Join Early Retirement Today

Yet another Roth IRA question
Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Yet another Roth IRA question

Hi Everyone,

Before I begin, my expenses are taken care of by my partner. He is 63 and I am 53. So, don't ask how I would live on $2000 per year.
Have yet another Roth IRA question.
If I have around $8,000 per year in income, e.g. plowing snow off driveways, etc..., can I contribute the full amount to my Roth IRA?
I think you don't have to file a tax return if you make $9,500 or less.
What are the tax implications?
Do I have to go out and get a TIN?
Or are these questions I should see an accountant about?
I have about 6 more years that I would like to contribute to the Roth.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Rob
robls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Roth is largely about creating tax-free retirement income. If your income level will continue to be low enough such that you owe no income taxes, a Roth won't offer any benefits, so isn't worth the trouble to set up.

If you have other reasons for a Roth, I suspect all financial companies will require a TIN to open an account.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Roth is largely about creating tax-free retirement income. If your income level will continue to be low enough such that you owe no income taxes, a Roth won't offer any benefits, so isn't worth the trouble to set up.

If you have other reasons for a Roth, I suspect all financial companies will require a TIN to open an account.
I already have a Roth IRA setup, and funded for years. I wanted to continue contributing to the Roth until age 60.
robls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$5000 is the limit, $6000 since you're over 50.

Are you self-employed? Do You Need to File a Federal Income Tax Return? seems to say if you have more than $400 in self-employed income, you have to file.

I guess you aren't having taxes withheld? Otherwise you'd want to file to get those back if you don't owe tax.

Are you paying social security tax? If not, and you do a Roth, they might hit you for that since you do owe that tax. That may be the reason for the $400 self-employed limit.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

Whoops, now I see: the TIN would be for your business. As long as you have earned income, and report it as self-employed income under your own TIN, AFAIK you can legally make IRA contribs.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #6

You can put more ($30k or so) into a Individual (Solo) Roth 401k (or non-Roth 401k) with self employment income. But that would require filing. Your full $8k would be deductible with a normal Individual 401k, so you taxes would be zero except for SE taxes.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #7

If you are honest and reporting your income a 6k Roth contribution makes sense. If not your on your own.