Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Canada doesnt have the subsidy because homes in canada cost $4 and are frequently eaten by beavers.
Oh, OK! You can get a tax deduction for this one down in bayou country, which costs $4 (well, $35K) but is undoubtedly frequently eaten by nutria, instead of beavers (or bunnies with pancakes and bacon). That would be the difference. Plus there would be no property taxes, due to a $75K homestead exemption.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #122
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Why is loan-sharking illegal? How is the VW lady better off with Wells Fargo than with Vinnie..
Vinnie will only break her legs if she doesn't pay. Wells Fargo will ruin her life.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
... undoubtedly frequently eaten by nutria, instead of beavers (or bunnies with pancakes and bacon).
There are people down there who catch and eat nutria. Talk about revenge ...

Have any of you ever tried?

PS. I remember now seeing it in a Bizarre Food episode.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hmmm.. in most of Europe mortgage interest is not deductible, I don't believe.. I should check. The way they establish people being "rooted" is that -quaintly- banks require 20%-50% down before they will give you a mortgage.

Encouraging SO-CALLED home-ownership with ZERO PERCENT DOWN and other down-payment mitigation schemes (some borderline fraudulent) is not encouraging rootedness or financial stability one whit. Doesn't matter whether the house or whatever other crap you "buy" with 0% down costs $80k or $800k. There certainly could and should be caps (minimum %) on down payments.

In addition, maybe you shouldn't be able to roll all the expenses (moving expenses and so forth) into the loan, nor should you get "cash back". The bank is not getting collateral out of your movers or your new furniture.. so why should they loan on that?
Maybe because they think it would be profitable under certain conditions. I see no reason to impose caps/floors on downpayments. It's their money. I'm not worried about how they make their money; that's for the shareholders to worry about.
Abreutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
Vinnie will only break her legs if she doesn't pay. Wells Fargo will ruin her life.
I consider physical harm a worse threat than bankruptcy. But that's just me. So you would be MORE scared if Vinnie said, "Now that I've broken your legs, and you're still not paying, I'm going to...

<Brace yourself>

Report you to the credit agencies to ruin your credit and probably force you into bankruptcy, which will impede your ability to get mainstream lenders to lend you money at favorable rates for the next 7 years!!!"
Old 07-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
that's for the shareholders to worry about.
Noooo, it's for the shareholders.. and the bondholders and the holders of mortgage-backed securities, and the hedge funds and the IBs and Fannie and Freddie and now the Federal government and ultimately the taxpayer to worry about, NOW.. isn't it!?!?!?

Because they all couldn't wait to make crappy zero-percent-down loans on 110% or even 120% of the sales price!!!!! How many exclamation points will do, here?
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Come on, people. Don't be shy.

Are nutrias as tasty as that dude Zimmern in Bizarre Food said?

PS. OK, no answer. I'd say if it is properly cleaned and prepared, I'd try it. Unless you are a vegan, why is it any different than other familiar animals?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Noooo, it's for the shareholders.. and the bondholders and the holders of mortgage-backed securities, and the hedge funds and the IBs and Fannie and Freddie and now the Federal government and ultimately the taxpayer to worry about, NOW.. isn't it!?!?!?
And what might have happened if the government hadn't guaranteed Freddie and Fannie's losses? This structure encouraged excessive risk taking, as far as I can see it, because it was easy to sell the bundled loans to a financial institution with the government's backing.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Encouraging SO-CALLED home-ownership with ZERO PERCENT DOWN and other down-payment mitigation schemes (some borderline fraudulent) is not encouraging rootedness or financial stability one whit. Doesn't matter whether the house or whatever other crap you "buy" with 0% down costs $80k or $800k. There certainly could and should be caps (minimum %) on down payments.

In addition, maybe you shouldn't be able to roll all the expenses (moving expenses and so forth) into the loan, nor should you get "cash back". The bank is not getting collateral out of your movers or your new furniture.. so why should they loan on that?
I'm pretty sure that in 1913 when the deduction was built into the tax code, that such practices were fairly limited.

BTW, this stuff works great when rates are low and home prices are heading north. Its only when the reverse is true that it becomes problematic.

I hear nutria tastes awful. I still remember Alton Brown mistaking a stuffed porcupine for a nutria and going on and on about nutria while his crew zipped their lips, I think it was on "feasting on asphalt". Also known for his low speed motorcycle crash that took him out for about a month.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Ah yes, here's the beaver/nutria/porcupine clip...starts at 3:30...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

CFB, you said it tastes awful. You wouldn't expect it to taste like chicken, would you?

Watching the clip now. AB is my favorite. I missed this episode.

PS. Disappointing. Just talk. And it was a porcupine not a nutria, as you said. No showing of meat preparation, seasoning, plating, dish presentation. You got to watch Zimmern's episode.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #132
Full time employment: Posting here.

To add on to Abreutime's comment, ummm YES it IS the bondholders job to worry (don't buy the bond), the MBS holder to worry (don'y buy the MBS), Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac's job to worry (if they didn't get hurt when things went poorly, they are hardly insuring anything) and eventually the taxpayers for that. So, the only thing I see at fault is the general idea that the government created Fannie and Freddie in the first place and (now explicitly, but originally implicitly) backed up their bonds with the federal government.

Also, if they had not existed in the first place, much of the fervor over the entire housing market may not have occurred in the first place (interest rates more in line with risk, as opposed to passing it off onto third parties, whether it's in the form of CDOs, MBSs or dishing it to the two F's)

And, to the point of the renting vs. housing deductions for the interest, one of the major reasons renting is not deducted is because principal is not deducted on the mortgage. The money they save eventually leaks through to the renter.

Don't believe it? In other words, just finding positive cash flow now is something many (not all, honobob) residential real estate investors look for. Imagine the extra difficulty if mortgage interest weren't tax deductible. All the renters would be paying for the extra interest right now (and, similarly, they ARE paying extra for the property tax). In other words, rental prices are fairly correlated to purchase prices. (not a perfect fit, but it includes ALL the expenses)
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #133
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abreutime View Post
And what might have happened if the government hadn't guaranteed Freddie and Fannie's losses? This structure encouraged excessive risk taking, as far as I can see it, because it was easy to sell the bundled loans to a financial institution with the government's backing.
Sure, but a lot of this thread talks about "blame".
I just think it's crazy to focus on the bad choices of (un-savvy, ignorant, lazy, smelly, overweight, smoking) borrowers when.. -no, no-one forced them into a bad loan- but no-one forced the lenders to lend to them, either. The greater fiduciary duty lies with the lenders, who have responsibilities to shareholders, bondholders and so on down the line. They also (one assumes) would have had a greater, not lesser, understanding of risk than the QVC shopper.

The lenders went and shot themselves in the head; the borrower was merely the bullet.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #134
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Sure, but a lot of this thread talks about "blame".
I just think it's crazy to focus on the bad choices of (un-savvy, ignorant, lazy, smelly, overweight, smoking) borrowers when.. -no, no-one forced them into a bad loan- but no-one forced the lenders to lend to them, either. The greater fiduciary duty lies with the lenders, who have responsibilities to shareholders, bondholders and so on down the line. They also (one assumes) would have had a greater, not lesser, understanding of risk than the QVC shopper.

The lenders went and shot themselves in the head; the borrower was merely the bullet.
I agree 1,000,000%. The difference I point out, however, is that when the companies fail, then the bondholders, shareholders, and employees FEEL THAT PAIN. They HAVE to deal with it (except for Bear Stearns, don't get me started). They made a poor decision based off of their own models and they are the ones who are going to pay for it. It was not brought up in the article, so I am not jumping on her specifically, because I definitely understand her situation, but the entire mindset that somebody will have to eventually bail them out (stimulus package, interest-free first homebuyer down payment of $10,000, drop interest rates to 2%) that I feel is applied unilaterally.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most of all it is an institutional thing. The individual loan officer and on up the line are gunning for the upfront fees, which for the most part they at least thought were pocketed for good when the deal closed. There were dis-incentives to being prudent, so people were not prudent.

The borrowers can always be found; it's just a numbers game. Dangle credit in front of enough people, you can be sure that a certain number will take it.

Ha
Old 07-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There are people down there who catch and eat nutria. Talk about revenge ...

Have any of you ever tried?

PS. I remember now seeing it in a Bizarre Food episode.
Before I met Frank, I dated a Creole man who lived down in the bayou where he grew up, not far from the house I pointed out. He got from place to place by pirogue, and was the real deal. He LOVED nutria and kept promising me that we would eat it some time and that I would like it. There is no way I would ever eat nutria, though!! You have to draw the line somewhere.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He got from place to place by pirogue
Isnt that a fried pasta dumpling stuffed with potato?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #138
gone traveling

I'd try nutria if it was wrapped in bacon.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

I'm pretty sure its a crockpot thing.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There is no way I would ever eat nutria, though!! You have to draw the line somewhere.
Hey, with enough cayenne pepper, blacken that sucker, how would you even know it was nutria?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote