Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Well WSJ and a therapist......I don't have much admiration for either and I'll keep my bucket list - thanks. Last year's item was riding my bicycle solo across the USA and Canada. It was a fantastic experience and the next one is to complete a ride around Iceland that I failed at about 5 years ago.
Wow.. wouldn't have documented that cross country somewhere would you ? (says the sometime bicycle tourer)

I've been looking at those WOW Air fares to Reykjavik. Less than $400 !
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Wow.. wouldn't have documented that cross country somewhere would you ? (says the sometime bicycle tourer) I've been looking at those WOW Air fares to Reykjavik. Less than $400 !
Yes It's on a blog. I'll PM you with the link if you are interested.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #43

I suppose nearly anything will apply to some people, but I did not agree with the article in my own case. I do not have a list of thrills that I am trying to get (like skydiving) but I do greatly enjoy travel to locations of my choosing. I get a great feeling from visiting places like the Grand Canyon or the Louvre, and don't find my life dull or depressing in between.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Yes It's on a blog. I'll PM you with the link if you are interested.
Please do !
Old 03-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree about doing many small pleasures too and we have upped how many of these we do. We now do something fun weekly at least. I still want to take 1-2 big trips/year while we can. This is a really fun time in life.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The article/title is at the very least misleading, it assumes TRAVEL is an ingredient in all bucket list entries.

I've had a bucket list since I was 30-something and still do, but travel wasn't central to any of the items on my list. I'm a little more than halfway through my list of 70 something items.

And as Sarah noted, he's only seeing patients that are unhappy with their travels. Not a good effort by WSJ IMHO...
Travel certainly is a big item on many people's bucket list (not mine), but I wonder how much of that comes from the fact that w*rk often prevented people from taking as many trips as they would have liked. But, once one is retired with plenty of time to travel, how special or enlightening can it really be to see another famous landmark or a nice view? A mountain is a mountain, a beach is a beach, and an old building is just another an old building...regardless of whether it's 200 years old or 1000 years old.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

One thing that got my attention was the notion that as we age, we are better suited to sit around and ponder life. Hogwash. Keep your mind young and fresh by doing new and exciting things.

I am not retired, but my wife and hope to travel later in life. My parents successfully traveled and we were often on their itinerary. Children have to realize that parents stayed back and raised their family. When they retire, they certainly should have a right to enjoy time doing travel if they so choose.

Of course travel isn't for everyone. You can certainly find plenty of new and exciting things to do right at home. :O)
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
But, once one is retired with plenty of time to travel, how special or enlightening can it really be to see another famous landmark or a nice view? A mountain is a mountain, a beach is a beach, and an old building is just another an old building...regardless of whether it's 200 years old or 1000 years old.
Every place is different. Sometimes in large ways and sometimes in small ones, but no two places are exactly a like. Partly it's the appreciation of these differences that keeps travel fresh.

It was amazing, for example, stepping off the train in Nimes, France, after spending a month in Spain. It was only a two hour train ride from Girona but as soon as we got off the train, before we spoke to a single person, we knew we were in a different country because the everyday architecture was so different. And then of course you experience the language, and the cuisine, and the culture . . . all so very different.

And partly it's the wonder of wondrous things that keep travel fresh. No other place in the world is like Venice, or Angkor Wat, or Bryce Canyon, or St. Peter's Cathedral, or Hoi An, or Dubrovnik, or . . .

Unless you've seen them all, you haven't seen it all.

And yes, sometimes a mountain is just a mountain. But the same old living room sofa is always the same old sofa. And sometimes it really is nice to have a different place to sit.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Please do !
I just sent you the link to the start of the blog.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:43 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Every place is not the same. The culture, history, etc in Europe is nothing like in the States. It is fun meeting people from other cultures and experiencing the food too. We went to Thailand and saw palaces, temples, reclining gold Budda-nothing like that in the states either. It was spectacular.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
WSJ article - It's time to rethink the bucket-list
Old 03-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

WSJ article - It's time to rethink the bucket-list

While I agree with you (heck, DH and I have been to Alaska twice and are returning to Iceland this year because it's a different experience every time), I know perfectly sane retirees, including my siblings, who have no wish to leave the country unless it's an all-inclusive in Cabo San Lucas. To each his/her own; don't want the airline lounges to get too crowded!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
...what REALLY beckons is that dear little baby napping just 15 min. away from my new neighborhood.

...I don't intend to become the child care provider, but will babysit sometimes for DS's nights out with his DW, and have offered to be their back up sitter when little granddaughter has to stay home from childcare if she is sick.
This sounds like DW with her grandnieces and grandnephews. (The second grandnephew is about a week old.) They are two hours and one hour away respectfully and she thoroughly enjoys every minute she spends with them. She comes back home tired if not exhausted, more often than not with a sore back, but wouldn't miss a minute of it. She is also "Plan C" for when babysitting arrangements collapse and is happy to do it.

There is not a shade doubt in my mind that these kids will always remember with deep fondness "Aunt G" and how much she cared for them and how much time she spent with them. And that is important to both of us.

Like W2R we have little interest in travel but will do so from time to time, just not for extended distances or times. And we're happy with our choices.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Flying that jet sounds cool, but I'm not to the point in my life where I'm going to spend $170/minute on any experience.
It is a veritable bargain at $60 a minute. My wife, bless her heart, told me to go for it. She also bought me a helicopter lesson for my birthday one year.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
A mountain is a mountain, a beach is a beach, and an old building is just another an old building...regardless of whether it's 200 years old or 1000 years old.
Yep, but I can't see any of that from inside my house! I think I am just a restless soul that needs the change of scenery every once in a while...

I really cracked up today by the way, because my son said he wanted to be Forrest Gump and just run across the country for 2 years ..... I guess the restlessness is a family trait!
KmmFIdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmmFIdreamer View Post
Yep, but I can't see any of that from inside my house! I think I am just a restless soul that needs the change of scenery every once in a while...
I do think think that travel is more appealing if it is kind of dull either topographically or socially or entertainment-wise where a person lives.

As soon as I got out of high school I saw to it that I lived in lively places that were magnets for others' travel. In general if I didn't have to travel for work, I liked being home. I does make a difference if you look out the window and see sea and mountains, instead of another few miles of prairie.

Also, if you are outgoing you meet people from other places pretty constantly. Today we went to a happy hour and talked to a guy from Atlanta, another guy from Portland, a bartender we didn't previously know from Western Michigan, and a young woman who had recently moved out from Dorchester Mass. Plus I think the locals here are about as good as people can be.

Ha lives in what is a perfect place for him.

Ha
Old 03-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I do think think that travel is more appealing if it is kind of dull either topographically or socially or entertainment-wise where a person lives.

Interesting observation. DH and I are in a lakefront house in a little town that's a suburb of a Big City. There are excellent restaurants and a world-class concert hall within a 45-minute drive and we do enjoy them on rare occasions but mostly we're homebodies who rent a RedBox movie on Friday nights. It's interesting that we both love it this way: peace and predictability 90% of the time, with occasional travel. Another way it's a match made in heaven!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
This sounds like DW with her grandnieces and grandnephews. (The second grandnephew is about a week old.) They are two hours and one hour away respectfully and she thoroughly enjoys every minute she spends with them. She comes back home tired if not exhausted, more often than not with a sore back, but wouldn't miss a minute of it. She is also "Plan C" for when babysitting arrangements collapse and is happy to do it.

There is not a shade doubt in my mind that these kids will always remember with deep fondness "Aunt G" and how much she cared for them and how much time she spent with them. And that is important to both of us.

Like W2R we have little interest in travel but will do so from time to time, just not for extended distances or times. And we're happy with our choices.
Wow-- those kids are lucky to have their "Aunt G." And it sounds like she has a lot of fun!
Old 03-23-2016, 01:35 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Flying that jet sounds cool, but I'm not to the point in my life where I'm going to spend $170/minute on any experience.
One way around it is to get the military to pay you to do it.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:45 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

As soon as I got out of high school I saw to it that I lived in lively places that were magnets for others' travel. In general if I didn't have to travel for work, I liked being home. I does make a difference if you look out the window and see sea and mountains, instead of another few miles of prairie.

Ha
I agree and this is part of the appeal to having several homes. They are all in places others would view as tourist destinations. Best of both worlds for us, ie don't get bored in one place but also don't have to live out of a suitcase. Have friends in all locations and sometimes invite them to visit us at a different local. Kind of neat in my view, but obviously not practical/affordible for most people.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #60

Quote:
Travel certainly is a big item on many people's bucket list (not mine), but I wonder how much of that comes from the fact that w*rk often prevented people from taking as many trips as they would have liked. But, once one is retired with plenty of time to travel, how special or enlightening can it really be to see another famous landmark or a nice view? A mountain is a mountain, a beach is a beach, and an old building is just another an old building...regardless of whether it's 200 years old or 1000 years old.
Ouch, can't agree with you there. There is a HUGE difference in the beach near me (Ocean city NJ) and a beach in Hawaii or a Hot water Beach in New Zealand.

IMO it can be extremely special. sure if you go with the premise of another old building is just an old building.
So I do agree , that it's how you view different things when traveling. IMO traveling is supposed to expand your mind and soul. So yes, you defeat the purpose if when you step out your door you say "a building is a building".

I live in Philadelphia, a few years back, after some excavations they discovered the resting place of some slaves that worked for George Washington, now they have an exhibition on how these folks lived and what they did. Yes that is very enlightening imo. At the Betsy Ross house, they usually have a character actress, very interactive and not just some woman smiling and sewing. You ask her questions about her life and she gives an historically accurate personal account.

the mountains in Pennsylvania are not the same as the mountains in Colorado. lol, heck once I saw the Sierra Nevada mountain range I really thought the Poconos should stop using the word "mountain".
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote