Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same bone-us as last year, and the year before that, and the year before that...

0, nada, zip, zilch, goose egg, nil...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

At my Aerospace Megacorp the annual bonus is typically 3-4%. Last year was unusually good and we all got a 6.5% bonus check in March. I expect it will go back down to about half that in this my (thankfully) final year.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Wow...I knew government was on the short end of the money stick, but some of these bonuses are crazy!

My bonus was tied to performance rating If I was in the upper 50% of ratings in my performance "pool," I got a bonus ranging from...well, I don't know, because it's a big Secret, but I usually got 1.5% of salary. I suspect that was the upper mid-range, and that very few people got more than 2% of salary. Sometimes I'd get a performance award too...$1K or $1.5K. Anyone whose standing fell below 50% got no bonus. The actual amount depended on how much money your "pool" received (mysterious) and how well the boss, and the boss's boss, liked you.

Amethyst
Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #24

When I worked on Wall Street my bonus was around 60-70% of my total comp. I lived off my base and saved all of the bonus that didn't go to taxes. It was a great setup that way.

When I worked for big strategy consulting, bonus or variable comp was about 1/3 to 1/2 of total comp. that was at senior levels (partner). For junior folks it was more like 10-20% of total.

I started my career with a general management consulting firm. They didn't have bonuses at the time. I found working in industries with bonuses to be better, all things considered.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Software Developer here...annual bonus for 2014 was 15% of gross.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My first bonus was a ham. I was 18 years old. Think my first bonus at a full time job was when I was 24 or so. I was thrilled even though it wasn't that much dough. Over the years the bonuses got bigger in terms of total $$'s and %'s.

At the end my bonus was roughly 50% of base salary which was pretty standard for the industry. Managers/directors used to get 15-20%, VP's 20-25%, SVP's 25-30%, EVP's 30-35%. While not guaranteed it was widely considered part of total comp and there was never a single year when they weren't doled out.

I used to bank 100% more or less which is one big reason that I stopped w*rking at 51.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #27

At F100 megacorp the bonus was 15-25% based on complex formula given individual and company performance objectives. Giving out bonus checks to my employees was one of the best parts of being a manager.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

am in the oil and gas industry, the most I have made was a 40% bonus, however employees now average between 10-20% annual bonuses.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #29

I never got a bonus, but had a program manager once share his bonus by buying cookies and punch for us to thank us for a great year. His new BMW was sitting outside in the parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I never got a bonus, but had a program manager once share his bonus by buying cookies and punch for us to thank us for a great year. His new BMW was sitting outside in the parking lot.

My first job out of High School, our bonuses consisted of cash inserted into balloons taped to a wall and each employee received three darts. It might of paid for lunch unless you were lucky enough to get one of the two $20 bills.

Because of all of the low paid employees were required to wear suits, often the salesmen would donate their older suits to the service employees.

Those were the times, I think I make more annually now then the first ten years of employment combined.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My two mega corps had about the same bonus structure.

Scientists, PhD etc start with a target of 5% of annual compensation being the bonus

Each promotion, your salary would increase by 10% and your bonus component by 5% points.

So first promotion your bonus goes up to 10%, then 15%, 20% etc

Management stepped up the scale quicker.

The bonus portion was dependent on personal, division and corporate performance.

You could get 0-2x of your target based mostly on corporate performance.

My bonus this year is estimated to be about 10%.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #32

I worked at Hi-Tech Megacorp for 25 years. Got my first bonus around year 7 or 8. It was 25% of base salary at the time. Stock option grants started a year or two after that. I got options every year in relatively stable amounts. The bonus however was highly variable depending on my individual performance, results of my business unit, and overall corporate performance. I remember two years when the bonus was zero... one was in the aftermath of the dot-com disaster; the other was 2009. Most years it was between 20% and 40% of base salary. The year I retired, it was 33%.

My base salary was not bad, usually in-line with salary.com or similar tools. So I never felt like the bonus was to compensate for low base. While the options were primarily a retention tool, the bonus was a mechanism to "connect" a large part of my total compensation to performance and achievement of specific priorities. Once you reached a certain level in the company (I was a director-level manager), it was generally understood that compensation would be highly variable and dependent upon results. I'm glad I worked at a company with that philosophy. I worked extremely hard, was compensated accordingly, and got out before any permanent brain damage.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #33

Was lucky and averaged about 15%
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Here we get quarterly bonuses. They are your salary X job grade factor X performance factor X company performance factor

Last year though the company did well the company performance factor managed to be 0 all the time And in spite of laying off 66% of the company in 2009 and another 5% in 2010 and 2011 we still seem to have a bell curve of performance according to management. I argued against this system but since last year was 0 bonus it kind of didn't matter much.

Best bonus I've had at another company was yearly 26% based on company performance...they also changed the rules the next year so paying out the max would be harder :P
Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #35

I worked in the healthcare industry for 35 years. Only bonus ever was to retire and stop working in the healthcare industry.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
Best bonus I've had at another company was yearly 26% based on company performance...they also changed the rules the next year so paying out the max would be harder :P
Quite a few years ago Megaconglomocorp re-jiggered the profit sharing formula, and the cheerleading began as corporate touted how great it was going to be.

After the first check that next year, they re-re-jiggered the formula. Guess they didn't want to be that generous...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Way back machine. When I first moved to this area I worked in a sawmill. They paid a 5% bonus of your pay for every full 40 hour week you put in, helped encourage attendance. It was paid the week before Christmas.

These were hard physical, dangerous jobs. Most of the 70 men that worked there lived paycheck to paycheck so this was their Christmas money. That Christmas week the owner came out an announced "bad year guys, not in the union's contract so we're not paying". I watched grow men cry, would be no presents for their family. He committed it wouldn't happen next year. He kept his word too, next year he paid the 5%, then announced he was shutting the place down for 2 weeks. Same reaction, grown men crying, there was a two week wait for unemployment so they got hosed again.

That and other crap, woke me up to get out of that industry. The plan for night school was soon hatched.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMaxx View Post
My first job out of High School, our bonuses consisted of cash inserted into balloons taped to a wall and each employee received three darts. It might of paid for lunch unless you were lucky enough to get one of the two $20 bills.
I might have to start giving out Christmas cash gifts in this format to my family members. "Who's gonna get lucky and find the $20?"
Old 01-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I might have to start giving out Christmas cash gifts in this format to my family members. "Who's gonna get lucky and find the $20?"

I'd be leery doing this with some of our family...somebody would get hurt and then I'd be sued!

Old 01-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #40

Bonus? They give out bonuses? Never saw one in real life.