Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
No, please don't do that, most of us here appreciate your situation and want to see how it evolves.
Absolutely agree. Please don't let the minority opinions prevent you from expressing yours.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Absolutely agree. Please don't let the minority opinions prevent you from expressing yours.
+1

Old 02-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
And, please don't let the majority opinions prevent you from expressing yours.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
papadad, what type of commissioned sales work did you do before you retired?

Never worked in commissioned sales ... But I can respect others who do with some level of basic common courtesy and respect.

PS... They're not ALL scum and slime and sharks.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Arrogant? You gotta be kidding me. Maybe I'll further update this thread, maybe I won't. This is getting too serious and personal for my taste.

I've been contributing my 2 cents here and there. I'm interested in how your advice turns out. You don't have to answer each post.

Take care.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I do commissioned sales, but generally on an institutional level. However, when someone tells me no or to wait for their call I do. When someone is prospecting me, I want them to honor my no and not keep "hounding" me. Now, if they said they would call back and they hadn't for a period of 2 to 3 weeks, I would make a follow-up call. Usually, I can sense a brush-off and take a hint if nothing positive comes out of that call. :O)

Do please update this post if you do opt to meet with them.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
No, please don't do that, most of us here appreciate your situation and want to see how it evolves.
+1
Old 02-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
I'm sure he is busy too. He is likely trying to schedule multiple appointments with clients and doesn't want to blow you off and instead trying to prioritize you given your seemingly sincere intent. He is calling to give you pick of his schedule. Not high pressure at all. Courteous. Yes.

Many times people claim to "call you back " and get busy and never do so.
That's lost business for him and probably happens half the time so he NEEDs to be persistent. It's the nature of the role and the job.

I'd bet he also gives up his weekends and off hours to meet with people cutting into HIS time to spend with his own kids and family. Just tell him no thanks and move on... Or call him back as promised and set a time a few weeks out. You can always reschedule.

Be kind. Rewind. I think your view is a bit arrogant, as if your family time is more valuable - he already gave you a free seminar. Be decent enough to return his call and maybe even give him the feedback. He would probably appreciate that too and would definitely wait 2 weeks to call you back. I'm sure he is not intending to upset you ..

Better to go it alone. Tell him kindly that you enjoyed his free seminar (if you did enjoy it).

I will disagree with you....

The seminar was on Thurs.... so probably did not get a call until Fri.... and was told he would get a call back from OP... but still called 3 more times in say a 24 to 36 hour time frame.... that is pushy.... also, he can leave a message if there is something important that he forgot to say... even a 'call me back as I had forgot to tell you something'....

He should be spending his time on the others who have shown more interest in his products.... and give them the best times... first come, first served...

I could care less if he is giving up his weekends and evenings... that is the nature of his job.... kinda like a real estate agent, you have to show the properties when the client wants to be shown.... not when it is convenient for you...
Old 02-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

...snip..

I could care less if he is giving up his weekends and evenings... that is the nature of his job.... kinda like a real estate agent, you have to show the properties when the client wants to be shown.... not when it is convenient for you...
Yes to only give up weekends and evenings would be a breeze. That guy gets to sleep all night long. Nobody ever wined about getting a full nights rest. I didn't care for it, or being called 24x7x366 but it was part of the job.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I will disagree with you....

The seminar was on Thurs.... so probably did not get a call until Fri.... and was told he would get a call back from OP... but still called 3 more times in say a 24 to 36 hour time frame.... that is pushy.... also, he can leave a message if there is something important that he forgot to say... even a 'call me back as I had forgot to tell you something'....

He should be spending his time on the others who have shown more interest in his products.... and give them the best times... first come, first served...

Well...OP chose not to even answer the phone.

A simple "I'm sorry but I'm not interested" suffices.

You're also assuming OP had voicemail or a means to leave a message. Unclear if that was or was not the case. I presume not.

Many FAs don't leave messages due to confidentiality too..

But it's ok to disagree with me too.

(mod edit)
Old 02-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #31

Let's keep it friendly, eh?
Old 02-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #32

This is one of the reasons I ported landline to a tracfone. When someone asks for our number, I have the option of giving him/her the number we never answer. And never set up voice mail, so it acts as a filter for much of the annoying crap in this world.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #33

I have been in a similar situation OP. Pretending to tell you about SS when all they really want to do is sell crap. The guy is pushy. One call fine-3 more and no way. WE never met with ours when we intended to originally because of this.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I was curious about the SS analysis too. It was a big disappointment since there was no analysis. I ended up with a printout that showed how much better off I'd be after turning over our stash.
- wait til 70 for SS.
- we'll put you in many marvelous stocks that will pay you fantastic dividends.
- we have access to the best products around (annuities, preferreds)
UPDATE: More out of curiosity, and I knew I had to be home anyway, I scheduled to meet with him today. Never did get that promised personalized Social Security analysis. But he did give me another personalized analysis that - drum roll please - demonstrated how I will run out of money by age 85 or so. That is, unless I buy his guaranteed annuity.
So, very similar to Mr. Target 2019's experience. Interestingly, he pooh-poohed MY analysis that I would never run out of money, dismissed all of my comments challenging his assumptions, etc etc. I was polite for almost a half-hour, then politely told him this wasn't going anywhere so he may as well leave.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
UPDATE: More out of curiosity, and I knew I had to be home anyway, I scheduled to meet with him today. Never did get that promised personalized Social Security analysis. But he did give me another personalized analysis that - drum roll please - demonstrated how I will run out of money by age 85 or so. That is, unless I buy his guaranteed annuity.
So, very similar to Mr. Target 2019's experience. Interestingly, he pooh-poohed MY analysis that I would never run out of money, dismissed all of my comments challenging his assumptions, etc etc. I was polite for almost a half-hour, then politely told him this wasn't going anywhere so he may as well leave.

Any chance you misheard him Mystang? Maybe he said HE would run out of money by 85 if you didnt purchase the annuity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
any chance you misheard him mystang? Maybe he said he would run out of money by 85 if you didnt purchase the annuity.

sent from my ipad using tapatalk
lol +1
Old 03-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Any chance you misheard him Mystang? Maybe he said HE would run out of money by 85 if you didnt purchase the annuity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+2 ! :-D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
A quote from Investor's Manifesto by William Bernstein that comes to mind " If you act on the assumption that every broker, insurance salesman, mutual fund salesperson and financial advisor you encounter is a hardened criminal, you will do just fine."
This has always been my approach. I have never had any contact with a FA. I avoid any possibility of such. Have never bought any financial product that was being "sold" to me. I am always surprised when people accept the invitations for a "free" dinner/lunch/whatever. Not worth it.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #39

I find it a bit laughable to refer to these people as financial advisers. Most of them don't have a clue about how to give financial advice. They just know how to peddle high commission products to unsuspecting individuals.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #40

OP here. I am getting my deserved punishment for even meeting with the guy. DW has been giving me unrelenting grief about this.