Yet another CNBC thread.

From the early 1980's when WCIU in Chicago used to have a stock market channel on the Chicago local scene until today, I would watch the Financial channels as much as possible. I do not believe that too much information can exist. Since I am retired from my job as of Friday I look very much forward to watching CNBC whenever I can from the time I wake up until 5PM each day other than when I am otherwise occupied.

Kelly Evans is particularly smart and is willing to ask probing questions of guests. I think she is a superstar in the making of financial anchors.

Steve Liesman is obviously being talked to by the Federal Reserve members and is extremely useful as a talking board for the Federal Reserve's current point of view. The arguments that develop between him and Rick Santelli are priceless and their points of view could not be more diverse.

Jim Cramer is in my view one of the truly extraordinary minds in investing in the world today. He and James Altchuter are my favorite thinkers of how to invest in stocks. There is a difference between Jim Cramer saying buy stocks today and sell stocks today and stocks that Jim Cramer really likes. His idea of being focused and only owning stocks that you can afford to research for one hour each week is timeless common sense.

I remember is the Smart Money inaugural issue where Jim Cramer wrote about 10 pages on why to buy IBM and it promptly spent the next five years rising 1000 percent. In 2008 and 2009 he could not push Starbucks any more than he did, when SBUX fell under 10 dollars a share. For the past year I can tell he really likes SPIRIT airlines, originally pushed in March 2013 and reiterated numerous times since then including last week on his favorite stocks under $100. Jim Cramer lets you frequently has extended conversations with the CEO's of these companies and listening to who is running companies is a great idea when determining which stocks you want to buy. The video below is a good example of an excellent interview with Cramer and the CEO of spirt airlines. Being able to discern the difference from a 10 second thought of Cramer's to buy or sell or a stock that is one of his 10 favorites is something that comes from watching a lot of Cramer.

Cramer’s Alternative Airline Play for Skeptics

In short count me in as a big supporter of CNBC.

I watch CNBC in the mornings on the treadmill, read the Wall Street Journal most days and really enjoy Barron's on the weekends. I used to watch Maria on CNBC but her new show on Fox is a total waste of time. CNBC gets the best guests, Warren Buffet as an example but I trade very little, I'm a buy and hold person but look for long term trends like changing interest rates, etc. that reading and watching financial news helps me with my overall investment strategy......right now I've shifted most of my longer term bonds into shorter terms. I have a hard time watching Jim Cramer......he is so opinionated and most of the time he is wrong. Give me more Becky Quick......a smart gal that asks good questions of CNBC guests.

When our local TV provider recently rejigged the way they package various channels, CNBC became a stand-alone cost (rather than being included with some other channels like BBC that we do watch). We dropped CNBC rather than pay for it. We don't miss it at all.

CNBC watcher and listener on satellite radio. Squawk Box in the morning and Fast Money in the afternoon. Use to like listening to Maria when she was with CNBC but don't care for her new program on Fox.

Is that on FNC on Sunday morning or her weekday morning show on Fox Business? I dropped the package that Fox Business was in so I haven't seen her weekday 9 AM show. Now that Kudlow is off at 7 PM I wish I had the business channel for Lou Dobbs but not enough to add it back.

I tune in to Squawk in the morning, while slamming a pot of coffee, because it's less worse than local news. Some of the guests have thoughtful perspectives, free from the short-term trading and/or political spin, though most don't.

It's become increasing difficult to watch. Joe Kernan is mostly just annoying, though he seems to think he's funny. Should probably move to Fox Bidness. Becky Quick is still cute as a button, but the whole "Welcome back everybody" folksy schtick is starting to wear thin. I find I enjoy it more when all the regulars are on vacation.

As for my portfolio, it's on autopilot. No reacting to CNBC either way.

Last edited:
I like to watch CNBC. However, I usually just look at the picture because the volume is on mute where it helps weed out the noise and the screamers (Santelli and Cramer)

I watch Squawk Box occasionally if I happen to be channel-surfing at 5am, which isn't very often. They attract a different class of guest than most other financial shows, and a few of the regulars are very insightful. I also like the banter between the hosts... they don't really take themselves too seriously. It's a relatively harmless, up-beat, and entertaining way to stay up-to-date on the markets and the economy.

I don't watch anything else on CNBC, especially Jim Cramer. He may be the smartest guy on the planet, but I'll never know because I can't watch him. He just comes off as an arrogant, obnoxious, know-it-all loudmouth.

If you think Maria has been in the pasta bowl too much, you should have a look at Sue Herra and Michelle Caruso - Cabrerra. Some of the younger ones are taking the best time spots these days.

Dennis Gartman is a interesting guy to watch when he makes an appearance. I suppose if I played options, the option 1/2 hour would be entertaining.

Maria still looks good enough for me to watch. But Sue, my land what has happened to her...I would have to watch two TVs side by side to get her profile to fit inside the screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maria still looks good enough for me to watch. But Sue, my land what has happened to her...I would have to watch two TVs side by side to get her profile to fit inside the screen.

Years ago I saw a photo of Michelle in a bathing suit and she really filled it out everywhere. Now, she is starting to look "old" to me and maybe is on a diet? Or my old TV set is slowly dying.

Years ago I saw a photo of Michelle in a bathing suit and she really filled it out everywhere. Now, she is starting to look "old" to me and maybe is on a diet? Or my old TV set is slowly dying.

No, it's not your tv. Time has really taken it's toll on her mug. I would rather look at Sue or the parts that fit on my screen than her.

No, it's not your tv. Time has really taken it's toll on her mug. I would rather look at Sue or the parts that fit on my screen than her.

Maybe that's why they have her on international assignments these days...to get her off the NYC set. Every time I see Sue my memory instantly thinks of Hostess Twinkies for some reason.

I really only watch Fast Money anymore to listen to guests that may have some insight on trends. I'm too chicken to trade stocks.

Maybe that's why they have her on international assignments these days...to get her off the NYC set. Every time I see Sue my memory instantly thinks of Hostess Twinkies for some reason.

I really only watch Fast Money anymore to listen to guests that may have some insight on trends. I'm too chicken to trade stocks.

I enjoy listening to Fast Money also.. Sue needs to understand it is not just a coincidence that Kelly Evens is on there because she can follow a TelePrompter. Maybe she has a 10 year contract and doesn't worry about Monday weigh-ins. But if I was her I would be concerned that in a short matter of time, I could relegated to radio reading the closing stock prices for 30 seconds every hour.

Before Maria Bartiromo added some poundage, I tried to watch her.

You can now catch her on Fox Business Channel.

I watch any channel that has Jack Bogle as a guest. He seems to pop up on the three main ones that we get (Bloomberg, CNBC and FBC) on a semi-regular basis. I also drop in on BizTV (YouToo) occasionally .

Do they use the same "Monday weigh-in" scale for the men?

My personal opinion would be that women viewers looking for male TelePrompter eye candy are probably going to be more disappointed than the male viewers are. Even if they did make the weigh-in you are still having to deal with grey hair, chrome domes, and bad hairpieces!

Eh, I am way too distracted by the numbers on the screen to pay any attention to what the people look like.

They ran some footage with Sue in it, I think it was mid or late 90's (maybe Maria's last day?) and I was shocked. It's hard to believe that's the same person.

MCC has always struck me as having a witch face. Long pointed nose something about her eyes, mouth the whole facial structure. She can look nice sometimes and other times down right scary!

Before Maria Bartiromo added some poundage, I tried to watch her. Those other women do little for me, and the guys are totally beyond any hope of redemption.

Ha

The big loss hottie wise, was the exit of Erin Burnett to CNN.

The big loss hottie wise, was the exit of Erin Burnett to CNN.
I'm not drawn to the preppie look. early Maria, and Sue too, were my stimulants.

Ha

I guess I am the only one who likes to look at Becky Quick. She would be a real stunner with some augmentation surgery.

25247922-becky-quick-headshot-2013.240x240.jpg

Back
Top Bottom