Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Independent......I'm w/ you. It would have been interesting to have seen the claims and then a point by point critique. I think it would have been educational.
Yes, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

A critique could be posted in the FAQ section, and the next time a salescritter comes calling, we could point them to the trail of bones....

I saw the post before it was deleted, it was clearly a solicitation for business (surprise!), and therefore in violation of the rules, so I'd guess that is why it was deleted. But most people would not know that. Kinda leaves everyone hanging.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post

Maybe you can say something in general about about "spam".

Is describing and pointing out the pros a specific product (and not giving equal time to the cons) unacceptable "spam"? Or, does it become spam when you are simply cutting and pasting sales material? Or, only when you're dumping sales material into an unrelated thread?
As others have mentioned, spam is using the forum to solicit business, something clearly prohibited by our Community Rules. Including links to commercial websites and/or posting email addresses where members can go for "more information" are two examples.

The most obvious form of spam activity on the forum is of the "Cheap Nike Shoes!" variety. More subtle, yet equally short-lived, is "comment spam" where a (usually new) member posts short, innocuous "nice post" comments and includes a link to a commercial site at the bottom of the post. Occasionally a new poster appears to be straightforward, but begins to migrate the conversation to a particular subject where they provide - as a simple courtesy of course - an email address or link where you can go to find more information.

The first two types of spammers are usually dispatched within a few minutes (seconds?) of appearing as the membership reports them to the moderators using the Report Post button. The last type often lasts longer and sometimes leaves a lingering aftertaste...
Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

REW has a genetic abnormality called Spam-Dar. I know from my days as an administrator here that one is well advised not to question him when the spam antenna starts sizzling.

I got decent at it by the time I stepped down, but he takes it to a whole other level which no mere mortal can approach.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
REW has a genetic abnormality...
I thought that was considered PHI under HIPPA...

Actually I don't believe it is genetic. All our mods have the ability to smell spot a spammer a mile away - even in the dim light of a computer monitor.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
REW has a genetic abnormality called Spam-Dar. I know from my days as an administrator here that one is well advised not to question him when the spam antenna starts sizzling.

I got decent at it by the time I stepped down, but he takes it to a whole other level which no mere mortal can approach.
True, but as Ha said, 'we (on this board) can take care of ourselves'. Haven't seen too many kayak or pancake bunny posting lately, I was just getting ready to ask for some kayak financial advice but was too slow.

Now to keep things clean for the newer or less sophisticated folks , the moderators do a good job (IMHO) of filtering out inappropriate posts while still letting things run fairly freely.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
As others have mentioned, spam is using the forum to solicit business, something clearly prohibited by our Community Rules. Including links to commercial websites and/or posting email addresses where members can go for "more information" are two examples.

The most obvious form of spam activity on the forum is of the "Cheap Nike Shoes!" variety. More subtle, yet equally short-lived, is "comment spam" where a (usually new) member posts short, innocuous "nice post" comments and includes a link to a commercial site at the bottom of the post. Occasionally a new poster appears to be straightforward, but begins to migrate the conversation to a particular subject where they provide - as a simple courtesy of course - an email address or link where you can go to find more information.

The first two types of spammers are usually dispatched within a few minutes (seconds?) of appearing as the membership reports them to the moderators using the Report Post button. The last type often lasts longer and sometimes leaves a lingering aftertaste...
Thanks. That's a line I can understand.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote