Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

YE Tax Changes - NUA strategy ?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

YE Tax Changes - NUA strategy ?

Hi,
Anyone venture a "best guess" as to when we will know if the Busch Tax Cuts will be extended ? (Dividends and Capital Gains)

Weighs heavily into a 401k Rollover - NUA strategy if looking to retire in the next 5-8 months. Any thoughts on strategy with this uncertainty ?

-Mike G.
mmgoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right after the election. Lame duck session. Will extend it.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Right after the election. Lame duck session. Will extend it.
Actually I believe it is contingent on raising the debt ceiling but I could be wrong.

And if the debt ceiling is not raised a bunch of other budget cuts kick in, which in and of itself is not a bad thing IMHO.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgoebe View Post
Hi,
Anyone venture a "best guess" as to when we will know if the Busch Tax Cuts will be extended ? ...
Heck, if they are going to cut taxes on beer, couldn't they choose a better beer?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #5

I've been reading that it will be extended but there is an earmark attached. Something about raising the amount of money needed to study the drinking habits of Chinese Prostitutes.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #6

If Washington worked they would have compromise by now, such as: making Bush tax cuts permanent and added capital gains and dividends to AMT calculation.
I suspect, nothing happens until after election, possibly even having to make changes in 2013 retroactive to 2012. If you make >250K, chances are 50/50, if less, then I think you can count on them being extended.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Please spell out what NUA is.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #8

I think that can of Busch will be kicked down the road between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #9

NUA = Net Unrealized Appreciation

It would be appreciated if people could be a little descriptive when posting somewhat obscure TLA (Three Letter Acronyms). Thanks.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #10

I'll be surprised if anything is firm before the end of the year. It sounds like there are very firm positions regarding the >$250k taxes that will hold everything up. I bet there'll be a lot of retroactive and short-term changes once again.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks all. Looks like anyone with income over $250k and long term capital gains needs to cash in and capture the 15% rate before year end - to much uncertainty going forward. Could be a lot of selling at year end. Also, anyone with a large NUA option in their untampered 401K needs to take a hard look at a prompt rollover, selling, and capturing the 15% tax rate.....all before year end.
mmgoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Mmgoebe, I was a bit cocerned about the preferred tax treatment of NUA when I cashed out my company stock at the end of 2008. I had nearly $300k of NUA. One thing to beware of - even though the NUA itself is taxed at 15%, it may cause the rest of your income to be taxed at a higher rate. That NUA put me into the AMT for the rest of my small wage income which would have been taxed at only 15%. And don't forget about state income taxes.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote