to be competitive with other HOA's why not invest your own money in upgrades? How much money would it cost to replace or repair the outdoor furniture?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I can't help thinking that the same struggle will repeat. In 20 years, when today's newcomers are the oldtimers, will they face an influx of younger, wealthier residents who want them to share the cost of fresh, expensive amenities (e.g., a "tournament-quality hoverboard complex") they have no interest in using?

I'd wager that the irony will be lost on them.
Interesting: A post that's amusing, foreboding and probably accurate. How did you do that in just three sentences?
Old 10-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #146
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Simply what Souschef said. He doesn't care about the competition or re-sale. Doesn't see his home as an investment. If you and the richer, more competitive residents want to be competitive with other HOA's why not invest your own money in upgrades? How much money would it cost to replace or repair the outdoor furniture?
If the Association improves common facilities then every member benefits... so every member should ante up. Just because some members are too myopic or short-sighted to see it doesn't mean that they get a free ride.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If the Association improves common facilities then every member benefits... so every member should ante up. Just because some members are to myopic or short-sighted to see it doesn't mean that they get a free ride.

Absolutely. That is the entire concept of an HOA in a nutshell. Very dangerous to start ďcherry pickingĒ IMO. The HOA Board is elected to decide what is best for the HOA and execute it. If owners donít like changes, or want to push for more changes, they can run for the Board and try to influence the direction of the building, move, or just accept the situation. In my case, Iím tired of being on the Board and donít plan to run again in the foreseeable future. For now, weíll enjoy our remodel and forget about all of this turmoil. If the common areas deteriorate too much, weíll move.

Friends of ours told us about their condo building in San Diego. Itís beachfront but is an older building with lots of long term owners who donít want to spend money. Apparently rather than replacing their common area lobby furniture en masse, they are doing it one piece at a time, with no coordinated plan. If our building ever resorts to that, we will definitely be out of there, hopefully before that even starts to happen.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
the frontal lobes don't really kick in until age 25 or 27
I grew up fairly poor in the 1980s. In 1984, I went to the career center to research professions. I found out I didn't have the GPA to get into veterinarian school, to work as a marine biologist, you need a doctorate and won't get paid much, journalists don't get paid much, and geologists can generally get a decent-paying job with a bachelor's. I went with the latter career, and am now making low six figures. Went to a public college. Did terrible in math until I went to college. Seems like common sense is what's missing today with college and major choices...0?
HNL Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #149

A close friend of mine was the head of his condo/ timeshare board. It was a big building with elevators, (needed expensive repair or replace), curtain wall windows ( failed seals, leaky frames, needed replacement), etc. Nobody wanted to pay, it was very hard to even get agreement to fund work that was safety related or would save much more $$ later. A thankless headache for him. I would NEVER take that on.
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #150

Quote:
If the Association improves common facilities then every member benefits... so every member should ante up. Just because some members are too myopic or short-sighted to see it doesn't mean that they get a free ride.
+1
I was treasurer of my HOA for 25 years. The main reason was I did not trust anyone else to do the job. People do not grasp the fact that whatever facilities there are in the common areas, they are for everyone whether they use them or not. A swimming pool is a good example.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

I believe Iíve been talked out of getting a condo...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
+1
I was treasurer of my HOA for 25 years. The main reason was I did not trust anyone else to do the job. People do not grasp the fact that whatever facilities there are in the common areas, they are for everyone whether they use them or not. A swimming pool is a good example.
And that swimming pool adds value to their property whether they use it or not.... as do other common facilities... and when those common facilities are substandard or in disrepair, they reduce values.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #153

Quote:
And that swimming pool adds value to their property whether they use it or not.... as do other common facilities... and when those common facilities are substandard or in disrepair, they reduce values.

Wish everyone understood that!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
WE are glad to not be a part of a HOA anymore. They would make everyone stain their fence every 2 years which it didn't need and was a big job as the lots were big. They would drive by and if they saw a week in your front yard you would get a nasty letter and would need to have them come back and check it was pulled or get a fine.

I don't think I'd care for a HOA that mandates the exterior condition without being responsible for it. I'd hate to give the HOA the authority but not the responsibility.

We live in a townhome with a HOA. The HOA is responsible for all outdoor maintenance except decks and windows & doors. Roofing, exterior painting, and landscaping are big headaches given that the development is 50 yrs old, but the HOA and their contractors are doing a solid job.

The dues are high for the area, but the place looks great without huge special assessments that can plague some developments. Friends living in high rise condos have been hit with $20-30K special assessment to replace critical systems. Another friend was forced to pay $15K+ to tear out a perfectly good cement driveway and replace with high maintenance pavers. She was outvoted....

We are fortunate to live in a community with similar values, more luck than anything else. A bunch of later career folks, empty nesters, and retirees. We want to keep the place looking nice but don't have to turn the place into a luxury development in our sleepy neighborhood. One of the reasons we are reluctant to leave and take our chances elsewhere despite crappy weather here half the year...
Old 10-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #155

They dont force you to do anything. I asked them and I agreed to paint just above the garage.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
There are many jealous folks who wake up in their 50's and realize that retirement is not going to be pretty.
Heck, a 30 something guy in the ice cream shop was upset that I was retired........
But I doubt he took advantage of the golden opportunity standing in front of him and asked, "Would you mind telling me how you did it?"

-BB
Old 10-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
But I doubt he took advantage of the golden opportunity standing in front of him and asked, "Would you mind telling me how you did it?"
Bingo! They don't even think to ask the question, but instead assume you were lucky, or born into wealth...of course, he's working where?
HNL Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
I don't think I'd care for a HOA that mandates the exterior condition without being responsible for it. I'd hate to give the HOA the authority but not the responsibility. ....

We are fortunate to live in a community with similar values, more luck than anything else. A bunch of later career folks, empty nesters, and retirees. We want to keep the place looking nice ...
But that is exactly why a HOA (or deed restrictions) that mandate exterior condition is valuable.... I know that I'm responsible and will keep the exterior of my place in good condition... but I don't know about my neighbors... or they may even desire to keep things tidy but fall on hard times and can't afford to... HOA requirements or deed restrictions help ensure that the neighboring home exteriors will be kept tidy... which has a favorable impact on my property's value.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #159

Quote:
But that is exactly why a HOA (or deed restrictions) that mandate exterior condition is valuable.... I know that I'm responsible and will keep the exterior of my place in good condition... but I don't know about my neighbors... or they may even desire to keep things tidy but fall on hard times and can't afford to... HOA requirements or deed restrictions help ensure that the neighboring home exteriors will be kept tidy... which has a favorable impact on my property's value.
Exactly.

Where we live an HOA is a very Good Thing and almost a necessity. The county's voters in their infinite wisdom stupidity have twice voted down zoning, so you can buy a house and your next door neighbor is free to start a junkyard, bar, strip joint, or whatever will fit inside the building and land.

And some people are inherently slobs. A house two doors up from us seems to be inhabited by candidates for the "Hoarders" TV show at least going by what we see when a garage door is up. It's packed shoulder height with junk. They had a junk car in the driveway for two years, joined by another for a few months before they finally had them towed away. He had an old flatbed trailer stored by the side of the house (a violation here) and frequently had junk stored on top of that. I'm not one to be fussy about things but it got so bad that I took photos and sent them to the management company to substantiate the complaint, the only time in my life I've ever done that.

Fortunately the HOA seems to be reasonable. When my front yard was torn up to replace the water line in November one year I didn't hear a peep from them and we planted grass seed the following spring. Of course it looked awful over that winter, but it was far too late to plant anything.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #160
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Exactly.

Where we live an HOA is a very Good Thing and almost a necessity. The county's voters in their infinite wisdom stupidity have twice voted down zoning, so you can buy a house and your next door neighbor is free to start a junkyard, bar, strip joint, or whatever will fit inside the building and land.

And some people are inherently slobs. A house two doors up from seems to be inhabited by candidates for the "Hoarders" TV show...
I frequently drive past a prime example of this and may stop some day and take a photo to post. Someone built and sold five very nice houses in a rural area - no zoning, no HOA. Four of the houses are attractive and well maintained but the middle of the five is an absolute disaster area with old cars, piles of junk and a yard that has never seen a mower.

Bet those four neighbors wished they had a HOA.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote