Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

www.ehealthinsurance.com fudge factor?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

www.ehealthinsurance.com fudge factor?

A year or so ago I got the freebie quotes for health insurance from the ehealthinsurance.com website and was pleasantly surprised at the most reasonable quotes I received. I dutifully reported this on one of these boards and was informed that the rates quoted only apply to those in perfect health with no record of having ever taken an aspirin, YMMV, or something like that.

I was told that a normal human bean who's had a prescription or two filled in the course of his lifetime should expect a much higher quote after submitting a real application, along with my application fee.

I've had a couple of bumps, bruises, and breaks in my life, had a knee reworked once (ACL), and for a short time took these pills that were supposed to make me less of a mope, which they sort of did, but only when I wasn't sleeping, which was most of the time.

Can any of you give me a few data points on the difference between the freebie online quote and what you actually wound up paying, so I can come up with a reasonable fudge factor?

Thanks,

Cb*
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: www.ehealthinsurance.com fudge factor?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The monthly premium I was quoted in the end was almost 50% higher than the ehealthinsurance.com figure. And that was after the ins. carrier tacked on three exclusions to DW's coverage.

REW
Old 08-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Really? Because the quote I got from ehealthinsurance.com was quite a bit higher than I got from Golden Rule directly.

I checked ehealthinsurance.com and then contacted Golden Rule directly.

It seems ehealthinsurance.com is the middleman. At 44 and 45, my DW and I have a premium of $194 per month for $5,000 deductible, along with high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds that we pay for directly...
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky
Really? Because the quote I got from ehealthinsurance.com was quite a bit higher than I got from Golden Rule directly.

Good for you. And yes, that's the same way I worked it here. We got a quote (online) from e-health, but went directly to Golden Rule to submit our application. GR contacted our physicians for information, then ran everything through underwriting and notified us our premium would be almost 150% of what e-health had quoted us.

But as we all know, "Your actual mileage may vary"...

REW
Old 08-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky

It seems ehealthinsurance.com is the middleman. At 44 and 45, my DW and I have a premium of $194 per month for $5,000 deductible, along with high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds that we pay for directly...
How do you get a quote from Golden Rule directly? On their we bite they indicate to go though a broker, isn't that just another middle man?

SWR
Old 08-20-2005, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
How do you get a quote from Golden Rule directly? On their we bite they indicate to go though a broker, isn't that just another middle man?

SWR
Their website lists a 1-800 number to call. I talked directly to GR and did not deal with any intermediary. Could it vary by state?

REW
Old 08-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did the same, spoke with one of their direct sales reps, and was then sent a quote with application.
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:25 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A game that can be played in the personal insurance arena is "the low introductory rate".* May masquerade under names like "Rate guaranteed for 1 year".* After your year is up, you get to meet Ben Dover.* Ben gave me a 22.5 % increase over 18 months then.* Rate increases every 9 mos. now.* I have zero claims.* They say the rate increases are based on the pool of insured's that you are classed in with in your state (this has nothing to do with the insurance of last resort state pool).* I'm bailing to a group plan.* In about 4 years from now, I hope the personal ins. situation improves, as I will probably re-enter the pers. ins. market again then.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:46 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

How can one become a member of a group and get group insurance if one is an individual? Which groups do you recommend?

SWR
Old 08-22-2005, 06:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I had good luck with BCBS of MS online service. The prelimanary estimate given on their website agreed exactly with my final premium. You might give BCBS's website in your own state a try.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll give BC/BS a try...ehealthinsurance indicates that they don't offer an HSA plan in Ohio...but I'll give them a look anyway...I've always been pleased with them in the past via employer coverage.

Cb
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
How can one become a member of a group and get group insurance if one is an individual? Which groups do you recommend?

SWR
Hi ShockWave, if that question was for me, it was because I wasn't clear enough. A while after I ER'd, my DW went to work to help out with last child college expenses. Just till college is over. Her work group plan covered her well. I and the last kid stayed on my pers. ins. But due to constant large rate hikes, we are going onto her work group plan, and paying the extra $ to cover the addition of the two of us. Just today in the mail, I got another rate increase letter of about 6.5% from the pers. ins. co. Their only expense for me has been to send me rate hike letters! No claims over the years! They just hiked the rate a big amount in January, now it is going up in September again. It will go up without me this time!

I never planned on sentencing my DW to working till we are 65 and Medicare. So hopefully there will be some better options in years to come.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:46 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly

I never planned on sentencing my DW to working till we are 65 and Medicare. So hopefully there will be some better options in years to come.
lots of luck on that one.

Better plan on voting for Hilary in 08 (ducking....here comes JG!!!)
Old 08-24-2005, 04:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
lots of luck on that one.

Better plan on voting for Hilary in 08 (ducking....here comes JG!!!)* *
I won money by betting that Hillary would win in NY. Wouldn't surprise me at all if she was elected president. This makes sense if you remember
that I see most people as having the IQ of a turnip.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

W was elected twice; can H be far behind

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote