Yahoo Quote not working

When I click on your link I get that error message. When I go to Yahoo! finance and look up a quote everything is normal. I have had no problems the past few days either

When I click on your link I get that error message. When I go to Yahoo! finance and look up a quote everything is normal. I have had no problems the past few days either

Looking up a quote is fine but downloading the data into a spreadsheet is not working. I am suspecting that Yahoo may have terminated the service.

Same issue since yesterday. I use a slightly different link but have the same problem..

=NUMBERVALUE(WEBSERVICE("http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s="&G90&"&f=l1"))

Anyone know another service that can be utilized using excels webservice?

My backup approach is to use Google Sheet using their finance macros and copy the prices to Excel.

My backup approach is to use Google Sheet using their finance macros and copy the prices to Excel.

Yeah I was thinking that but I prefer pressing ctrl alt and F9 to update. I think I might have found a work around by linking my excel product to a google sheet that auto updates quotes. If it works i'll post the information here.

So, a little more complicated than the yahoo finance method but still automated. I will need to verify tomorrow, when the market is open, that it does automatically update.

Create a google sheet that has the tickers and quotes which you are interested in. Then publish that sheet so anyone with the link can view it. This absolutely should not have any personal information on it.

Select data at the top of your excel sheet and select import "from web." Use the excel sheet address which you published in the previous step. Import this data into a separate tab and link the quotes you desire.

You can actually set this method up to automatically update as often as you want or by pressing the refresh button (I'm sure there is a hot key but haven't looked). Additionally much more detailed data retrieval is possible than what was available through yahoo.

Hopefully this does actually update the prices. Guess I will find out tomorrow!

Click the link directly

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=%22&G90&%22&f=l1

It tells you what you need to know
It has come to our attention that this service is being used in violation of the Yahoo Terms of Service. As such, the service is being discontinued. For all future markets and equities data research, please refer to finance.yahoo.com.

Probably Russian hackers

Rats. I've been using this for years to update my asset spreadsheet.

Anyone know of another service that works in a similar way? I.e. feed it a URL and get back a series of stock and mutual fund prices.

It's showing a new error now, It has come to our attention that this service is being used in violation of the Yahoo Terms of Service. As such, the service is being discontinued. For all future markets and equities data research, please refer to finance.yahoo.com.

I have read previously that Yahoo had changed/discontinued their finance API, but downloading via CSV file still works. https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1005785-yahoo-finance-api-stock-quotes-changed.html

Also saw that google finance is discontinuing their portfolio service

I think morningstar also use to provide this service but stop it as well, probably more to do with no AD revenue.

MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes Stopped working yesterday in my Excel spreadsheet.

I had some more time this morning to play with this and came up with a solution similar to the discontinued Yahoo quotes. This is more complicated in that it it runs an SQL query on your publicly shared Google Sheet. The Google Sheet will update the quotes using googles built in finance functions.

Here is a link to the example shared excel sheet that updates quotes utilizing a google finance function: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eXriokAKMz5FeKzvTXL4A7hk7X85w4lsdBR-HQeV12w/

This is the equation you will put into your excel cell of the quote you want. In this case I am referencing my "G96" cell for the ticker. Change this to whatever ticker you want or a reference to it.

=NUMBERVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(WEBSERVICE("https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eXriokAKMz5FeKzvTXL4A7hk7X85w4lsdBR-HQeV12w/gviz/tq?tqx=out:csv&tq=select%20C%20where%20A%20contains%20%22"&G90&"%22"),CHAR(34),""))

Essentially this code is running the following SQL query:
Code:
SELECT C WHERE A CONTAINS TICKER

It is set to export the selected data as a CSV file from this portion:
Code:
tqx=out:csv
You can also change this to html by replacing csv with HTML. Utilizing the HTML tag will allow the previous method I posted further up but look prettier. You will have to change to query to get whatever data you want such as: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eXriokAKMz5FeKzvTXL4A7hk7X85w4lsdBR-HQeV12w/gviz/tq?tqx=out:html&tq=select%20A%2C%20B%20 This is probably easier than the individual cell method but will require a set "Quote" tab in your document.

Here is the link to a google file that explains their SQL query syntax. If anyone wants to utilize this method and needs help please post here and I will help as required.

Last edited:
Here's the latest on Google Portfolio:
Google Finance is under renovation. As a part of this process, the Portfolios feature won't be available after mid-November 2017. To keep a copy, download your portfolio.

That leaves Morningstar and Yahoo as the two places (that I know of) where you can store a portfolio and get quotes on your investments along with other statistics. Morningstar requires you create an account, and you have access to statistics, customization, and some reports that are not premium content. I have found, however, that Yahoo updates the closing prices earlier than Morningstar.

I don't use a download to update prices in my spreadsheet, just copy/paste.

- Rita

Looking up a quote is fine but downloading the data into a spreadsheet is not working. I am suspecting that Yahoo may have terminated the service.

FWIW, this is working in Numbers (the Apple equivalent to Excel).

They had some trouble with it when the feature was first introduced a few months ago, but lately it has been very solid. I download price and many other attributes into a spreadsheet automatically. It was live prices at first, but eventually they made it only yesterday's closing price. Still useful since it's automatic.

I don't know where they get the data, but I don't think it's either Yahoo or Google.

Here's the latest on Google Portfolio:
Google Finance is under renovation. As a part of this process, the Portfolios feature won't be available after mid-November 2017. To keep a copy, download your portfolio.

That leaves Morningstar and Yahoo as the two places (that I know of) where you can store a portfolio and get quotes on your investments along with other statistics. Morningstar requires you create an account, and you have access to statistics, customization, and some reports that are not premium content. I have found, however, that Yahoo updates the closing prices earlier than Morningstar.

I don't use a download to update prices in my spreadsheet, just copy/paste.

- Rita

I certainly hope that does not effect the google finance functions available within google sheets. :facepalm:

I ended up with creating a portfolio in Yahoo Finance, exporting it to a .csv file, and then importing the quotes into a separate sheet. The process is not that cumbersome. I am okay with it.

Back
Top Bottom