YE Tax Changes - NUA strategy ?

mmgoebe

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi,
Anyone venture a "best guess" as to when we will know if the Busch Tax Cuts will be extended ? (Dividends and Capital Gains)

Weighs heavily into a 401k Rollover - NUA strategy if looking to retire in the next 5-8 months. Any thoughts on strategy with this uncertainty ?

-Mike G.

Right after the election. Lame duck session. Will extend it.

Right after the election. Lame duck session. Will extend it.

Actually I believe it is contingent on raising the debt ceiling but I could be wrong.

And if the debt ceiling is not raised a bunch of other budget cuts kick in, which in and of itself is not a bad thing IMHO.

Last edited:
Hi,
Anyone venture a "best guess" as to when we will know if the Busch Tax Cuts will be extended ? ...

Heck, if they are going to cut taxes on beer, couldn't they choose a better beer?

670.jpg

-ERD50

I've been reading that it will be extended but there is an earmark attached. Something about raising the amount of money needed to study the drinking habits of Chinese Prostitutes.:rolleyes:

If Washington worked they would have compromise by now, such as: making Bush tax cuts permanent and added capital gains and dividends to AMT calculation.
I suspect, nothing happens until after election, possibly even having to make changes in 2013 retroactive to 2012. If you make >250K, chances are 50/50, if less, then I think you can count on them being extended.
TJ

Please spell out what NUA is.

I think that can of Busch will be kicked down the road between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

NUA = Net Unrealized Appreciation

It would be appreciated if people could be a little descriptive when posting somewhat obscure TLA (Three Letter Acronyms). Thanks.

I'll be surprised if anything is firm before the end of the year. It sounds like there are very firm positions regarding the >$250k taxes that will hold everything up. I bet there'll be a lot of retroactive and short-term changes once again.

Thanks all. Looks like anyone with income over $250k and long term capital gains needs to cash in and capture the 15% rate before year end - to much uncertainty going forward. Could be a lot of selling at year end. Also, anyone with a large NUA option in their untampered 401K needs to take a hard look at a prompt rollover, selling, and capturing the 15% tax rate.....all before year end.:blush:

Mmgoebe, I was a bit cocerned about the preferred tax treatment of NUA when I cashed out my company stock at the end of 2008. I had nearly $300k of NUA. One thing to beware of - even though the NUA itself is taxed at 15%, it may cause the rest of your income to be taxed at a higher rate. That NUA put me into the AMT for the rest of my small wage income which would have been taxed at only 15%. And don't forget about state income taxes.

Back
Top Bottom