Join Early Retirement Today

Year End Withdrawal to Pay Taxes?
Old 12-15-2018, 05:07 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Year End Withdrawal to Pay Taxes?

This should be a quickie:

Someone here (redduck?) once suggested that they figure out an estimate of their April Fed tax due. Then at the end of the year, withdraw that amount from their IRA and have 100% withheld.

I'm starting to think that's a good way to go.

Any downside to that idea?

In this market, I'd be likely 'banking' the money (taking it off the table) rather than missing gains for 4 months (as in a normal market).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 05:26 AM   #2

Yes, it's a good substitute for estimated tax payments. Don't forget to include the tax on the amount withdrawn from the IRA. And be sure to do it early enough in December to be sure the transaction is completed. The advantage is that any tax withheld from anywhere is considered to have been paid evenly throughout the year, so no worries about getting estimated payments in on time.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
This should be a quickie:

Someone here (redduck?) once suggested that they figure out an estimate of their April Fed tax due. Then at the end of the year, withdraw that amount from their IRA and have 100% withheld.

I'm starting to think that's a good way to go.

Any downside to that idea?

In this market, I'd be likely 'banking' the money (taking it off the table) rather than missing gains for 4 months (as in a normal market).
Is this the post? http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2156534
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes, it's a good substitute for estimated tax payments. Don't forget to include the tax on the amount withdrawn from the IRA.
Ok, thanks. But now that I think it, it would add to my total 'income' for the year by that amount, right? Which could affect my Medicare premiums, no?
Old 12-15-2018, 05:38 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Ok, thanks. But now that I think it, it would add to my total 'income' for the year by that amount, right? Which could affect my Medicare premiums, no?
Medicare premiums for parts B and D are subject to IRMAA. See the income tables here https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...s/part-b-costs
Old 12-15-2018, 05:40 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Ok so this was posted as late as yesterday and I completely missed it. DW is right; I am an idiot sometimes.

Mods, you can delete this thread if you want. Redundant.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:46 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Ok so this was posted as late as yesterday and I completely missed it. DW is right; I am an idiot sometimes.

Mods, you can delete this thread if you want. Redundant.
Don’t be so hard on yourself. Some topics are hard to search - too many hits. I think pb4uski’s idea is very good and don’t recall seeing it mentioned often, so let’s leave it.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, you are increasing your income and MAGI just to have the late years tax withholding option. So be careful and review the consequences.

It works best if you already planned to make that IRA withdrawal to meet RMD or planned Roth conversion, or whatever.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The IRA withholding approach is good. I do the same thing with my Federal pension. I withhold all of our taxes including capital gains, DWs self employment tax, etc. After paying taxes in April I review and adjust. When I sold a second house I bumped the rate up to cover the additional CGs.