Join Early Retirement Today

Yield and YTD return
Old 12-11-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Yield and YTD return

I know I am asking some very basic questions, but I’m just learning, so I hope you don’t mind. We are invested in PIMCO Real Return (PRTNX). If the yield is 4.62%, according to Morningstar, how can the YTD return be .71? I would have thought the return would also be 4.62%.
smooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Yield and YTD return
Old 12-11-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooch
I know I am asking some very basic questions, but I’m just learning, so I hope you don’t mind. We are invested in PIMCO Real Return (PRTNX). If the yield is 4.62%, according to Morningstar, how can the YTD return be .71? I would have thought the return would also be 4.62%.
Generally YTD reflects the change in NAV after adding div.* I'd bet your chart is heading south.* Yield probably reflects the divs paid. You can earn nice divs, but if the overall value goes down so does your overall return.* Bad year for bonds
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

So this fund had a negative return. It has an expense ratio of 1.4%. Morningstar classifies it as Long Government. Should we be in this kind of fund at all? I'm looking for a Vanguard fund to replace it. I see the Long Term Bond Index, which has an ER of .18% and has a YTD return over 2%. But I thought I also read on here that it is not a good time for long term bonds. Is Long Gevernment the same as long term bond? Is there a better option?
smooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:10 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1.4% expense ratio on a bond fund is outrageous. If you decide to stick with long govt bonds, at least find a cheaper fund. Vanguard offers cheaper funds, and there is an exchange-traded long govt bond fund (TLT) that is a lot cheaper than that.

Personally, I don't think long bonds are a real great place to be right now. I'd probably stick with medium term or something like the Lehman Aggregate bond index. Either that, or go find a high yielding CD. Looks like you can get CDs yielding 5% or better with terms of a couple of years.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote