Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Otherwise CNBC has become far too repetitive.
That is TV in general. I can usually watch 20 or 30 minutes of Bloomberg (on a rare occasion) before it starts to repeat.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I scan the financial news on the CNBC app every morning. But except for an occasional episode of American Greed, I don't watch CNBC.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

I like Ali Velshi on AlJazeera America
Ali Velshi

In particular, an interesting editorial opinion here:
http://alivelshi.com/newsnow/the-sol...an-cable-news/

Quote:
the-solution-to-whats-wrong-with-american-cable-news/
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
That is TV in general. I can usually watch 20 or 30 minutes of Bloomberg (on a rare occasion) before it starts to repeat.
CNN appears to be the champ at that!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I check in 1st thing in the morning just to see what Asia did and how Europe is doing but unless there's an important financial report I don't watch Squawk Box. I record Closing Bell. I used to record The Kudlow Report and while there was way too much politics I just FF through that, I miss TKR.

I'm looking for trends not advise especially about specific stocks. I hope the trends will give me some insight but it doesn't drive my overall investing. I have been using this info to get into and out of the S&P 500 index in my 401k and have made some decent money on the volatility. I know it is dirty stinking market timing but it's with a small amount of money that is a fun hobby for me.

I really like Rick Santelli, Joe Kernen and a few of the regular consultants. I hate Kramer and either mute or change the channel when he is on. He's a loud mouth with a lousy track record or another way to describe him is even a blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn.

I tried watching Fox Business when it came on and then on and off for a while but I didn't care for it. Maria's new show on Sunday doesn't seem to be interesting. I recorded the 3rd show this morning but I haven't watched it yet. The 1st was terrible, the 2nd had better content but I think I'll be deleting it from the DVR shortly. Market trends is my thing not interviews with corporate big wigs or business owners.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #26

From the early 1980's when WCIU in Chicago used to have a stock market channel on the Chicago local scene until today, I would watch the Financial channels as much as possible. I do not believe that too much information can exist. Since I am retired from my job as of Friday I look very much forward to watching CNBC whenever I can from the time I wake up until 5PM each day other than when I am otherwise occupied.

Kelly Evans is particularly smart and is willing to ask probing questions of guests. I think she is a superstar in the making of financial anchors.

Steve Liesman is obviously being talked to by the Federal Reserve members and is extremely useful as a talking board for the Federal Reserve's current point of view. The arguments that develop between him and Rick Santelli are priceless and their points of view could not be more diverse.

Jim Cramer is in my view one of the truly extraordinary minds in investing in the world today. He and James Altchuter are my favorite thinkers of how to invest in stocks. There is a difference between Jim Cramer saying buy stocks today and sell stocks today and stocks that Jim Cramer really likes. His idea of being focused and only owning stocks that you can afford to research for one hour each week is timeless common sense.

I remember is the Smart Money inaugural issue where Jim Cramer wrote about 10 pages on why to buy IBM and it promptly spent the next five years rising 1000 percent. In 2008 and 2009 he could not push Starbucks any more than he did, when SBUX fell under 10 dollars a share. For the past year I can tell he really likes SPIRIT airlines, originally pushed in March 2013 and reiterated numerous times since then including last week on his favorite stocks under $100. Jim Cramer lets you frequently has extended conversations with the CEO's of these companies and listening to who is running companies is a great idea when determining which stocks you want to buy. The video below is a good example of an excellent interview with Cramer and the CEO of spirt airlines. Being able to discern the difference from a 10 second thought of Cramer's to buy or sell or a stock that is one of his 10 favorites is something that comes from watching a lot of Cramer.

Cramer’s Alternative Airline Play for Skeptics

In short count me in as a big supporter of CNBC.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I watch CNBC in the mornings on the treadmill, read the Wall Street Journal most days and really enjoy Barron's on the weekends. I used to watch Maria on CNBC but her new show on Fox is a total waste of time. CNBC gets the best guests, Warren Buffet as an example but I trade very little, I'm a buy and hold person but look for long term trends like changing interest rates, etc. that reading and watching financial news helps me with my overall investment strategy......right now I've shifted most of my longer term bonds into shorter terms. I have a hard time watching Jim Cramer......he is so opinionated and most of the time he is wrong. Give me more Becky Quick......a smart gal that asks good questions of CNBC guests.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #28

When our local TV provider recently rejigged the way they package various channels, CNBC became a stand-alone cost (rather than being included with some other channels like BBC that we do watch). We dropped CNBC rather than pay for it. We don't miss it at all.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #29

CNBC watcher and listener on satellite radio. Squawk Box in the morning and Fast Money in the afternoon. Use to like listening to Maria when she was with CNBC but don't care for her new program on Fox.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #30

Is that on FNC on Sunday morning or her weekday morning show on Fox Business? I dropped the package that Fox Business was in so I haven't seen her weekday 9 AM show. Now that Kudlow is off at 7 PM I wish I had the business channel for Lou Dobbs but not enough to add it back.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I tune in to Squawk in the morning, while slamming a pot of coffee, because it's less worse than local news. Some of the guests have thoughtful perspectives, free from the short-term trading and/or political spin, though most don't.

It's become increasing difficult to watch. Joe Kernan is mostly just annoying, though he seems to think he's funny. Should probably move to Fox Bidness. Becky Quick is still cute as a button, but the whole "Welcome back everybody" folksy schtick is starting to wear thin. I find I enjoy it more when all the regulars are on vacation.

As for my portfolio, it's on autopilot. No reacting to CNBC either way.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I like to watch CNBC. However, I usually just look at the picture because the volume is on mute where it helps weed out the noise and the screamers (Santelli and Cramer)
KiraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #33

I watch Squawk Box occasionally if I happen to be channel-surfing at 5am, which isn't very often. They attract a different class of guest than most other financial shows, and a few of the regulars are very insightful. I also like the banter between the hosts... they don't really take themselves too seriously. It's a relatively harmless, up-beat, and entertaining way to stay up-to-date on the markets and the economy.

I don't watch anything else on CNBC, especially Jim Cramer. He may be the smartest guy on the planet, but I'll never know because I can't watch him. He just comes off as an arrogant, obnoxious, know-it-all loudmouth.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
If you think Maria has been in the pasta bowl too much, you should have a look at Sue Herra and Michelle Caruso - Cabrerra. Some of the younger ones are taking the best time spots these days.

Dennis Gartman is a interesting guy to watch when he makes an appearance. I suppose if I played options, the option 1/2 hour would be entertaining.

Maria still looks good enough for me to watch. But Sue, my land what has happened to her...I would have to watch two TVs side by side to get her profile to fit inside the screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #35

CNBC, Fox Business News, and Bloomberg are all programmed out of my channel guide. Don't see much point in wasting time watching this stuff. YMMV.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Maria still looks good enough for me to watch. But Sue, my land what has happened to her...I would have to watch two TVs side by side to get her profile to fit inside the screen.

Years ago I saw a photo of Michelle in a bathing suit and she really filled it out everywhere. Now, she is starting to look "old" to me and maybe is on a diet? Or my old TV set is slowly dying.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Years ago I saw a photo of Michelle in a bathing suit and she really filled it out everywhere. Now, she is starting to look "old" to me and maybe is on a diet? Or my old TV set is slowly dying.

No, it's not your tv. Time has really taken it's toll on her mug. I would rather look at Sue or the parts that fit on my screen than her.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
No, it's not your tv. Time has really taken it's toll on her mug. I would rather look at Sue or the parts that fit on my screen than her.

Maybe that's why they have her on international assignments these days...to get her off the NYC set. Every time I see Sue my memory instantly thinks of Hostess Twinkies for some reason.

I really only watch Fast Money anymore to listen to guests that may have some insight on trends. I'm too chicken to trade stocks.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe that's why they have her on international assignments these days...to get her off the NYC set. Every time I see Sue my memory instantly thinks of Hostess Twinkies for some reason.

I really only watch Fast Money anymore to listen to guests that may have some insight on trends. I'm too chicken to trade stocks.

I enjoy listening to Fast Money also.. Sue needs to understand it is not just a coincidence that Kelly Evens is on there because she can follow a TelePrompter. Maybe she has a 10 year contract and doesn't worry about Monday weigh-ins. But if I was her I would be concerned that in a short matter of time, I could relegated to radio reading the closing stock prices for 30 seconds every hour.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Do they use the same "Monday weigh-in" scale for the men?
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote