Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Year Start Rebalancers
Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Year Start Rebalancers

I did my start of the year rebalancing today. Nice to lock in the 15% gain from last year. Of course if I hadn't rebalanced last year, I would have made a few thousand more in 2010.

I went down one percent to a 53% stock allocation.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

When you rebalance, do you take into account that $100K in tax deferred isn't worth as much as $100K in taxable?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
When you rebalance, do you take into account that $100K in tax deferred isn't worth as much as $100K in taxable?
Too complicated for me (even though I use a spreadsheet to work out the moves) although I can see the reasoning behind it.

Just looked at my current AA and I need to reduce equites 3% and bonds 1.5% to get back to 35/50/15. I'll work on it when I get back from vacation. All the moves will be within the IRA's to avoid taxes.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Of course if I hadn't rebalanced last year, I would have made a few thousand more in 2010.

I have a problem rebalancing INTO bonds right now. I reduced my AA in bonds in 2010 but stocks did well enough that the AA is a bit out of balance, about 2.5% too high in equities per planned AA. Not sure if it is worth rebalancing and going into bonds just makes me choke. If I could see this as 'locking in' gains and not forgoing gains it would be easier.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
gone traveling

I am seriously thinking about rebalancing monday. Currently we are 100% equities with about a 26% total return last year. I would like to rebalance to 70% equities and 30% cash, then use 50% of the cash to buy back into the market at a 15% drop and the other 50% to buy back at a 30% drop in the market. I have no interest in bonds (and bonds currently don't have much interest).
79protons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #6

That isn't rebalancing. That's market timing.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
You must not be from around here, Son. TromboneAl never pays any income tax.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
That isn't rebalancing. That's market timing.
Yep, and proper market timing is a method Warren Buffett uses to make lots of money. (Buy when others are scared).
Old 01-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If your AA is 60:40 stocks:bonds and you are sitting at 70:30, there is a very easy way of getting back to 60:40 without buying any bonds: Just take the money from stocks and go spend it on something else: new vehicle, more vacations, new body parts, etc.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I did my start of the year rebalancing today. Nice to lock in the 15% gain from last year. Of course if I hadn't rebalanced last year, I would have made a few thousand more in 2010.

I went down one percent to a 53% stock allocation.
Wait! You are actually going to be doing this Monday, right? Hopefully there won't be big changes and you'll get to "lock in" what you gained last year.

Audrey
Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
and proper market timing is a method
No objection from me. But if you want to do market timing, go ahead and call it market timing. Holding 100% stocks until you think the market might fall, then moving to 30% cash anticipating an opportunity to buy cheaply is not rebalancing.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
No objection from me. But if you want to do market timing, go ahead and call it market timing. Holding 100% stocks until you think the market might fall, then moving to 30% cash anticipating an opportunity to buy cheaply is not rebalancing.
Ok, I will change the way I worded it then. I plan to rebalance from 100% stocks to 70% stocks and 30% bonds with said bonds paying 0%. If the market drops 15% I will rebalance such that I am still 70% stocks and 30% bonds paying 0%. My term for bonds paying 0% is cash.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wait! You are actually going to be doing this Monday, right? Hopefully there won't be big changes and you'll get to "lock in" what you gained last year.

Audrey
Yes, the change won't take effect until close of trading tomorrow. But I did it today so that a big selloff tomorrow won't scare me out of doing what I've committed to doing, because that would make me a you know what.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not going to re-balance until I finish Otar's book (Advanced Retirement Planning). He has changed my views on virtually everything related to investing and retirement planning.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
Administrator

I take my investing advice from Will Rogers ("The way to make money in the stock market is to buy a stock. Then, when it goes up, sell it. If it's not going to go up, don't buy it!"), so I'm rebalancing into only stocks that will go up.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera View Post
I'm not going to re-balance until I finish Otar's book (Advanced Retirement Planning). He has changed my views on virtually everything related to investing and retirement planning.
If you are retired, I seem to remember he says the best time to re-balance is once every 4 years during (or is after?) an election year.

He says he has no idea why, except all his test data runs bears this out

PS
I didn't tell you on which 4th year to re-balance so as not to ruin the ending for you

PPS
Come to think of it, that is in his book "Unveiling the Retirement Myth"
Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

PPS
Come to think of it, that is in his book "Unveiling the Retirement Myth"[/QUOTE]

I read that one first, prompted me to get his newer book.....
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I take my investing advice from Will Rogers ("The way to make money in the stock market is to buy a stock. Then, when it goes up, sell it. If it's not going to go up, don't buy it!"), so I'm rebalancing into only stocks that will go up.
Sounds like a perfect plan!

Would you like to list those stocks that only go up! Wait! Wait! YOU could write a newsletter.

-- Rita
Old 01-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79protons View Post
I am seriously thinking about rebalancing monday. Currently we are 100% equities with about a 26% total return last year. I would like to rebalance to 70% equities and 30% cash, then use 50% of the cash to buy back into the market at a 15% drop and the other 50% to buy back at a 30% drop in the market. I have no interest in bonds (and bonds currently don't have much interest).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This thread is worthless without dates.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I've already set up to rebalance on Monday. I rebalance when my AA drifts 5% or more. My target equities is 51% but is at 56% before rebalancing.