Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I do think think that travel is more appealing if it is kind of dull either topographically or socially or entertainment-wise where a person lives.

As soon as I got out of high school I saw to it that I lived in lively places that were magnets for others' travel. In general if I didn't have to travel for work, I liked being home. I does make a difference if you look out the window and see sea and mountains, instead of another few miles of prairie.

Also, if you are outgoing you meet people from other places pretty constantly. Today we went to a happy hour and talked to a guy from Atlanta, another guy from Portland, a bartender we didn't previously know from Western Michigan, and a young woman who had recently moved out from Dorchester Mass. Plus I think the locals here are about as good as people can be.

Ha lives in what is a perfect place for him.

Ha

I guess for me travel is more than just "seeing" some thing different. I was born and raised in Manhattan. lol, pretty much you can't get more diverse and lively than that.

I grew up with the travel bug, I was blessed with parents who felt that "difference" was good. NOw I live in another big city and still love to travel.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Seems to me that most people are about as happy as they choose to be. And I believe it actually has little to do with where you go and what you do. Rather, it is your fundamental reaction to life itself. Essentially happy people can find fulfillment in almost anything.
Well said. The key to happiness is contentment.
Hershey102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:55 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
I guess for me travel is more than just "seeing" some thing different. I was born and raised in Manhattan. lol, pretty much you can't get more diverse and lively than that.
It's true. I'm back in Manhattan now for two months. It's one of my favorite cities on earth. There's a wealth of culture here that few other places can rival. I once read of a man who was completing a project where he was photographing children from every one of the world's 191 countries. And he did it without ever leaving New York's five boroughs.

But as much as there is that is here, the list of things that aren't here is longer still.

Even just the feel of places are different. Walking down the avenues of NYC is nothing at all like walking through the bee-hive of activity that is Hanoi or through the centuries old mazes of Seville or the millennia old warrens of a Marrakech souk.

Those experience aren't as much about seeing, as they are about feeling.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Even just the feel of places are different. Walking down the avenues of NYC is nothing at all like walking through the bee-hive of activity that is Hanoi or through the centuries old mazes of Seville or the millennia old warrens of a Marrakech souk.

When we are traveling, the 'must see' attractions are generally of secondary or tertiary importance, (and are often totally ignored).

We prefer to walk the back streets and alleys of towns/cities where people live, in an attempt to temporarily (albeit peripherally) 'connect' with different communities, absorb the atmosphere, and enjoy the illusion that we are a fleeting part of that society......both now, and in the proverbial days of yore.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
When we are traveling, the 'must see' attractions are generally of secondary or tertiary importance, (and are often totally ignored).

We prefer to walk the back streets and alleys of towns/cities where people live, in an attempt to temporarily (albeit peripherally) 'connect' with different communities, absorb the atmosphere, and enjoy the illusion that we are a fleeting part of that society......both now, and in the proverbial days of yore.
We usually stay places for long enough to settle in and explore. At the same time we're suckers for the big ticket attractions, too. I really do find that most popular tourist attractions are popular for a reason.

But there's also plenty of under-the-radar stuff that more hurried travelers wiz right past. We were back in Rome last summer and it was so completely mobbed that we skipped most everything on any guidebook itinerary to avoid the crowds. Instead we went to palaces and churches and museums that weren't high on anyone's list. They were all amazing . . . and empty notwithstanding crowds 30 deep at places like the Pantheon.

It's nice to have the time to experience both.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Every so often, the debate on travel resurfaces. Some people get nothing or little out of travel. They should not feel pressured to do it. It's a free world. I get nothing out of watching spectator sports, and would be bored out of my wits. I would have to be paid big money to go to a stadium, though I would take less to watch it on the tube. Good thing nobody ever twists my arm to do either.

I have an uncle-in-law who does not care to travel. This is fine, except that he objects to my aunt traveling with friends or family. Now, that is awful.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Travel certainly is a big item on many people's bucket list (not mine), but I wonder how much of that comes from the fact that w*rk often prevented people from taking as many trips as they would have liked. But, once one is retired with plenty of time to travel, how special or enlightening can it really be to see another famous landmark or a nice view? A mountain is a mountain, a beach is a beach, and an old building is just another an old building...regardless of whether it's 200 years old or 1000 years old.
This is a sign that you want to stay at home. Nothing wrong with that.
Quote:
Every place is different. Sometimes in large ways and sometimes in small ones, but no two places are exactly a like. Partly it's the appreciation of these differences that keeps travel fresh.
We love the culture. If all you want to see mountains, watch the pictures and videos on the internet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
While I agree with you (heck, DH and I have been to Alaska twice and are returning to Iceland this year because it's a different experience every time), I know perfectly sane retirees, including my siblings, who have no wish to leave the country unless it's an all-inclusive in Cabo San Lucas. To each his/her own; don't want the airline lounges to get too crowded!
Yes we believe that a little discomfort is worth the reward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I agree and this is part of the appeal to having several homes. They are all in places others would view as tourist destinations. Best of both worlds for us, ie don't get bored in one place but also don't have to live out of a suitcase. Have friends in all locations and sometimes invite them to visit us at a different local. Kind of neat in my view, but obviously not practical/affordable for most people.
We enjoy our 3 homes because of the people. It is very rewarding to get to know people from such different ways of life. It helps to keep us open-minded
Quote:
It's true. I'm back in Manhattan now for two months. It's one of my favorite cities on earth. There's a wealth of culture here that few other places can rival. I once read of a man who was completing a project where he was photographing children from every one of the world's 191 countries. And he did it without ever leaving New York's five boroughs.

But as much as there is that is here, the list of things that aren't here is longer still.

Agree that the feeling of differing cultures is very exhilarating. That is likely what differentiates travelers from home bodies.

We are currently constrained by our 18 year-old cat but we expect that to change in the next 3 years. We go to Europe for a month (with a cat-sitter at home), we spend 5-6 months in Mexico and a couple of weeks with our grandchildren.

(Would I like to spend more time with the GCs? I learned during our time with young children that a couple of weeks of quality time beats dinner every Sunday or attending every soccer game.)

To each their own!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #68
Gone but not forgotten

Will the Brussels attack affect bucket list travel plans?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
No. We have multiple trips to Europe planned for the upcoming months and see no reason to make any changes.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

The risk of getting harmed in a terrorist attack is low. However, the hassle of air travel is increasing. I used to think that if I coughed up the money for business class that all would be well. This does not however fix other problems, such as security lines, canceled flights, delays, etc...

I am getting to the point where I start to enjoy my RV trek more than international travel. This is a bit of concern, as I am not that old to accept defeat.

PS. We have been to Belgium (Brussels, Bruges, Ostende), and have no current plans to revisit.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It will mine.

We haven't yet been to Brussels but yesterday's events caused me to move the city up on my itinerary because . . . f@ck terrorists!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But there's also plenty of under-the-radar stuff that more hurried travelers wiz right past.
33 years ago, my late wife & I drove for a day to visit Rorke's Drift......there wasn't a whole lot to see, and there were no other people there......but I've seen it, and I'll never forget it.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #73

Quote:

Yes, I booked all my travels in continental Europe using free points and mileages, just in case I have to cancel.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The article/title is at the very least misleading, it assumes TRAVEL is an ingredient in all bucket list entries.

I've had a bucket list since I was 30-something and still do, but travel wasn't central to any of the items on my list. I'm a little more than halfway through my list of 70 something items.
+1
I am having a really hard time with the "triplets" and a "circus midget".
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nope - Just booked a trip to England and Ireland. I'm not worried - I probably stand a greater chance of danger in Chicago.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I doubt that having a "bucket list" is the issue, but it might be a symptom. The real issue (IMO) is the ability to enjoy the moment. If Person A is just "killing time" in anticipation of the next "high," while Person B is taking advantage of each day's opportunities--right where they are and within easy reach, maybe even in a predictable routine--to have some fun, gain some fulfillment, then I suspect Person B might ultimately be more satisfied. Many of us spent our working years in anticipation, for an annual holiday vacation and ultimately to be free of the shackles of a j*b to have the freedom of retirement. It would be a shame to spend retirement in yet more waiting for periodic rushes rather than taking the opportunities close at hand.
It's not an either-or thing. There's no problem with travel or adventure, but if I found that my daily life was something to be endured while waiting for that big rush, I'd probably seek to recalibrate things. If I've substituted artificially stressful bucket list "to-dos" for my previous artificially stressful w*rk to-dos, maybe I haven't gained all I could have.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I doubt that having a "bucket list" is the issue, but it might be a symptom. The real issue (IMO) is the ability to enjoy the moment. If Person A is just "killing time" in anticipation of the next "high," while Person B is taking advantage of each day's opportunities--right where they are and within easy reach, maybe even in a predictable routine--to have some fun, gain some fulfillment, then I suspect Person B might ultimately be more satisfied. Many of us spent our working years in anticipation, for an annual holiday vacation and ultimately to be free of the shackles of a j*b to have the freedom of retirement. It would be a shame to spend retirement in yet more waiting for periodic rushes rather than taking the opportunities close at hand.
It's not an either-or thing. There's no problem with travel or adventure, but if I found that my daily life was something to be endured while waiting for that big rush, I'd probably seek to recalibrate things. If I've substituted artificially stressful w*rk goals for artificially stressful bucket list "to-dos", maybe I haven't gained all I could have.
+1
Old 03-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #78
Administrator

Quote:
Nope.

We leave for England in 3 weeks, and already have a 2 week driving vacation booked and planned through Belgium with BIL and his wife. (That is in August).
Old 03-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I doubt that having a "bucket list" is the issue, but it might be a symptom. The real issue (IMO) is the ability to enjoy the moment. If Person A is just "killing time" in anticipation of the next "high," while Person B is taking advantage of each day's opportunities--right where they are and within easy reach, maybe even in a predictable routine--to have some fun, gain some fulfillment, then I suspect Person B might ultimately be more satisfied...
I do not have a bucket list. Or rather, my bucket list is huge and not selective. There are so many things in the world that I have not done and probably would enjoy.

Travel is not the only thing. If I don't get to do one thing, then I will do something else. Even finding a new dish and being able to cook it for family to enjoy at a party I host is a pleasurable event.

So many things to do, so many places to be, but so little time...

Old 03-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #80

Quote:
Nope. I will be there next Friday. I plan on spending extra euros there and in Antwerp...

Statistically and logically speaking of course, it's probably the safest place to be for a while..